“pleasant stay if not for some unpleasant encounters”

Grand Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #39 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
singapore
“pleasant stay if not for some unpleasant encounters”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My sisters and I stayed at the hotel from 5th to 11 the April this year. We took a two bedroom at club floor. It would have been a great stay if not for a few unpleasant encounters.
Somehow I felt that the my requests was not taken seriously regarding particular room requirements.
While we appreciate the smooth check in and average airport transfer. Average, because while the vehicle was comfortable, the chauffeur was cold and uncommunicative. There was not even a word of welcome or greeting or offer of towels or drinks! We did not feel that we are welcomed at all!

1) I strongly requested for a newly renovated room as some members of my family have respiratory problem, but was given one with stained carpet, dated furnishing. The 2nd bathroom really need more hooks, shelves. As it is we have to remember to get our towels, bath mat from the master bathroom every time we take our shower.
2) We had two lunches at made in China. While the food was delicious, the server's attitude were not exactly to be commended. Both times the service persons displayed impatience and annoyed expression when we asked for more details about the menu. They seemed to forget that we are foreigners and not familiar with their food.
3)housekeeping was slacked. Twice we pressed the clean the room button before we went out for our city tour only to find that the room uncleaned when we came back at 4+ pm!
4) breakfast at Grand cafe has limited choice and during our stay the toaster was not working from the 3rd day, food often not replenished or taking a long time to.
5) the Audi that was provided for our departure to the airport had an unpleasant odour in the car.(we suspected it's the uniform of the driver). I don't think this is acceptable, especially when one pay premium charges one expect premium treatment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Reviewer

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Beijing!

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some very constructive feedback on our hotel through Trip Advisor. It is only through this type of feedback that we are able to critically assess our performance and understand the required areas of improvement.

It is clear from your ratings and comments that we could improve in a number of areas and that we did not fully meet your expectations. Please feel rest assured that this will be addressed and brought to the attention of the relevant Senior Executives and Managers in order to take corrective action with specific reference to your comments on the service attitude in Made in China, promptness of housekeeping, breakfast in Grand Cafe and the transportation service both on arrival and departure.

Despite some of these issues we do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Beijing in the near future and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 11 April 2012

If you are a tourist looking for sightseeing in Beijing, it will be a convenient place for you due it's location. Forbidden city, wangfujing, tianenmwn sq. Many places will be very close to you.
If you are looking for shopping, same things will be valid.
If you are a business traveller and do have time not to rush for the airport, it is convenient and with full amenities you need.
Quick check in and out is increasing satisfaction.
Free internet, brrakfast menu and etc are all at your service.
If you are eager to eat Peking duck, go to Made in China restaurant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Indeed we do have a fabulous location for both the leisure and business guest alike. Furthermore, thank you for highly recommending our Peking Duck in our Made in China restaurant, where we continually strive to provide an authentic Beijing cuisine dining experience.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed in the hotel from 2-9 April. This would be a great hotel, and certainly i would have rated it with a 5-star, but for two setbacks which bothered me througout my stay there :

(1) Complementary Wifi (or rather the lackof) - i'd booked the hotel through one of the agencies on Tripadvisor. At the point of booking, i KNOW it was clearly stated the internet surfing in the hotel would be offered for free. Although this was not subsequently stated in the hotel voucher, i hadnt thought it was a big problem as i have stayed in several other hotels in Beijing before and the WIFI was always free to use for staying guest. However upon check in at Hyatt Beijing, i was informed there is no complementary WIFI. Being a frequent traveller, i found this rather disconcerting. Given that i had conveniently assumed that it is ok that the free WIFI was not reflected in my hotel voucher, i felt that having brought the matter up to the hotel upon check-in, it would have looked upon my case kindly. It did not. I cannot believe complementary WIFI service for its hotel guests would be at such great cost to Hyatt. On the contrary, it would have provided all its guests with lots of convenience.

(2) Its breakfast buffet was adequate but hardly impressive. The food items takes "forever" to be topped up. Case in point - i've had to wait >1/2 hour for the char siew buns to be "heated up", and there was after several reminders to them. Only after my fourth reminder was the case looked upon with any seriousness. The fruit plates were left empty for long periods w/o any attention. Overheard on first morning - the service mgr told a guest he regret that the bread toaster has not working well for a while, yet on my final morning there, the "deficient" bread toaster was still there. Overall the food spread was basic. I have definitely seen far better at other hotels in Beijing.

Having said that, Hyatt Beijing is still overall a more than decent hotel to stay. Location's perfect. Hotel service providers were generally courteous. The swimming pool was amongst the best that i've seen anywhere. The steam room was great to use. I had an early check-out at 530am on the 9th, and the hotel even arranged to have a takeaway breakfast set packed for me. It would have been a great hotel but for the minor "irritations" above.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gemini686
Dear Reviewer

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Beijing and thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay.

