“Perfectly reasonable”

Ranked #2,249 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Bengaluru, India
“Perfectly reasonable”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This place is perfectly reasonable for the price--I paid 600 RMB for a room on the executive floor. There is no wifi in the rooms (you'll need an Ethernet cable), but since my laptop has no Ethernet port I made a fuss and they finally came up with a little router to put in the room, which worked fine. The TV was broken but they came and fixed that right away too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Thai first
Toronto
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Let me start by saying that altogether the hotel was alright. Yes, the staff did not speak much English. This is China.

The room was moderately clean, with a decent bed. The WiFi offered average speeds, so no complaints there.

With this in mind, there was one very irritating issue, and that is cigarette smoke coming in from adjacent rooms, the hallway, and it almost seems like the ventilation system itself. People in China smoke quite a bit, so it's normal culturally, however to me it was tremendously annoying.

Probably will not repeat.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DrSavant
UK
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed for a few days at the Debao whilst on business in Beijing. The hotel is within walking distance of the Beijing North Railway station which is one Subway Line 2 (blue line) from Dongzhimen station which is the terminus for the airport express, it is also within walking distance of the Beijing exhibition center and Beijing Zoo. The rooms are furnished to a nice standard and what you would expect from a 3 to 4 star hotel. Room prices were very reasonable, much less than a similar standard hotel in the UK but breakfast was extra which was a bit of a surprise. The hotel has a leisure centre and a couple of restaurant but I used neither so I can’t comment for quality. The only thing I can mark the hotel down on is that there was not much public seating in the reception area and what was seemed almost permanently fully used. The staff was very attentive and made my stay very enjoyable. The immediate area outside the hotel was safe and had several western style fast food outlets; also Beijing North Railway station adjoining shipping mall has lots of Chinese restaurants, a MacDonald’s, Pizza Hut and Costa Coffee shop

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Kiryat Motzkin, Israel
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Fine basic hotel very close to the exhibition center, 5 minutes walk.
Rooms (regular) are very basic and not very new.
Services of the hotel are basic.
Breakfast is not bad and give normal variety to foreigners too.

Free internet (wired) in rooms and free wireless internet in the lobby.

English level of most of the hotel employees is pretty poor and only housekeeping dept. has people with normal basic English knowledge.

Generally hotel staff is pretty service oriented and kind.

Room Tip: If you can afford go for superior rooms which are re-innovated.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank HaifaMiu
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Cheap, simple, more chinese then I am used from Shanghai.
Nice Concierge but it was too cold for a Great Wall trip.
Breakfast only 1 star.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank EhrlichA
australia
Reviewed 9 August 2006

The hotel, although not in the Beijing city center, has a good location. It is few minutes away from the Beijing zoo (with the giant pandas) and even closer to a great market which is full of cheap, cheap clothes and extremely cheap designer bags and purses, there is a great variety of restaurants neabry, from japanese to pizza outlets. it is a five-minute walk from the nearest metro and trains are inexpensive and quick and take you to the city center in no time.

The rooms are extremely well maintained and look great, the bathroom is also extremely clean and well kept with some good amenities. the tv has a great movie channel with a good choice of movies as well as the news channel (cnn). I have to say, that we had no problems with the a/c system, even though we stayed in august. The rooms also have a good view of the surrounding area.

the hotel staff are extremely friendly and curteous and even kept half our luggage for us free of charge while we visited neighbouring mongolia for week and upon our arrival, put us in the same room.

overall, the hotel has a good location and looks more like a five star hotel, with a shoopers paradise nearby. The food itself wasnt the best but the diversity of the nearby restaurants more than makes up for it. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here at Debao and will stay here agin when i reutnr to Beijing.

• Liked — clean rooms, great staff
  • Disliked — food
  • Tips/Secrets — we booked the hotel once i was in beijing, so we managed to get a good deal
  • Stayed August 2004, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank hazepot67
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 June 2006

We are both Americans, I am originally from America, and my wife is from Japan. We stayed from 27-30 May.

Positive Aspects:

1. Lobby is quite beautiful

2. Rooms are quite clean

3. Both high and low profile comfortable pillows

3. Service was good, and hotel staff were friendly

Negative Aspects:

1. Matresses were between firm to extra firm, which made it difficult for us to sleep. Although some people prefer a firm mattress, the majority of people in the world prefer a medium or soft mattress. Hotel should generally choose a medium mattress, because that will suit the needs of the majority of people in the world.

2. The hotel lobby and floors were air conditioned, and there were individual room A/C controls. However, the room A/C was not working. I like a slightly cool temperature for sleeping like most western people, but it was too warm for comfortable sleeping. After complaining to the Front Desk, the manager was called, who explained that they don't turn on the room A/C until the outside temperature goes above a certain point.

When I objected to this policy, which apparently is the same policy for many hotels there, he finally agreed to turn it on. However at 2am I woke up sweating, and I am not overweight. Therefore, didn't get much sleep on the first night.

Next day I complained about this, and the manager informed me that the hotel turns off the room A/C between 1-6am. I told him that we need A/C especially between 1-6am, and advised him that if he didn't provide A/C during that time, I would recommend to our tour guide and leaders that they use a different hotel next time, and our tour had more than 40 people.

Since these tours come frequently, the manager finally agreed to give us 24 hour A/C. Before considering a hotel in China, you need to first ask the hotel 2 questions. First, do you have A/C if the outside temperature goes above 72 degrees F, and second, is this 24 hour A/C? Otherwise, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise!

3. The shower was irritatingly weak, apparently in an effort to conserve water. Therefore, it took me about 45 minutes to take a shower, which I am sure actually used more water than if it had been normal pressure. I don't believe that guests should have to pay $85 / night to get irritated and frustrated like that.

4. The TV had only one foreign language channel, which was CNN in English. Most hotels in other countries will offer 2-3 English channels, NHK Japanese channel, Airirang Korean channel, and usually a German or French channel.

5. The free breakfast at the hotel was one of the worst ones that I have ever eaten at a hotel. I won't go into details.

The Debao Hotel is rated as a 4-star hotel by the Chinese system, however I would rate it as between 2-3 stars, and probably closer to 2 stars.

All in all, we had a great time in China, so I would recommend a China tour, but do yourself a favor and choose another hotel.

Stanley Schultz

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels