“Go to Silk Street Instead for Shopping and Browsing Around”

Pearl Market (Hongqiao Market)
Book In Advance
US$79.00*
and up
Beijing Tour: the Forbidden City, Hongqiao Market, Acrobatic Show and Gourmet...
US$65.00*
Private Tour: Pearl Market, Kung Fu Show, and Peking Duck Dinner
US$45.00*
Private Beijing Shopping Tour
Ranked #42 of 1,611 things to do in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: This is Beijing’s largest and most popular market for pearl jewelry (notably freshwater pearls), clothing and luggage.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I checked out the Hongqiao Market just to browse around and see what they were selling. It was mostly electronics, cashmere clothing, and pearls (each separated by different floors). There was not much to see, and observing the interaction between foreigners and shopsellers, the latter were quite aggressive, and there were many times when the customer would just leave.

Overall, I don't recommend this place for both browsing and shopping. I preferred the Silk Street, not because of the price but because of the greater variety of things to browse and its atmosphere is less gloomy than Hongqiao Market's.

3  Thank Dan C
There are newer reviews for Pearl Market (Hongqiao Market)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is much like the silk market and shanghai's Taobao market which we have visited in the last week.

I feel though that we got better prices here, less hassling and the same variety of goods.

Remember try not to spend more than 1/10 of what they start at and if you are looking for watches ask for the ones that they have in a box behind the counter as these are considerably better quality (I think they are almost identical to the originals) whereas the ones on display are very cheap in feel and look.

2  Thank Henry C
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is similar to the old Silk Market and is now better than the Silk Market. There are more choice of anything you are looking for from scarf, clothing to souvenirs. Behind this Pearl Market you can find a varieties of Toys for young and old. A good shopping location for the family. It is also very near to the subway. Business hour is from 9.30am -7pm only. Wish it could open till 9pm!

1  Thank travelholic283
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I went here yesterday with my husband and it was a great experience. I read reviews here...some good and some bad but took a chance since we needed to do dome shopping while in Beijing and I'm happy that I did. I got a nice set of pearls (2 different sets) and she made matching earrings and bracelets for each. I went on the 4th floor to Sharon's and didn't regret it. I worked my way down to the lower floors...a lot of aggressive people trying to sell you goods but if you know how to bargain, you van get a great steal on electronics, jewelry, purses, make-up, etc. we had to buy 2 back packs to carry everything back to the room. Wish that I could go back again today but will be traveling and leaving Beijing this afternoon! I say that this place is definitely worth a visit!!

7  Thank Afgurlrun98
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I have went there with high hopes to buy lots of goods but to my disappointment there isn't much things there. The sellers are aggressive. The quoted price are high, of cos you can negotiate for lower price but to me is meaningless. Why do I need to negotiate something I know they priced it high for your negotiation? Is it worth it ? Do you need it? Think yourself.....