“Great location, great service”

Grand Hyatt Beijing
Ranked #44 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt, Beijing for two weeks in April 2014. Since I was there with a group that frequents the hotel multiple times per year, we were able to secure the concierge level and each of us had a suite, which may make my review a little suspect to those staying in other parts of the hotel. That said, the hotel staff and especially the concierge lounge were very nice. The "appetizers" served every evening along with the included refreshments meant we almost never went out for dinner because we were too full from the available food. Staying on the concierge level costs more, but the gained comfort and convenience of the lounge made the price difference worth it. Couple that with the location of the hotel, which as many others have commented is central...close to shopping and tourists sites, and you have a pretty much perfect place to stay. I've read the complaints from others and won't argue with any. We all have our own standards and expectations. For me, as a businessman visiting Beijing for the first time, this hotel was a great choice.

Room Tip: Higher in the hotel is probably better. Drivers in Beijing are fond of their horns...using them all...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,985)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights recently and was pleased with the hotel. The staff are generally friendly, helpful, and efficient. The rooms are large, clean, and with all the modern amenities you'd expect to find in this price range. Importantly, they have universal electrical receptacles in the rooms so that you don't need any adapter to plug in your US computer or phone charger. The fitness center and pool are wonderful....ample, bright, clean, and enjoyable. Definitely check out the themed pool, which is equal to any you might find in a Disneyworld resort. The location was very good very close to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. There is also a large mall connected and a subway stop right out front.

Some areas where this hotel could improve include getting new beds, as these were rock hard. Many hotels have hard beds because they last longer than softer beds, but I found them hard to the point of discomfort. Also, the checkin process was rather slow as the front desk was understaffed. Many of the staff speak limited English. Finally, the wifi was pretty unreliable, even the paid version.

Notwithstanding these issues, I would definitely choose to stay here again on a future visit.

Room Tip: I think access to the executive floor is well worth the additional cost. The included breakfast and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is a large corporate hotel – nothing more, nothing less. The hotel’s location is one of the most valuable things, very close to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. There is also a mall connected and a subway stop right out front. The room was comfortable, perhaps a tad small, but comfortable nonetheless. There wasn’t anything fancy or unique about the room. There was a nice variety of English TV channels besides just news channels. The lighting in the bathroom was not bright enough, including the shaving mirror (all energy efficient, lower power lighting). There was a separate shower and tub, which is a nice touch. There were some strange smells on the room floor itself, but once in the room no issue. The closet light would never turn off (I reported this at checkout to the desk) and the shower drain was quite slow (also reported).

Breakfast was included in my rate and was served on the second floor. There were a variety of options, but it was a bit confusing in multiple rooms and nobody explained what was where so I felt like I missed out (e.g., it wasn’t until the last day that I figured out you could order custom eggs in one of the rooms). Service quality was fairly non-existent. This was the case throughout the hotel. With significant jetlag upon my arrival, I wanted to get a drink at about 12:30pm. I went to the bar where I was told it was closed (they close at 1am). I pointed out that 30 minutes is a far cry from being closed, and only then did they offer for me to have 1 drink, which I declined. Afterwards I tried to order room service and wine to the room, but they only serve wine when the bar is open (why?). I appreciated that room service was 24x7 but I am unclear any reason why they couldn’t serve wine as well. The gym had a decent amount of equipment and was part of the overall Club Oasis on one of the basement floors of the hotel. It featured a huge, Disney like indoor pool that was neat, particularly for children. You didn’t expect it. The men’s changing room had whirlpool, spa and sauna, but had awful smells of mildew.

Traveling for work, I had ordered a hotel car to pick me up at the airport. I found the person holding the sign without issue and was whisked through the VIP pick-up area of the airport and put into an average type car (not luxury) and brought seamlessly to the hotel for $116.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BoysInNY
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I brought my two kids to Beijing to meet up my wife at the tail end of her business trip. I chose the hotel primarily for the location and convenience. Sitting atop one of the largest malls in Beijing, I thought it'd be handy if I needed to get anything last minute. Though surprisingly we didn't even once step foot in the mall.

Check in was easy. Our two bedroom was comfortable and spacious, though a bit sparsely furnished. Since it was late we ordered room service. Despite being quite pricey, the spaghetti and Taiwanese minced pork rice were yummy.

