“Great Little Hotel”

Ranked #78 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Sheffield
“Great Little Hotel”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a great little hotel located in a traditional hutong neighbourhood. I stayed for four nights and had a very enjoyable stay.

On arrival I was greeted by a very courteous lady (who spoke fluent English) who helped me with my bags, I arrived quite early and my room wasn't ready but was offered drinks and the option to store my luggage while I explored.

The room (Dong House) was spacious and clean, all rooms are decorated in a minimalist and traditional way. The bed was very comfortable and the seating area nice to relax. The hotel was mostly a quiet haven after the rest of Beijing but as this is a very confined space loud voices will be heard. My only slight negative was the lighting in the room was very dim.

Then location of the Hotel is very convenient being near two subway stations and walking distance to Tienanmen Square, Wangfujing and the night market (if you're energetic). There are a few local stores nearby where you can pick up any essentials.

Overall a very relaxing place to stay in Beijing in a great location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Oliver S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Chongqing, China
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Overall I am happy with this hotel by myself. but my wife had complained to me and she made some good points. while the room that we have was nice, they didn't do a good job for the structure. we had a very loud next door neighbor, and for 2 nights that we stayed there, they did not stop making loud noises. we had no one to complained to because at night there was no staff around (I am not sure where they are).
I know that it's not the hotel's fault and they probably can't control their guests, but it still affected our vacation and we had very bad quality sleep. my wife found a cheaper place nearby for our next 4 nights. much better.
I would suggest to book this place if and only if you are not easily disturbed during your sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank LearyKC
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed over at this hotel for a night in May 2014. Wonderful!!

The landscape and the unusual peace and tranquility that often not come with a beijing hotel can be found here!! Staff are helpful, rooms are clean and of decent size( bei house), breakfast are good to fill you up for half a day. Highly recommended.

Last but not least, there are a nice land BBQ shop down the hutong, cheap price. We had a good nighttime drink and gathering above the rooftop terrace of the hulu hotel.

Stayed May 2014
Renens, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Nice place to stay in BeijingWe stayed four nights at the Hulu Hotel in April 2014. This hotel is particularly great if you are independent travelers (that is, not on a tour). The hotel staff is exceptionally helpful. They will recommend restaurants and make the reservations for you; print out directions; set up drivers to the sites and the airport; and always offer a friendly welcome. The breakfast is freshly made by order and they supply two bottles of water daily to your room . It's a great hotel to stay in for a more authentic experience and has a great location

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke1001
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We have been to china a few times over the last 2 years . This hotel is by far the cleanest we've stayed in and the staff are amazing . They speak beautiful English and are super helpful.
It's a great hotel to stay in for a more authentic experience and has a great location .
The only down fall I would say is not the layout or size of rooms but the fact the walls are quite thin. We stayed 7 nights and were constantly kept awake by our neighbours snoring or babies crying like it was in our room .
And that the blinds in the rooms let in a lot of light ( even At night with all the lights off it's like you have a bedside lamp on as the outside light comes through the closed blinds ) . I think the hotel could maybe invest in some heavy Curtians which would have made our stay and sleep a lot more enjoyable and defiantly look at sound proofing the joining walls more .
Having said that we still enjoyed our stay and after I invested in some earplugs and a night mask our sleep was not so disturbed .
And my opinion is based on myself being a light sleeper .
This opinion in no way affected how wonderful the staff are or their willingness to help and the immaculate kept rooms .

• Stayed April 2014
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We had a great experience at this little hotel!
Beautiful place with nice staff who speaks in english.
Near to two different subway stations and to Wangfujing street and Tiananmen sq.
Nice acommodations and occidental breakfast.
We definitely recommend this hotel if you are trying to have a more local experience.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lafayette, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed four nights at the Hulu Hotel in April 2014. This hotel is particularly great if you are independent travelers (that is, not on a tour). The hotel staff is exceptionally helpful. They will recommend restaurants and make the reservations for you; print out directions; set up drivers to the sites and the airport; and always offer a friendly welcome. We tried to add one more night but they were fully booked. The staff made a reservation for us at a comparable hotel at a very nice price. So the moral of this story is make your reservations for the Hulu early, because they fill up fast. The rooms at the Hulu are very clean and modern. Free bottled water is provided. The breakfasts are excellent. We didn’t realize how good the breakfasts at the Hulu were until we stayed at other hotels in China over the following 3 weeks. The walls are thin but everyone was respectfully quiet and the shower leaks water on the floor – only negatives I can think of. The Hulu is a place of quiet refuge in a big city. It was a great experience staying at the Hulu.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple