North Star Continental Grand Hotel
US$543
US$281
FourSeasons.com
  • Pool
All reviewsconvention centerolympic villageconference attendeessubway stationbird nestreception deskair qualitynice breakfasttop floorbreakfast buffetbusiness tripexecutivelounge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Hotel located close to the Beijing International Convention Centre (main asset of the hotel) and the Olympic village (modern area, not touristic).
Metro Huixinxijiebeikou at 20 mn by foot.
Good room in terms of space and noise insulation.
Internet at 60 yuans per day (when backpackers hotels offer it for free).
Work in progress (no real lobby, no breakfast room, so breakfast was at the Conference Centre - good breakfast with sufficient choice), obligation to take 2 lifts.
Very helpful staff (helped me to book a hotel close to Tiananmen at the end of the conference).

Room Tip: A good choice if you have to attend a conference at the Beijing International Convention Centre. For free internet in a nice lobby, just walk to Crowne plaza next to it. Typical Chinse restaurants (closing at 21:00) can be found in the North Star supermaket area (underground) next to Crowne Plaza.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Honestly this was a horrible experience. First of all there was construction going on in the main lobby. Practically all the staff does not speak a word of English. When we got back from the restaurant the first night, someone had slipped a car under our door for some kind of "sensual" massage. At 5:30 am the day after, we received a call from someone saying "Hello I am your American friend", obviously this was someone from the staff (since they knew we were American (nearly all the people staying in the hotel were chinese), and when my husband spoke chinese, the person said it was the wrong number. There was a leaky ceiling so, water dripped into the bathtub from the ceiling. We were also shocked to see that we woke up to a room smelling of cigarette even though we were staying in a non-smoking floor, so we had to change rooms. And last of all, we were not able to open our safe (and when we told the staff, they did not seem the least surprised).
Also, their breakfasts aren't the least westernised, and it is situated in a basement-like room

Room Tip: The rooms are inexpensive, so try opting for more expensive ones if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sadie T
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed here for a conference in November and expected better for the price and for the hotel attached to the conference centre. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet and the food was fine, but I would expect a business hotel to have both better facilities and more helpful staff. The internet connection was pretty poor, even through the wire in the room, and although it wasn't too expensive I would have expected it to be free in a business hotel charging as much as this one. I was also surprised that more of the staff didn't speak English given the make-up of the guests; at times no one on the desk or nearby was able to communicate even though nearly all the guests at that time were from abroad. I thought maybe English speaking staff were hard to recruit until we went through the nearby mall one night and the staff in the shops all spoke very good English. The one guy on the concierge desk we did find who spoke English was very helpful, but completely overrun with translating for his colleagues. If I attended another conference there I would probably book another hotel and walk a little further.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The hotel is close (by Beijing standards) to the Olympic village but not close to any other attraction. The room (a suite) was very spacious, decorated in Asian style but looking a bit tired. Comfortable beds, decent bathrooms (two in my suite) and all amenities as expected. Free Wifi is available in the lobby but with not much place to sit or work. In the rooms, there is a cabled connection (0.20 RMB/min with daily max of 30 RMB) although it took me while to discover the port (w/o) cable.
There was a marked difference in the street noise ( a busy main road) between two rooms - possibly some gaps around windows in one room but generally on par with busy cities.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I stayed at the Continental Grand Hotel for 5 nights in December for a conference in the Beijing International Convention Centre. The hotel was okay for the conference stay, but no more than that. Don't expect too much of the rooms, which are simple and have no wireless internet (even though it is a business hotel), and of the breakfast, which misses basic things. Some of the personnel speaks a bit of English and some do not. In general, I was a bit disappointed about the hotel given the high room rate. In fact, I arrived in Beijing a week before and stayed in a different hotel that week (I won't name it here). That hotel was much cheaper, had much friendlier and English speaking personnel, much better rooms with better beds, better breakfast, wifi in rooms, and a more central location.
The only advantage of the location of this hotel is the vicinity of the BICC, and this advantage seems to be exploited by the hotel. But even if you're here for the purpose of a conference, I would suggest to search for a better hotel nearby and go for a healthy 5-10 min walk.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business