“great price for the great facilities”

Hongdu Shijia Hotel
Ranked #16 of 941 Speciality Lodging in Beijing
“great price for the great facilities”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Clean and tidy room, hot water work well, great wifi, great food. Almost staff can speak english, so no need to worry.
Walk around 10 minutes to subway station Dengshikou
Very recommended for reasonable price!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We picked this place for two reasons: it was fairly close to the other hostel we stayed and couldnt book extra nights + the price was reasonable for a double ensuite.

The location was convenient although about a 10-15 min walk to either of two metro stations (2 different lines). The room we stayed in was a good size, wifi was free and they have a roof-terrace for a late afternoon drink (buy your beer at reception or any of the small shops around). Lots of small restaurants around with a good choice (Hotpot, Peking duck and your regular places).

The room didnt look very clean though, lots of black smudges on the walls and the ensuite bathroom wasn't up to standard either. We're backpacking so not really picky, but black mould between the tiles and on the sink isn't good. Reception was helpful depending on the girl sitting there. Some speak english, some don't, some are friendly, some are not.

There was a lot of renovating happening (during the day, no noise at night) when we were there and if they manage to do the rooms, bathrooms and roof, I believe this will be a very nice place to stay. Otherwise there are better places to be found for a similar price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Krabi Town, Thailand
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Pros: Decent location (not too far from metro), good restaurant, cheap cold beer, rooms and bathrooms fine but nothing special. Price high for China, but probably not for Beijing.

Cons: They lost our booking for the first night, and put us in the luggage storage/office room. Room was ok (bunk beds, AC, TV) but employees came in without knocking and there was no key to lock in our stuff. In addition, no price discount for losing our reservations. Staff for restaurant were frequently absent or buried in their phones/video games. Front desk staff were often impatient and possibly annoyed by questions.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The hostel refused entry to my Chinese husband, saying that it is hostel 'policy' to keep Chinese and foreigners separate. No explanation was given and I know for a fact that there is no kind of law in China to this effect. In our eyes, this amounts to racist discrimmination in his own country, and I feel that I absolutely have to take a stand and write this review urging you not to stay at a place with this sort of record. Please do not support this behaviour by staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank H M
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed in this hostel (when they were previously called Saga Youth Hostel) sometime in March 2011. I was with a friend; part of our agenda was to see the Great Wall. We arrived late and the student who helped us was very patient and led us to a great room. We first had a room that had a shared bathroom (typical of hostels) but we later moved to one that has a washroom inside for privacy purposes. The location is very accessible and is a walk away from a shopping district called Wangfujing. Also, this is very near the Forbidden City and the Palace Museum. I would stay here once more if I had a second chance to visit Beijing.

Room Tip: Get a room with your own private bathroom if this is an issue with you.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Usuki, Japan
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed here for a week, and really enjoyed my time here. I arrived late (after midnight), and had asked them to hold my reservation, which they did. I got a single room with shared bathroom, and my room was really clean. There was a bleach stain on the comforter, but that didn't really bother me. The bed was big and a little hard, but comfortable. I could not get wi-fi in my room, but could get it in the common area downstairs (although it was slow).

The bathrooms were okay, but could have been cleaner - especially the showers which could have used a good scrubbing.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They helped me book several things around town, and also a flight. Their prices for these excursions was lower than anywhere else I saw.

The common areas were nice and kept clean. There was a nice lounge area to sit and relax and read or eat or talk. The outside deck was very spacious and pleasent. I appreciated that I could get cold beer and water for a good price.

The location was okay - about a 5-10 minute walk from the subway. I walked from the hostel to the Forbidden City in about 30 minutes, and to the downtown area in about 15-20.

All told, I would definitely recommend this place. It was pretty clean and comfortable, and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is now called Saga Hostel at 9 Shijia Hutong. Great location on quiet, characterful alleyway, but near busy street with lots of restaurants. Five minutes walk from Dengshikou metro station. Walking distance to Forbidden City. We had a twin room with ensuite. It was clean and bright, with all facilities, including kettle and hairdryer. Rooms vary, though - you need to ask for one with an outside window. Staff were helpful, spoke English, and booked us a fixed-price taxi to the airport (we had to go too early for the metro). There is a comfy lounge area. Meals are so-so, but plenty of eateries nearby. I would recommend the place and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for room with outside window - some just open on to the corridor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends