“Adorable place!”

Ranked #77 of 6,517 Hotels in Beijing
Berlin, Germany
“Adorable place!”
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay in Beijing. Very clean, cozy beds, accommodating staff. The breakfast is very basic and the walls are a bit thin so you can hear people outside talk but i would definitely stay here again. The staff speak English and it is also walking distance to the metro station. Just make sure you ask one of the staff to give you the code to open the main door when you arrive.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Geotravel F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
happy place
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

One of the most comfortable beds and pillows I've had in a hotel! These guys do not have the mattress that creates a sinkhole everytime you lie down, which I've experienced across China. They also provide ample supply of pillows and have the longest bath towels I've encountered. Also, the only place I know that uses Sensodyne as the free toothpaste. Plus points on that, and the subtitle function on their TV!
Staff spoke good English and were very helpful. They even allowed us to check out very late.
Another bonus is the location. Apart from being a few meters walk from the main road and two subway stations, Hulu is in one of the CLEANER and better hutongs I've seen around Beijing.
Drawback though is there's no breakfast menu. They only serve continental breakfast, which was good but would like it if there were other options.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank darylrose_c
The HuLu Tea m, Owner at The HuLu Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Rose,
Thank you for choosing us,we are very pleased to tell you that we offer daily buffet breakfast now. Thank you for all your feedbacks,it really means a lot to us.
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Before I left to Beijing, one of my friends helped me to reserve this Hotel. The hotel's location is very convenient, close to Wangfujing, the Forbidden City, and Tian'anmen square. Unlike other big hotels, this one is in the alley, and once I get in, all these structures caught my eyes. The amazing views make me feel like i'm in a different world. when I waked up in the morning, sitting in the patio, with beautiful sunshine and landscaping, I felt so relaxing, and forgot everything about US. First day in HuLu, I fell in love with Beijing already. overall, another happy trip :) I don't like big hotels filling with crowds, Hulu makes me feel like home, highly recommended to everyone!

Room Tip: with their awesome customer services, just let them know your preference, and they will try their be...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank maggie z
Dear maggie z,

On behalf of the staff at 161 Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courtyard Hotel, I would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent visit in Beijing and to also express my sincere appreciation for sharing your experience on Trip-Advisor.we glad to help you for your trouble.

I am so pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and expecting you return to Beijing 161 Hotel Hulu Courytard Hotel .when you next come to Beijing.
In order to offer you with more efficient and personal assistance, please do contact with me at Andy-Qi@joy-realm.com.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I always try to find a perfect hotel, a hotel that hides among Beijing's spider network of alleyways, the so called Hutongs. To be honest, I want somewhere nice and clean, special but not tacky, a little tradition but efficient, a little mysterious but not over the top. I also want somewhere that's not full of tourists, somewhere I can feel being in part of the city yet somehow quite isolated. I like the solitude but afraid of the loneliness; I want it to be not far from where everything's happening but terrified by the crowds. i never thought i would actually found such a place. Hulu Hotel has it all. It's located right at the centre of the city, only a mile or so away from the Forbidden City, and a few miles away from Sanlitun. The Hutong is called Yanyue Hutong, it's actually a pretty romantic name, it means play the music. The layout of the courtyard house maintained as much of its origin as possible but perfectly yet subtly combined with modern designs. I couldn't stress more about the roof top where one can enjoy the view of the 'Old Beijing'.

It has a strong sense of traditional Chinese philosophy although I can't quite get a grip of it. it does remind me of the Asian Buddhist thinking of slow life, quality, and balance. On the other hand, it definitely not lack of cosmopolitan. i can totally see myself having a cup of coffee on the roof top in the morning; enjoying a set of tea display for a slow afternoon, and a jazzy night with cocktails. Sadly i didn't have time to do it all so in my previous trip.

On the logistic front, it is located in one of those hutongs which has very easy access to public transport that you would never feel 'stuck'. Taxi situation is not great but I suppose that's the problem for the city. I'm fairly familiar with Beijing as been there multiple times for business but i can't imagine it would be a challenge for anybody to find this hotel. There are loads of small restaurant along this hutong as well as the hutongs in the area. AND, there are also loads of locals living along this hutong as well as the nearby ones. You really get the feeling of hutong life there. One thing impressed me a lot is about the details of this hotel.

perhaps i should save some secrecy for you to discover yourself. that's also part of the fun.

Room Tip: I would go for the big rooms, although they are a little more pricy, but totally worth it. However...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank marianng2012
Dear marianng,

Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I always wanted to check out the old Beijing "hutong" culture,This summer I finally had a chance to visit Beijing,I was really excited. Before I left, I booked myself a room in this hotel for three days online. When I arrived at the hotel, which is located in the very famous "hutong" area, I was amazed.It was newly renovated, beautifully mixed old Chinese culture and modern style,absolutely fabulous.
Services there were friendly and they do speak some English. I also got to meet the young couple who owns the place,they are really easy going and helpful people. I had to trouble them for directions all the time.
it was also close to trains and buses, famous shopping and tour areas are within walking distance.
its not a big fancy hotel but i really enjoyed it.
I couldn't make a better choice.

Room Tip: all rooms are new so didn't matter too much to me. however i did checked out the best room they...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank mydearestdaisy
Dear mydearestdaisy,

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed in many Hutong hotels before in China, never has any been better than Hulu!
The hotel is quite stylish. Liked very much its Chinese atmosphere the design creates.
The nearest subway station is only 2 minutes away by walk. Also extremely close to the wangfujin shopping street and tiananmen square.
Very friendly staff!
My room was well air-conditioned. So even the summer was really hot in Beijing, I slept extremely well. The bed was not hard!
The shower sprinkler was so big and niiiiiiiiiice.

Room Tip: There are not sooo many rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends