“Good location and excellent breakfast”

Landmark Towers Hotel
Ranked #17 of 932 Speciality Lodging in Beijing
kolkata
“Good location and excellent breakfast”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in May 2014. The hotel is located about 5-6 min walk to either of the Metro stations-Agriculture exhibition centre or Lingmaqiao on Line 10. From there it is easy to reach the important sight seeing places in Beijing like Forbidden City, Gardens of Heaven, Hutoungs etc.Also there are resturants and eateries around the hotel. Further the Lufthansa Shopping Mall is 4-5 min walk from the hotel.
The room size is good. For my daughter we had taken an extra bed. Even with the extra bed the room did not give the feel of being congested. Although our room was facing the elevated road/highway, the sound insulation was very good. There is no wiFi in the room but the data cable is provided. This worked quite well. The reception area and common areas have good wifi connectivity. The best part of the stay was the lavish breakfast spread. This included continental as well as typical Chinese breakfast with 2-3 cut fruits. We enjoyed the coffee from the machine rather than what was being served. The service was good. My daughter also used the fitness centre and pool and was happy about it. The embassy area is close to the hotel and around 12-15 min walk. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms will give a good view. Also choose a room not facing the highway/elevated road
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank travelerKolkata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed in the hotel in March 2014. We requested non-smoking rooms and were given rooms from a non-smoking floor. The room smelled horrible. We asked to change rooms and were given new rooms in a different non-smoking floor, but the smell of cigarettes was just absolutely horrible.
We asked help for restaurant suggestions from the concierge, but unfortunately no one of the three persons at the desk spoke any English.
The visit in the hotel was so bad that I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is located close to the diplomatic missions area. We stayed for two days. The room charge did not include breakfast however at the reception you could pre-order breakfast for next morning against 120 yuan and that was actually cheaper than paying on site. The buffet breakfast was very good with plenty of choices of western and oriental dishes. There is a very small supermarket on the ground floor. I needed to buy band-aids but it wasn't available there. Then I was told to go to the adjacent Office building, Basement 1 where at the German clinic I could buy them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Spent 3 nights in May 2014 as part of a tour. All round good hotel with a nice restaurant featuring buffet dinner and breakfast. Food is a mix of Chinese and Western. Location not central but useful. Shopping centre nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is perfectly acceptable. As it forms part of a complex which includes apartments, it seems very apparent that it is used for business and conference purposes. I stayed there with my tour group on my recent holiday trip to China. I had a good view over part of the city and I did find the hotel quite comfortable. The foyer area is a bit spartan with just a few seats. The food (buffet) was very good with a very good choice of both Chinese and western dishes. As Beijing is such a huge city it was somewhat difficult to assess just where we were acutally located in the city but in our case it didn't matter since we had a tour coach to take us around. I'm not sure Beijing is the type of city that you would want to be wondering around on your own

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank williamsdew
Benque
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Ok, i am not one to write negative reviews as I try and see the good in everything but this was just a carnival of mistakes from the beginning.
We were shown to our room at the hotel, and the first thing that happened was the door handle came off in my hand, when I opened the door. No problem we changed rooms while they were fixing it.
The lights went out in our room , because apparently the workman. ( so they say) drilled through a wire.
Don't know how that happened replacing a lock. What could he be drilling, and why is there an electrical wire in the door???
Didn't make any sense to me. Got settled in. Room was very basic and clearly dated.
Decided to go downstairs and wait to meet 6 friends. ( we are all male and it was going to be boys night out, hitting the clubs in Beijing.
So waiting downstairs in the cafe/restaurant, get approached by an Asian female, who asks if I mind her sitting down at my table. Being polite I say no problem. She orders a drink sits for 10 minutes exchanges about 3 sentences with me and my friends show up.
I pay for mine and even as a courtesy her drink, as I get up from the table. She grabs my wrist and yanks me back down to the table and says I have to pay her money. For what I ask? I sit down with you at your table! So what I replied, you asked if you could sit there, we didn't even exchange more than 3 sentences. Not wanting a scene and getting ticked off by the minute, I got up to leave and she signals for some guy to come over and demand money. A menacing leather jacket dude comes over and demands money from me. My friends seeing and sensing the shakedown come over and surround this guy and start telling him, to move along.
Okay learning experience don't talk to anyone because it will cost you money. Lol
My friends now laughing at me say lets get a taxi and find a dance club.
Alright we pile into a couple taxis and ask the guy to take us to a popular club close by. (Another stupid move) after about a half hour taxi and us all complaining about where are you going? We pull up to a industrial looking building with apparently a disco inside. Hmmmm?.
After getting fleeced from the taxis , we stroll into the club. Okay now it looks promising.
Music is pumping ,people are dancing ,door fee was paid by all of us and off we go to the dance floor. All my friends start to mingle out on the dance floor with people and have a good time.
We paid for all our drinks as they came to the table. Spent maybe 2 hours there.
Okay the boys have had enough and it's time to go home. We get up to leave and get accosted by a managerial looking lady. Pay bill now! What bill? We paid our drinks, we paid our door fee, what could we possible owe.? She proceeds to break down the fees for us.
Dance fee.. What the heck is that.? 100rmb per song that we danced. ( isn't that what people do at dance clubs dance?
Singing fee. Lol never heard that one before. Apparently one of the group was singing while he was on the dance floor.
A talking fee, as they talked to other people on the dance floor and they need to get paid.
A taxi referral fee, because the taxi referred us to this place.
Wow that was ridiculous. The total came to about $600 usd equivalent.
We all said no way. This is just extortion and taking advantage of us as travellors. Told her we paid the taxi, paid the drinks,paid the door fee, that's it. We are leaving she said you can't leave. We said call the police and if they tell us we have to pay this fee then we will.
She yelled some words out in Chinese that we didn't understand and before you know it, we are surrounded by about 20 guys all armed with knives. This was not cool , and was getting to be like a Hollywood movie. After some deliberations we managed to get out of there with our skin intact and still got shaken down for $400 usd.
We all were really mad and furious. It ended up being a total brutal night all the way around, it started bad and ended bad.
I mentioned to the hotel manager what happened starting with the shakedown on their property in the restaurant, and then the taxis that the hotel got for us. He just shrugged and played stupid.
Wasn't getting anywhere with them, even though they arranged the taxi. I called my businessman friend in Beijing and told him what happened. He said he would be right over.
Here the vacation started to turn around.....
My friend came in and chewed out the front desk, they were told that they had treated us badly and took advantage of us, and knew very well the taxi that was called and that they had received a cut of the money taken from us. I received ALL my money back right away, and was upgrade for another night to a better room for free. Next off to the nightclub, my friend strolled in and came out with all our money and an extra 200$ usd for our troubles. Wow don't know what happened, as there was 20 armed guys when we were there. He walked in and out in 10 minutes with all our money refunded. He than took us all to a great nightclub.

Morale of the story.
1. be careful who you talk to it might cost you
2. Have friends in high places to bail your butt out of trouble.
3. Be careful about where taxis are taking you.
4. Get recommendations from other travellers,friends or Tripadvisor reviews.

In conclusion. Hotel was average, the shenanigans were downright underhanded.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BENQUE R
Penzance, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Beijing is a vast city with horrendous traffic (8 ring roads so far) so seemed to take ages to get anywhere so hotel is probably long way from most places in Beijing, The hotel was clean on the whole though our room needed a thorough hovering, rubbish behind the bedside table. The room was much better lit than others we stayed in, comfortable bed well equipped bath room. Found it impossible to get a snack in the evening, dining room only did buffet meals, situated in a large complex though with Starbucks & a local café. The staff on the whole were friendly & helpful but the Chefs on the last morning, despite being early were very bad tempered & unhelpful.

Room Tip: Do not expect too much
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple