“Everything is there but needs a new owner..”
Review of Lusongyuan Hotel

Lusongyuan Hotel
Ranked #135 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I found this Hutong through Conde Naste traveler. It has all the ingredients to be a fantastic place but... What I didn't like. It isn't clean, from carpets in hallways to rooms. Lots of dirt in corners everywhere (bathroom, room). Rooms are not taken care of while you stay there. My sink in bathroom had huge leak (lots of water came out underneath the sink onto bathroom floor). Breakfast is very simple.. The shower head couldn't be attached to rail resulting in water everywhere. Rail of shower curtain was loose resulting in railing and shower curtain crashing down while having a shower.

So this was the moaning part.

What I really enjoyed. The location (superb), very kind and and very willing staff! The hotel has basically everything to make this a fantastic experience. My feeling is that the owner should sell the place to a fresh young person who's willing to turn it around.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SH389
There are newer reviews for Lusongyuan Hotel

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had a fantastic stay in this gorgeous hotel.The staff are lovely and the location is great - fantastic shopping and great places to eat and drink all around. Very accessible to many of Beijing's top attractions. You will feel at home here and the experience is much more authentic!
I also stayed in another hotel that is part of this chain - the Dunhuang Silk Road Hotel - which was one of the most amazing placed I've ever stayed in my life.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank madridjo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed in the single half price room. The room was a little smaller and bed a little bigger than I thought. The staff were extremely nice. I had an issue with the shower leaking onto the bathroom floor. It wasn't fixed by the time I left, but it wasn't a big deal, just a mess for the maid to have to clean up each morning.

The hotel itself is in the traditional style and therefore quite charming. Seems like a place that caters to westerners.

My taxi driver from the airport couldn't find it (and couldn't speak English). I had personally written down the address in Chinese, but it's on an alley that no taxi will want to drive on it and my driver couldn't find it anyway. I finally convinced him to just call the hotel. Once he did, he found the alley, and let me out and told me to walk down the alley. At first I was concerned not knowing for sure if I was in the right place or not, but I walked and 5 min later was at the front of the hotel.

Internet is hit or miss, and wifi never worked, but that's the Internet in China for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Thank you to the wonderfully helpful staff of the Lusongyuan. The hotel is in a wonderful location, the hutong and close to all attractions. The room was beautiful opening onto the court yard. The staff helped book onward travel, which was no mean feat in busy China holiday period. The hotel staff helped us in every way. We loved our stay and the hotel was recommended by friends which is not surprising.

Room Tip: The rooms around the courtyards are wonderful
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is a terrible hotel. My girlfriend and I had booked a week there in early January 2013 and after staying there one night we ended up leaving the next morning, first thing after breakfast. The hotel, which used to be the palace of a Mongolian prince during the empire, is nicely situated in the center of Beijing, in a calm alley connecting to a lively and popular Hutong packed with history. In fact, the hotel is old, dusty and terribly under-heated. The temperatures in Beijing at the time went to lows of -14, and yet the hotel corridors were not heated! The rooms felt a little better, but still chilly and not comfortable. The AC/heating system, old and derelict, was at maximum capacity and only barely managed to keep the temperature in the room a constant lukewarm. The dirty windows faced a courtyard, letting little natural light in and reinforcing the feeling of cold. The morning search for the (heated) breakfast room was extremely unpleasant. Breakfast was just average. After a complaint, staff came to check the AC/heating, but just turned it on and left, leaving us with the impression they did not care. Unsurprisingly, no one asked questions when we explained we were leaving.

Room Tip: Rooms are not properly heated and feel dusty and dirty. Bathrooms are clean but a bit cramped and sh...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laurent B
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I could not believe how quiet it was. No traffic noise at all. Very peaceful sleep. Had a single room which was very small- nothing fancy but def. has character. I enjoyed it. Nice location if you want to explore the hutongs right from your door. Front desk staff very, very helpful. Room had huge window looking out into the center courtyard.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed at the Lu Song Yuan hotel based on a recommendation from a friend. I was on a personal trip and thought I would try something different. I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It was a very good experience from check-in to check out. The hotel is an amazing hutong in a historical building. The hotel is furnished with historic furniture and has a wonderful courtyard. The breakfast was first rate. The hotel staff were friendly and spoke enough English. The location is a bit away from the Forbidden City (maybe 15 minutes via taxi or subway) but if I was touring those areas I wouldn't have minded the distance. This hotel is a probably a 5 minute walk to the street (where you can hope to find a taxi) and a 10 minute walk to the subway. The hotel has internet in each room and wifi in the lobby. This is a basic hotel so do not expect a bar, fancy bedding, restaurants or a gym. I wouldn't necessarily stay at this hotel on business but I would highly recommend it to tourists.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the court yard as they will be the most quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends