“Great location next to the Bird's nest”

Grand Skylight Catic Hotel
Ranked #577 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Davis, California
“Great location next to the Bird's nest”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel has an enviable location next to the Olympic Stadium and all the olympic venues made famous by the 2004 Olympics. However, it felt somewhat isolated from many of the attractions. Nevertheless, we were there on a business trip, not to go and see attractions. The hotel has a nice restaurant in the lobby area. The restaurant serves mostly chinese cuisine, which is nice as we were able to taste the local food. This place was critical for us, as we were having a hard time trying to communicate with people. It was really easy to go down, get breakfast, lunch or dinner without the hassle of trying to communicate by signs. There is also a TGI Friday in the lobby area. The staff was mostly cordial. They barely speak english, so at times, it was difficult to communicate. Regardless, we were in their country and it is our responsibility to try to adjust to the situation, not the other way around.

The room was huge and clean. While it was supposed to be a non-smoking room, one could still smell smoke. In fact, while walking to our room, many time we saw people smoking with their room door open. So, it was no surprise that we were able to smell cigarette smoke in our room. Overall, I will stay in this room, if on a business trip to northern part of Beijing.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Manny N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Keeping in mind that location compared to your intended activity, this hotel can be a fine choice. My room was a "superior" room, also known as a Business Suite. It had a separate sitting room and bedroom arrangement with work desks in both rooms. The breakfast buffet is excellent and an evening meal at the hotel's Chinese restaurant was of the highest quality. Cleanliness was acceptable though there were telltale dark spots in the bathroom tile work. Room and building infrastructure worked very well with plenty of lighting and good air conditioning in the guest rooms. The hotel did not have the evident odors of stale beer or cigarette smoke that dominate many Chinese hotels and my non-smoking room appeared to be just that, a non-smoking room and not just a room without ash trays. Staff is diligent but English is a stretch for many. What they lack in foreign language skills isle than made up for in positive attitude and diligence. The marketing as a five star hotel does not hold up but this certainly can be classed as a good, striving to please 3 1/2 star property on an international scale.

• Stayed September 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Firstly Im not complaining that few of the staff seemed to speak English and most of them not brilliantly and I dont think anyone should, its a Chinese owned hotel in the Chinese capital. It seems to cater for a mostly Chinese clientel. What else would you expect?
And having a window that you can see through (ie its not frosted) between the bedroom and the bathroom seemed a bit strange.
Ive seen complaints about sex toys being sold mini bar style in the bathroom, this isnt unusual in Beijing.
The staff despite the fact that most couldnt comunicate with us in our language were all very helpful and attententive.
The rooms were not as luxurious as some, and the windows were on the small side, but the furniture was better built than at some more expensive places Ive stayed.
They have two Chinese restaurants, some shops selling clothes, souvenirs and a useful litlle shop that sells anything you would need really, snacks, toiletries, wine, cases and more but its round a corner from the lifts, you have to look for it.
There's the Elysee restaurant which also doubles as the nearest this place has to a hotel bar, it sells Boddingtons Beer amongst others and thats a plus point for me. Its supposed to be European and it is almost, but they are friendly folks, the prices are very good and if you get a window seat at the back you get a view of the birds nest stadium.
There is also a TGI Fridays and a nice cake shop in the front of the Building.
If you want other restaurants, there is a shopping centre at the olympic park or you can cross the main road in front of the hotel and then go a small way to what is your left if you have your back to the hotel to the cross roads at the entrance to the Olympic park and then up the Huizhong Road which is the one that runs at right angles to the road the hotel is on and on the opposite side, If you look there are one or two places to eat on the opposite side of the road (the side that the National Jade Hotel is on) keep walking to the next junction you'll find plenty of places to eat, whichever way you go.
There is a subway station at the shopping centre in the olympic park.
The prices are good value, for both rooms and to use the restaurants.
Taxis are plentiful and cheap
I found that my room was cleaned to a high standard
when I used both of my complimentary bottles of water, they put more in the room.
it has a relaxed informal atmosphere, Id go back.
The bed was firm and comfortable
The curtains kept all daylight out when closed
my room was quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Middenface
Beijing, Beijing, China
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Totally renewed between 2006 and 2008 as it was situated next to the Olympic park, from a standard Chinese hotel it became a first class hotel, with several restaurants, bar, karaoke and a TGI Fridays inside the building, in the surrounding area there are many shops, restaurants, barbers, massage salons etc.
From the hotel you have a great view at the Birds nest and the Water cube.
They can serve large groups as well.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Arie B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The location is great, right by the Birds Nest and Water Cube - they look wonderful by night and there's plenty happening there.
The concierge recommended both a good Peking Duck restaurant, and a tour to the Great Wall which was quite good value for money: a young guide who took the six of us who'd signed up from different hotels to an area without too many tourists (great as it was the three-day May Day holiday break and therefore loads of Chinese tourists everywhere). The tour included one of the 13 Ming Tombs sites, as well as a pearl factory and a jade factory - both of which didn't do too much hard-sell on us.
However I really didn't like this hotel much, apart from the concierge the staff were generally unfriendly and their English was surprisingly poor considering the location - in other places we managed to communicate in spite of our non-existent Chinese and people's non-existent English - amazing how far a smile and a xie xie can get you generally, but not here.
The room was a bit small and dark and there was something I've not experienced before which was bathroom products on sale in the bathroom, including a whole kit of sex products, yuk - maybe I'm prudish but it did make me think about what may have been going on in our bed before we slept in it (not recommended!).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I booked the Catic as I was at a trade event at the Convention Centre nearby. Things didn't start well as my reservation had been made a day late, so I had to take a smoking room at full walk-up rate for the first night. Not the hotel's fault, but the the check-in process took about 20 minutes and at 1:30am I could really have done with some snappier service.

Getting into the room, the first thing I see is a huge lit-up Mahjong table in the middle of the room, with the electrical cable running tight to the nearest socket. Instead, what with it being a business hotel, I wouldn't have minded a desk. There was no desk. The lights around the bed did not work. Despite paying a deposit for the minibar, it was completely empty. I admit that my mood wasn't helped by the overpowering smell of smoke in the room.

The most obvious problem was that the room just would not get warm. It was cold in Beijing when I visited, and the room wouldn't get anywhere about about 18C.

The bathroom is decent and the towels were good quality. The bathroom was clean but yellowed grouting in parts let it down. The room was not well-lit, and underfoot the carpets did not feel completely clean.

I would have given a worse rating were it not for the very good service on the front desk the next day. I expressed that I wasn't so happy with the room, and the clerk offered me a free night and apologised. By this time, I had already booked with a new hotel. She helped me book a taxi and was apologetic and cheerful - something I wish I had seen a bit more of on the trip!

I regret to say that I would not recommend this to friends, but instead try one of the more trusted brands. Instead of quick walk, I had a 30 minute taxi ride to the event each morning, but it was worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 18 April 2013

had an very comfortable, enjoyable 5 day stay in April at this hotel. Room was very clean, comfortable. Restaurant food was excellent. All the staff were very friendly and most of them could speak English.

The only drawback for us was the room heating had been turned off, and when the temperatures went down to about 7C the room was very cold too.

Room Tip: we could not get a double room. suggest asking for a double bed while booking, if you want, as most...