“First time to Beijing”

Ranked #63 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“First time to Beijing”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location and good value. The breakfast had a good range and the staff are excellent. The only negative is the bedroom and bathroom need updating although it was all very clean but the furniture looked tired.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing and for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our hotel location, breakfast and staff. Regarding your comments to our bedroom and bathroom, we have taken up the matter with the hotel operation team. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, after all it is only through comments such as yours that we can only hope to improve our services and facilities. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
cj072009
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here with my grandson a couple of years ago for a week. The staff was so great and was immensely helpful to us. When we wanted a cab or arrived in one, there was a staff member standing outside who approached the driver and asked what we were going to be charged. If it was too much the employee then argued with the driver to make sure we weren't overcharged.
I also celebrated my birthday there and in the evening there was a knock on my door and when I opened it there was a person standing there with a small birthday cake, plates and forks. It was so thoughtful.
The only problem I had was that I booked the hotel through Northwest/Delta and I forgot to ask for air miles credit while there. When I got home I sent an email but the response was that they wouldn't give me any miles and I should contact Northwest which I did. They, too, refused saying it was up to the hotel.

Room Tip: our room overlooked the alley but it wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guest,
Greetings from Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing! We appreciate you choosing our hotel as your home away from home. We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our staff service. We are also very happy to know that our colleagues were helpful during your stay. Regarding your issue regarding collecting air miles, we have taken up the matter with our hotel operation team. If you are an IHG Rewards Club member and you booked the room through our brand website or our hotel, you will get the points, and the points could be changed to air miles. However you booked the room through the Northwest/Delta, and if the agency provides air miles to clients, the agency should give you air miles. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, after all it is only through comments such as yours that we can only hope to improve our services and facilities. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have opportunity to welcome you again.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is our first trip to Beijing. The breakfast spread was reasonable with Western and Chinese dishes. There was a Chinese section to let international guests sample different types of noodles with wonton (dumplings) and beef balls. Our family enjoyed that so much we had that in our four breakfasts there. In addition, there was a fresh fruit juice of the day. We loved that too.

The location is convenient. It is a few minutes drive to Tiananmen Square and the Silk Market. It is also walking distance to three of the Peking duck restaurants we tried. All three restaurants were recommended by the knowledgeable staff at the concierge. If you are into books, the hotel is also walking distance from the Wangfuqing bookstore.

Having read the reviews of age of this property before I arrived, I had no high expectations. We were upgraded from a superior to a club room. The bed was very comfortable. The room was cleaned well every day. They obliged with an extra bottle of water as there were 3 of us. However, I did suggest to the staff that basic renovation to the bathroom be done, similar to that done to the Crowne Plaza Gloucester Road that we stayed at previously. The current shower head is fixed to the wall. We prefer those that have the shower hose.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MattAlexSK
Dear guest,
We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our breakfast, hotel location and service. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I've traveled to China over 15 times in the past three years and have had middling experiences. The line between 5 and 4 and 3 stars isn't always as clear as it is here in the US, so to some extent, hotel selections are always something of a roll of the dice. Well, this time I got a pair of sixes. I'd like to start with the staff. For a hotel rated at 4-stars, the staff here spoke very credible English, but more importantly, the staff was incredibly inviting, courteous, always-smiling. I was there for two weeks, and every time I left the building and returned, there was a friendly face to greet me. It's a small thing, but it makes a difference for this kind of trip. Front desk staff was also VERY professional. The lady who helped me, Candy He, in particular provided exceptional service. Very clear, very prompt, and again, service with a smile. The rooms were nice. Came with robes, was always air-conditioned (even when I was not inside, and the card was not in the slot---this was a LIFE SAVER since I was there in June when the outside temperature was scorching hot. The housekeeping service was the friendliest I have ever witnessed. The lady who was in charge of my room would come every day with the biggest smile I have ever seen (I was usually in the room during those times of the day, working). I miraculously visited the gym just about every day, and the service there was consistent, and friendly, and solid. Food in the breakfast buffet was also a notch above most dining experiences in Beijing hotels. Made-to-order eggs, fresh tea/coffee, and an interesting selection of ethnic cuisines including pan-asian but also Indian food as well (from a very competent and authentic Indian chef on staff). Wi-fi in the room was bulletproof (I should preface this by saying that this was the case in MY room at least--which was on the 2nd Floor). Hotel lobby bathrooms were clean (in fact, folks from the office would sometimes pay trips to this hotel lobby to use the facilities---which is a GREAT sign).

My reasons for returning would have to be the staff, though. Ms. He at the front desk sent me on my way on a very bright note, and those final moments can sometimes define even a two-week experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank derb63
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our staff service and food. We are also very happy to know that our colleagues were helpful during your stay. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

It was a disappointed experience staying at this hotel. Although the price is acceptable, but the room size is too small (when compare to a standard holiday inn room). This hotel need a major remodeling...it is too old! I was staying at the top floor-executive floor, non-smoking; but when walk into the hallway, very strong of smoking odor! Lacking of good management! If I ever go back to Beijing, I will definitely avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Do not pick this one if you expect a "Crown Plaza Quality"!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest.
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing for your recent stay and sharing your experience. Regarding your comment to our facilities, we have taken up the matter with the hotel management team. Please rest assured that appropriate steps are being taken to avoid any recurrence. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, after all it is only through comments such as yours that we can only hope to improve our services and facilities. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Northern Virginia

- stayed for 2 nights
- very convenient location & access
- staff was very friendly & helpful, though could do with better training & English skills
- recommend getting the breakfast package, really worth it
- hotel rooms were very comfortable and clean
- wifi quality was patchy and can be improved upon

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,
We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our hotel location, staff, breakfast and room. Regarding your comments to WIFI service, we have taken up the matter with the hotel IT team. Please rest assured that appropriate steps are being taken to avoid any recurrence. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in Beijing in the not too distant future.
Falling Waters, West Virginia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great location, but more importantly, superb customer service and comfort. After a long flight, this was a hotel that made me feel "at home" and not going to another hotel. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, because they listened to me and offered assistance when I needed it (or offered great suggestions and recommendations). This comment extends from the front door porter service to front desk and up to guest services. The managers were visible and interested in your thoughts about their hotel -- what a nice change of pace. I highly recommend this hotel to all of my colleagues in the U.S. planning a visit to China. Keep up the excellent work -- because I will be returning for my third visit in a year -- you have really made a positive impression on me.

Room Tip: I have stayed several times at this hotel - and each room has been very comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
CPBJwangfujing, Manager at Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear guest,
Greetings from Crowne Plaza Beijing Wangfujing! We appreciate you choosing our hotel as your home away from home. It’s a great pleasure to learn that the hotel impressed you deeply. We appreciate your positive comments with regards to our hotel location and service. We are also very happy to know that our colleagues were helpful during your stay. Thank you for your sincere comments and we will continue to provide excellent service in the future.