“Great gem in Beijing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #69 of 6,437 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Great gem in Beijing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed at the Hulu hotel twice, on my way over and back from Australia whilst taking advantage of the new 72 hour tourist visa offered by China. It was fantastic on both legs. It is a small inn style hotel run by genuinely lovely people. The rooms are comfortable, clean, warm and have lovely decor. On the way out, I stayed in one of their larger more expensive rooms, it had an amazing large bathroom, with big bath/shower and marble tiles, a sitting area in the main room with a sofa and coffee table. They provide a toothbrush, toothpaste, and nice L'Occtane shower gel and shampoo. The smaller rooms don't have a bath or sitting area, but are still comfortable and adequate.

The hotel is situated very centrally, a short 5 minute walk to the subway, its about a 20 minute walk to the Forbidden City. They have both a western and an Chinese yum cha breakfast, the yum cha is amazing- I recommend the wonton soup- best I've had in ages!

The staff are great, they all speak some English, and are helpful. They will arrange a taxi for you and can offer basic advice on getting around. I stayed as a single female traveller and felt safe at the hotel.

Probably the only negative is that being a small hotel, they don't open until 8am. Unfortunately my flight arrived at 5am and so I had to hang out at a nearby 24 hour mcdonalds until they opened which wasn't ideal after a really long flight.

Otherwise, The Hulu hotel is a comfortable, pleasant place to stay in Beijing. Totally recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank anchel79
TheHuLuHotel, Manager at The HuLu Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Anna,
Thank you like our hotel,hope we can still be your home in Beijing the next time.We are very sorry that let you wait for our open.Your review reminds us that we should let our guests konw the work time,and let them konw we will leave a staff on the reception if they arrive out of the work time that just need tell us in advance in any ways.Thanks your suggestion again and hope everything going very well with your trip.^_^

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I used to leave in Beijing for almost 9 years. As a person who is quite familiar with this city and hoping the more and more people attracted by the city, I’m really happy to see this kind of nice place appearing in Beijing. This time I back to Beijing is for friends gethering events. For this pleasure trip my husband and I really want choose some place special, not for brands hotels or chain hotel, so we chose this court yard hutong hotel. We found it closed to history and culture and it really shows a different hotel style.

The hotel is located in the definite heart of the city and it is convenient to go any place by taxi or subway. I chose the room on the south side because the booking website offered a good deal on the room during that period. The rooms fare is including the breakfast which is really cost-effective. The breakfast were simple but enough to support my day of energy. Actually I was quite enjoying the breakfast time in Hutong for a peaceful morning.

On the first day we arrive, after check in I surprisingly found there are hundreds of movies in the TV box, which attracted me watching movies during that night. The bed is made of wood and the mattress is extremely comfortable made me good sleeps. The bath towers are soft and thick, and the bath products are from L'Occitane. The hotel staffs are warm and nice. They are happy to help with your questions and willingly to talk with you about the hotel, the city, even their lives in Beijing.

This is a definite good place to stay in Beijing if you would like to have a special experience. I will definitely come again.

Room Tip: The staff in the hotel friendly showed me all the rooms. Although there are only 9 rooms in the hote...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Xiaonan H
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family had a wonderful time at the Hulu hotel. The room was comfy and stylish, with heat coming out of the floor, a good thing in a cold Beijing January. The staff was very attentive and friendly - we arrived quite late at night but they still came out to greet us. They were also very accommodating of our infant, who loved exploring the hotel grounds. The hotel itself is small and stylish - just nine rooms, making for a very personal experience. We liked to go up to the second floor lounge to view the courtyard roofs and say hi to some of the local cats who like to run across the rooftops. Take some time to walk around the neighborhood's streets, they are full of local character. The breakfast is also quite good. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank pijiuren
Linz, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I can only recommend this hotel. Staff is very friendly, speaks English and is very helpful. You can ask them about how to get there etc. they will help you and organize it for you.

Really enjoyed staying there.

The room is big with a tube. Very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 894traveler1248
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is really a great experience. The Hulu Hotel is a cozy place, that makes you feel how is (or was) the real China. The room was very clean, and the heating system works perfect (the outside temperature reached -5ºC in the morning during my stay).
But the best by far, is the staff: Helpful, attentive, all of them speak very good english and they make you feel like at home!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank rdelfino
TheHuLuHotel, Manager at The HuLu Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Thank you for your kindly comments. And don't leave your luggage in taxi again :P Hope everything goes well and take care :)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

My favorite hotel in Asia. Great location, style and service. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Loved its traditional looking exterior, stylish design and modern interior. The atmosphere was so relaxing that I felt at home. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Bei House, loved it. Very spacious and sunny.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank free_bird288
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is my first time in Beijing and Hulu is the only place we stay. The hotel is modern with the traditional features still available. The hotel is very clean and the people there are very friendly and helpful. They help us to print our boarding pass and keep our bags until our flight at midnight. Nothing special about the breakfast, but it doesn't bother me a bit. We have a good conversation with other travellers during breakfast. My favourite part is walking back to the hotel through the hutong alley. I feel like i am living there rather than visiting. There is a local lamb skewer stall few metres from the hotel entrance. We get the lamb skewer, eat it, walk few steps and our hotel main entrance is there. Open the main entrance and i feel like i am entering a real traditional house rather than a hotel.(p.s I don't know how it looks like during the old day but i believe it is not far from this, at least the arrangement)

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank that_boble
TheHuLuHotel, Manager at The HuLu Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for your kindly comments. We will keep on enrich our breakfast, now we not only provide western breakfast, but also provide chinese breakfast like porridge,wonton,stuffed bun and so on. and if anyone have some suggests, please tell us, by email or facebook. We would deeply appreciate : )