“Very nice”
Review of The HuLu Hotel

The HuLu Hotel
Ranked #84 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Exactely what I was hoping for. Located in a little hutong, yet very central, it was the quite place you need to retire to after exciting but exhausting days. Stylish and low key without red lantern or bright lights. Additionally, the very friendly and helpful team makes you feel very much as if it is your Beijing pied-a-terre. Nice breakfast menu and good cuppuchino. Subway, Chinese shops and banks are conveniently close by. I only discovered the last morning that they even got bicycles for rent.
My 3 day stay was a mixture of business and sightseeing and definitely too short. Because of WLAN I was even able to work in my room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The HuLu Hotel

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Based on Trip Advisor recommendations, we booked our stay here for 3 nights as we wanted to experience (as much as you can) and see life in a traditional hutong. Its a busy little hutong and it was great seeing all the comings and goings. Amazing what the people can do in small areas! Our room was nicely appointed, although I would have liked a small fridge, bed was very comfi with very good linen, and we had no experiences with noisy neighbours. In fact once inside the hotel, it's extremely quiet. The breakfasts were very good, my husband particularly liked the wonton soup. The bathroom overflowed a couple of times but on the third day seem to fix itself. Plush white towels were supplied each day although we didn't need a change. The review from Alita-b-angel on the distances to various places is pretty spot on. We used the subways a little and they're all good and safe. There's a great music shop on the main street and lots of local shopping. We did try a restaurant in the hutong area, it wasn't fantastic, but wasn't bad either. I would have liked the hotel to have a few evening meals available. When you're out and about all day, sometimes it's nice just to come back and eat in. Staff were happy to please but if bookings are made, ensure you obtain a reference no from them for the third party to retrieve your booking. We were charged a further fee by the third party to retrieve our train tickets as we didn't have a reference. But overall it was a good experience and value for money.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

From beginning to end they were great, it's a small boutique hotel, so it was such a relief after a series of average Chinese hotels to get this lovely haven of quiet in the middle traditional Hutong. You have a great modern hotel with all the quaint Chinese flair. Coming back here was truly like coming home.

It's centrally located, only 5 minutes walk from Dengshikou station (this is the closest) and about 10 minutes from Dongsi station. Within a 20 minutes walk radius you have the Wangfujing shopping district, where the street food stalls are the cleanest and most interesting, Tienanmen square and the Forbidden city.

The staff were definitely the highlight of our China trip. They went out of their way to provide good service. We arrived early after a long overnight train ride, before check in time, but they were more than happy to provide us free breakfast and to store our luggage, plus some restaurant recommendations. The breakfast is simple, with a limited menu, but made fresh and with love everyday (the french toast is amazing), though there is a little wait because of this.

The room was clean and the bed was the first soft bed we got in China. The walls are a little thin but most of the occupants of the hotel seem to be polite enough to keep their voices down. The bathroom has a rain shower, and I really enjoyed the organic amenities.
The hotel also has a nice roofside courtyard to relax in, during the day or night, the hotel itself has drinks downstairs for the low low price of 15 rmb per drink. At the head of the Street to get to the hotel there is also great and delicious skewers on sale for 1 rmb each available at all times of the day/night. After a long day's walk it was great to relax with friends on the rooftop with some skewers and a drink.

A big shout out of thanks to the staff who helped us out during our flights crisis. We managed to miss our flights in the middle of the night, and they were so helpful in contacting the airlines for us and sorting out new flights for us. The staff also helped us to print out maps and give advice on Beijing Transport.

Fantastic hotel, I would recommend any of my friends here.

2  Thank Alita-b-angel
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a great little hotel located in a traditional hutong neighbourhood. I stayed for four nights and had a very enjoyable stay.

On arrival I was greeted by a very courteous lady (who spoke fluent English) who helped me with my bags, I arrived quite early and my room wasn't ready but was offered drinks and the option to store my luggage while I explored.

The room (Dong House) was spacious and clean, all rooms are decorated in a minimalist and traditional way. The bed was very comfortable and the seating area nice to relax. The hotel was mostly a quiet haven after the rest of Beijing but as this is a very confined space loud voices will be heard. My only slight negative was the lighting in the room was very dim.

Then location of the Hotel is very convenient being near two subway stations and walking distance to Tienanmen Square, Wangfujing and the night market (if you're energetic). There are a few local stores nearby where you can pick up any essentials.

Overall a very relaxing place to stay in Beijing in a great location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Overall I am happy with this hotel by myself. but my wife had complained to me and she made some good points. while the room that we have was nice, they didn't do a good job for the structure. we had a very loud next door neighbor, and for 2 nights that we stayed there, they did not stop making loud noises. we had no one to complained to because at night there was no staff around (I am not sure where they are).
I know that it's not the hotel's fault and they probably can't control their guests, but it still affected our vacation and we had very bad quality sleep. my wife found a cheaper place nearby for our next 4 nights. much better.
I would suggest to book this place if and only if you are not easily disturbed during your sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank LearyKC
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed over at this hotel for a night in May 2014. Wonderful!!

The landscape and the unusual peace and tranquility that often not come with a beijing hotel can be found here!! Staff are helpful, rooms are clean and of decent size( bei house), breakfast are good to fill you up for half a day. Highly recommended.

Last but not least, there are a nice land BBQ shop down the hutong, cheap price. We had a good nighttime drink and gathering above the rooftop terrace of the hulu hotel.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Nice place to stay in BeijingWe stayed four nights at the Hulu Hotel in April 2014. This hotel is particularly great if you are independent travelers (that is, not on a tour). The hotel staff is exceptionally helpful. They will recommend restaurants and make the reservations for you; print out directions; set up drivers to the sites and the airport; and always offer a friendly welcome. The breakfast is freshly made by order and they supply two bottles of water daily to your room . It's a great hotel to stay in for a more authentic experience and has a great location

1  Thank Luke1001