I guess the biggest disappointment was with the breakfast. Our executive floor room gave us access to the lounge for breakfast. It wasn't crowded and the area was nicely decked out. But the selection, or should I say lack of selection, was bewildering. There were few jugs of juice and milk to choose from in the fridge. But no glasses!! Then some Danish, some cereal, a few bits of fruits.... My kids and I were staring at the buffer table and just grumbled. We got back to our table and saw there was hot dishes made to order. So we happily ordered two Eggs Benedict and a scrambled egg. Guess what? When the Eggs Benedict arrived it was whiter than paper! The waiter said "we are out of hollandaise sauce." What?!? At only breakfast time 9am on Saturday and the kitchen is out of hollandaise sauce? Incredible. Luckily we decided on having a different kind of breakfast the following morning. This time at Made in China, the Chinese restaurant on lobby level. Although it may not be every westerner's cup of tea, but the traditional Chinese breakfast fare of congee, dumplings, soy bean milk, fried dough (and they'll make you sunny side up if you want) was a much better attempt at feeding its guests than 10 floors above. Recommend to go there over the lounge anytime! And their Peking duck served at lunch and dinner time is also not to be missed.

My second disappointment comes concierge service. They made very good suggestions and helped me book the hutong rickshaw excursion. But I asked them to recommend a restaurant for me and the kids, preferably in a traditional style courtyard setting. The place they booked was ok, but certainly not kids friendly given no air conditioning and the cuisine served (fixed menu of Hunan dishes which are known for being spicy). We had to make an escape from the courtyard before the kids had heatstroke and again became patrons of the hotel room service.

So all in all it was an enjoyable stay but several kinks could be avoided. Thus warrant a four star only.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location in Beijing- centrally located and close to all you would want to see and do. Beijing is a massive city (in terms of land space) so most things you would have to get to require either subway or cabs. This hotel is close to both and connected to a mall which has a subway in it.

The hotel restaurants were amazing and we had the BEST Peking duck meal ever in Made in China, in which they gave us a private room to dine in ( I think because we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite) not sure but the experience was amazing. Great maid service- very clean and spacious room. We had a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and a full living room and dining room with a 6 person table and refrigerator. I loved our room! Basic clean updated décor that was well kept. Beds were a little hard- but I think that is just what others expect in Asia. Most on property spoke great English. All hotel staff were wonderful. A lot of high profile people stay at this property and they do often have extra security on a regular basis.

The pool was awesome for the kids! Everything is inside in Beijing- so no outdoor pools. It is a huge indoor pool connected top an amazing spa. It looked like is was outdoors. A plain awesome Experience.

Inexpensive dining is within walking distance from the hotel if you do not want fine dining. The hotel rates that INCLUDE morning breakfast are well worth the cost- as breakfast is approx $36 usd plus 15% service fee per adult if you do not get it included in your room rate. Soemthing for everyone in walking distance.

the night market and outdoor markets were within walking distance- but I did not particularly like the food at the night market- overpriced for what you get and you can get much better food elsewhere- but both are a must if it is your first or only time in Beijing! Loved this hotel, loved the City.

Olympic Venue/Water cube 30 minutes taxi (1 hour in traffic)
Tiananmen/Forbidden city 6-10 minute taxi
Zoo/Aquarium 25 minute drive taxi
Summer Palace-30 minutes taxi
Temple of Heaven- 20-30 minutes by cab
Hutongs-15 minute cab to take a tour- do not pay more than 50 yuan per person
Silk Market- 10/15 minute cab

we cabbed everywhere- did not take subway because of connections etc (easier to take cabs)
and cabs a very cheap compared to US. Hotel does a great job of making sure cabs are available. However once out on the streets cabs try and overcharge to get back to hotel (make sure you use meters)
Mu Tain Yu great wall- up to 2 hours

Room Tip: pay for a larger room make sure breakfast is included in rate!!!!!!! hotel is quiet eat at Made i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank flychx
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Closed from the forbidden city, the hotel has the best situation to bisit beijing. The rooms are aligned with the grand hyatt standard. The service is simply excellent with a very nice lounge. The only point is the wifi which is not totally stable however everything is perfect.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VDLV
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here with my family. We were 5 and booked a 2 bedroom suite with Executive privileges.

The location, as has been commented before, is excellent right in the middle of town but the access to the hotel is very strange and not befitting a prestigious 5 star hotel. You arrive through one of I believe four side access roads into a series of office style office building blocks one of which is the hotel. Very confusing especially if you are trying walk back to the hotel.

Our suite was sparsely furnished. A large living room with a couch, a large dining room table with 6 chairs and a coffee table. Incredibly there is no desk and the window in the living room is tiny about a third of the size of the ones in the bedrooms. There are 2 small bedrooms off the living area with 2 small bathrooms. To cap all this off, the ceiling level in the rooms is well below typical standards.

Nice gym with a good choice of equipment. The underground pool is unique although something you would expect to see in Las Vegas rather than a city business hotel. The constant sound of tropical birds piped over the sound system at the pool side though was irritating.

Service is what you would expect for a top hotel although the standard of English spoken at the concierge desk was surprisingly poor.

Room Tip: Avoid 2 bedroom suites ending with the number 45.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family