Needless to say I was disappointed to read certain points in your review, particularly of your breakfast expereince and rest assured I will share your feedback with the senior food and beverage management team for their attention and corrective action.

In regards to the complimentary Wi-Fi, we understand your point and are currently in the process of reviewing this with our internet service provider and are considering having both a basic complimentary Wi-Fi and a "pay for bandwidth" internet service made available to our guests within the next few months.

We do hope that despite some of these "irritations" that we can welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Beijing in the near future.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is a wonderful hotel with excellent staff and facilities and is only 10 minutes walk to the heart of Beijing. Its location above a mall is also very helpful

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade to clib level
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for such a wonderful review and I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed our hotel so much.

We look forward to welcoming you back

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Grand Hyatt is on the list of my corporate prefered hotels and it has become my favorite choice given its proximity to my client's office in East District as well as the "Wang-fu-jing Street", which used to be regarded as "China No. 1 Shopping Street".

I checked in and got to the choice of either AsiaMiles milage or hotel points. The receptionist, after reviewing my reservation record, help me come to the quick decision. Very simple! If you were to stay more than one night, go with hotel points. If you were to stay only one night, then choose Asia-Miles. Thanks for the advice.

Room Tip: Rooms are typically smaller than Park Hyatt's. But there are some small but very nice suites.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your stay experience with us on Trip Advisor. It was a very complimentary review and goes a long way in promoting out hotel for which we are sincerely grateful.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed 30 March 2012

My family stayed at grand Hyatt for five days in march. We paid got an ok rate with the advance payment but on arrival upgraded for an extra 100/night for the club level which provided two adults Internet access as well as breakfast and evening cocktail hour. I thought this was still pricey but since this was out first trip to Beijing we really wanted Internet access. The location was good for shopping and dining but it took awhile to get a taxi since the Hyatt is located inside a ring of office complexes on a hill above wangfujing street and we had to wait for taxis to drop people off before we could get one to go anywhere. Surprisingly this took awhile. The lobby was very nice in a corporate kind of way, and the staff were friendly but hands off. This was in contrast to the shanghai langham where there were staff everywhere omingnup to me and saying hello and can we help you. At the Hyatt I had to be more proactive. The club lounge had two concierges who were very helpful.

The rooms were ok. There was a kitchenette in the club level king suite and a living room. The furniture was nothing special and I expected more for the money. The bed was comfortable and the bath was fine but nothing I would call luxurious. Maybe on the level of a large Sheraton in the us, but nowhere close to say, a ritz Carlton or w hotel.

The gym was huge with air conditioning. The spa was excellent. The tropical pool was really impressive.

There is a laundry service but it is quite expensive and there is no self Service option.

The hotel restaurant made in china has excellent Peking duck but it requires advance ordering of half duck which I arranged online through the e-concierge.

Overall this was a decent hotel in a good location but rather expensive and the accommodations were ok but nothing special

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Reviewer

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with some very constructive feedback on our hotel through Trip Advisor. It is only through this type of feedback that we are able to critically assess our performance and understand the required areas of improvement. We are very grateful that you chose Grand Hyatt for your stay in Beijing.

It is clear from your comments that we could improve in a number of areas and that we did not fully meet your expectations. Please feel rest assured that this will be addressed and brought to the attention of the relevant Senior Executives and Managers in order to take corrective action with specific reference to your comments on the "stand-off approach" which you felt from our team, for which I sincerely apologize. Thank you however, for highlighting the pool and Peking Duck in our Made in China Restaurant. Your comments on our pricing is duly noted and I am pleased to advise that the hotel is currently in the planning phase of a modernisation and refinement program to it's guest rooms.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Beijing in the near future and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Located directly across from Tiananmen Square, this hotel boasts a spectacular lobby, resort-inspired pool area, upscale fitness facilities, and suites that are extremely well appointed. The buffet breakfast upstairs is average for a five-star hotel, but adequate. The Italian-inspired restaurant was not very Italian but the food was good. The main challenge at the hotel was was lobby-personnel, most of whom have limited English and serve little value for Western travelers. Overall, though, a hotel in keeping with the Grand hyatt brand.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
PWrightHyatt, Manager at Grand Hyatt Beijing, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in Grand Hyatt Beijing on Trip Advisor. Overall your comments and ratings were quite complimentary for which we are sincerely grateful. Your comments on our Continental breakfast offering in the Club Lounge and the English speaking level from our Front desk associates is duly noted and I thank you for the feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back!