“Good Hotel -”

Ranked #44 of 6,448 Hotels in Beijing
Puerto Penasco, Mexico
“Good Hotel -”
Reviewed 25 July 2009

My husband and I used Hilton Points and stayed at this hotel after I completed some business in Beijing. We had the pleasure of also staying at the Hilton Wanfujing before my business. We liked both hotel. The Hilton Wangfnujing is newer Hilton and we liked the rooms, health club and service better than the Beijing Hilton. The Beijing Hilton is certainly a very nice hotel. I can't speak for the "old" tower, but we stayed in the newer round executive tower and the rooms were lovely. The bathrooms are huge with a big tub, flat screen TV over the tub, large shower with rain head, and many nice amenities. The closet was huge and a few drawers for putting up clothes. We did visit the health club and were disappointed. The women's locker room was old, smelled musty, and the very large jacuzzi had been covered over to make a bed??? Strange. The steam shower was not hot. She dry sauna was nice and hot, however, The Executive Lounge was nice, but not nearly the selection of the Wangfujng Hilton Exec Lounge. The location was good at the Beijing Hilton especially since we were doing some shopping at YaShow Market and had to go back and forth to have fittings on some clothes we were getting made. I would highly recommend either hotel!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jyväskylä, Finland
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I can not disagree with the others. I stayed in executive tower and enjoyed my visiti to Beijing. Typical Hilton experience and even more. Here are my practical tips:

Subway is good (cheap and fast) way to reach the city attractions (Olympic sports center, Tiananmen and frobidden city, Sanlitun, temple of heaven).: Liangmaqiao station is only one block south from the hotel.

Close to Lianmaqiao station you can also experience western-style shopping in Lufthansa center mall (real items - high price). A bit different experience is bargaining in the mall (i do not recall the name) opposite of Kunlun hotel, close to northwest exit of Liangmaqiao station. Remember to not pay for too much for items that probably are not real: price for Abercrombie/Ralph Lauren Polo is 30-40 CNY, not 300 as they might suggest to you. Same applies to almost every item in this mall (Sunglasses, sneakers,...)

If you have time, Great wall is worth visiting. You can negotiate a taxi-trip to wall. It will cost 500-800 CNY, Taxi driver will take you there and wait until you have seen it. The hotel staff will help you in negotiating the deal.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank eskobar
chennai
Reviewed 3 June 2009

designed Stylishly and views from the room are just breathtaking

Clean and neat

• Liked — Style
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 7 April 2009

I wrote a review about this hotel a few years ago after I had an unexpectedly positive experience. Just stayed again for 1 night, and can unequivocally state that the hotel now resembles what one would expect from Hilton, which be clear, is an incredibly mediocre hotel.

Room: Premier Suite, #2215,
Cost: 2,800 rmb per night

Positives

- Bellmen, Concierge and Check-in staff were all very nice

Negatives

- Hot water never became hot - only lukewarm;

- Toiletries were "half-full" upon check-in. Sorry if this seems petty but at what translates to about usd 400 per night in China, I expect everything to be fully re-stocked;

- Internet usage requires a fee. Come on, are you kidding me?

- No executive lounge. They built a new tower and thus have shut-down the old executive lounge on the 22nd floor. Now, they require that you go down to the lobby, walk across the lobby to the new wing, go up the elevator to another executive lounge to eat your breakfast. I told them that it was far easier to leave the hotel for breakfast...and I did! Right after checking out 3 days early.

In summary, this hotel is probably best for those who really don't expect much from a hotel because they are paying next to nothing for the room (ie internet booking). If you are accustomed to paying high prices for hotel suites and being catered to, you will not like this hotel a single bit.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Gilgameshed
WARRINGTON, PA
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Great location - helpful staff, most of who speak some degree of English. Rooms are modern. If possible stay at the Executive wing, which has many free ammenities including a great breakfast buffet and a tempting cocktail hour. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant is a treat as well.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last May during our trip to China. This is an amazing hotel with unbelievable service. The rooms are exquisite! The Executive Lounge is very accomodating after a long day of traveling with a wonderful staff. We highly recommend staying here!

To see pictures from our trip, check out my website www.svadlenak.com

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 December 2008

What a great first stop on a two week tour throughout China! I was traveling with a group so the hotel was pre-selected but I would definitely stay here again if I find myself in Beijing in the future. The staff’s command of the English language was the best I experienced in China and like all other Chinese even if there were communication challenges, they were completely gracious and helpful.

Prior to my arrival, I was in contact with the concierge (April) regarding a nearby spa (Dragonfly…which I highly recommend) as well as some other things to do in my free time. She was extremely professional, helpful and very prompt with responses. While at the hotel, the concierge staff was unbelievably helpful! They provided me a great deal of local information (outside of my group activities) and made reservations for me at Dragonfly without trying to force the hotel spa on me.

I did take advantage of the hotel’s spa services upon my arrival as my 13 hour flight ended up being closer to 15 hours and I just wanted something where I didn’t have to leave the hotel. I opted for the in-room massage which I would definitely not recommend if you’re more accustom to in-home massages like we have in the States. Rather than bringing a table and sheets, the therapist had me lay directly on the bed (after having worked in hotels for 10 years, the last thing you want to do is lay directly on the comforter…which I promptly removed before the massage). It was here that I also discovered the Chinese have a different sense of modesty than we do in the States as the therapist stands in front of you just waiting on you to disrobe and unlike our massage therapists, they aren’t real concerned about covering your body during the massage…thank goodness for that towel from the bathroom!! One of the best parts of traveling is discovering the differences in cultures and customs but sometimes you do find yourself missing your customs as you’re lying naked on a bed in front of a perfect stranger while they are straddling you.

As this was our first night in Beijing, our tour company had a welcome reception for us at the hotel. The food and service were fabulous. Nothing like real dumplings and a cold Chinese beer to welcome you!

Upon returning to my room after the reception, I was hit in the face with a very hot and stuffy room. I checked the heat and it was off and since it was winter, the air conditioner was stuff off by the hotel. I tried to open the window but for some reason, the window was sealed shut so I called down to the front desk. They promptly sent up someone from Engineering and he tried to open the window but couldn’t. After asking my permission to use my phone (very nice touch), he called the front desk and had them transfer me to a new room. Shortly the bellman was at my door to help me move…talk about quick response!

While my first room was nice, my second room was even better. Apparently my first room had not been renovated (but other than the different furniture, I would not have known as the room was in excellent condition). These pictures are from my second room. The room was very spacious with a great desk and separate sitting area. As someone who cannot stand to be hot especially when sleeping, the best part was the window opened!!

The bed was unbelievably comfortable…I do wish US hotels would go with the duvet concept. Loved having the tea pot in my room as I’m a big tea drinker and so thrilled to have a selection of English news channels so I could stay on top of what was happening around the world. The bathroom was lovely…fabulous big tub as well as the shower. The bathroom amenities covered everything…the only thing of mine I used was my flat iron and brush as they literally provide everything you could possibly need in a bathroom. As the water in China is not drinkable, the hotel provided two bottles of complimentary water each time they serviced your room (which was at least twice a day).

We had breakfast each morning in the hotel’s restaurant as it was included in our package. The selection of food was unbelievable! Other than Sunday Brunch at the Waldorf in New York or on the Queen Mary in California, I have honestly never seen so much food on a breakfast buffet! They had everything from pastries to fruit to all the Western breakfast items to traditional Chinese food. Until now, I had never tried watermelon or cucumber juice…don’t know I’ll ever have them again but I did get to try it…as well as dragonfruit…not much taste but a funky texture.

Again, the hotel service was wonderful and very attentive. The hotel was located in a safe area and I felt completely comfortable walking around in the evening…the US Embassy was actually right around the corner. I would definitely recommend this hotel for those traveling to Beijing.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed October 2008