“Do not trust these people”

Holiday Inn Central Plaza
Ranked #90 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Belarus
“Do not trust these people”
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I made the mistake of making bookings at this hotel. I had a trip to Hong Kong via Beijing planned for 9-12 March returning to Beijing on 22-23 March. To get a visa for China I had to make flight and accommodation bookings prior to applying for a visa.

As this was around the time of the Peoples Convention I had my visa refused despite having made previous trips for business into China.

Unfortunately the Holiday Inn Central Plaza refused to refund the booking costs so I had 5 nights @ $123 per night stolen from me because of this hotels booking policies.

It might get good reviews but if your plans are not 100% solid I would not risk booking with this hotel as they do not act in an honourable way when their own government causes a cancellation. There are better risks in Beijing!

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank KazakhstanNeil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 April 2009

The service at this hotel was wonderful, the staff kind and accommodating. The hotel itself is clean and modern and although the location is a bit removed from public transport or walking to places (mostly because the city is huge!) the staff make it very easy for you to take a taxi (for cheap) anywhere you want/need to go. Definitely would stay at this hotel again!

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My brother and I were on holiday when we visited China for the first time. After several reviews of Beijing hotels on TripAdvisor, we decided with Holiday Inn Central Plaza. Our decision couldn't be better, primarily because of Storm.
I typically stay in hotels about 3 nights a week as part of my career working for an airline. I was particularly impressed by this Holiday Inn because it truly is a luxury hotel, with a spa/massage center, fitness center, restaurants with an amazing breakfast buffet, and a courteous staff that will help you with anything you need.
It is important that you contact Storm immediately when you check-in, that way you can get your questions answered and get your itineraries finalized for not just Beijing, but for anywhere in China. Storm was able to recommend a hotel and tour in Xi'an for us, and helped book air travel from Beijing to Xi'an and back, all of it was less expensive than what we found online. Even while in Xi'an, Storm contacted us to ensure that everything he had helped arrange was going well. Storm is the ultimate "go to" person in order to have the best experience in Beijing.
You will most certainly find him at the Salt & Pepper restaurant during breakfast, as he makes his rounds helping the guests. If you need him at other times, just ask a hotel staff member for him, and they will call him for you. It is even advisable to email him at goodstorm@188.com before you arrive in Beijing to give him notice of your arrival. He is a genuinely nice person that can truly makes a difference for your China holiday.
We observed nothing but smiles from the amazing staff and other hotel guests. I am looking forward to returning to China in September with my parents, and am even more excited about staying here again and arranging it with Storm.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Although the location is not ideal, the hotel staff and room accommodations were very good. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. We got the greatest kick out of the young Greek intern in the Executive Lounge. (Pay an extra few bucks for a room on the Executive Level.) This young man is enthusiastic, bright, funny and engaging and on his way to a successful hotel career.

But, it was Storm that was most puzzling and ultimately a disappointment. It quickly became clear that Storm has his own agenda so he can maximize vendor commissions. When we didn't go to his favorite Peking Duck, tea room and Hot Pot restaurant he wasn't happy. And, when he found out we were booking tours through the hotel instead of him, he literally cornered us a hall way and told us to cancel our hotel booked tour because his tour, in taxis, was the "real tour", but it wasn't. Yes, our tour to Badaling Wall cost a bit more than a taxi, but we got a lot more: a funny knowledgeable English speaking guide, all admissions, lunch and the chance to socialize with a small group (12) people from several countries. Sure there were two sales stops on the tour, but both were interesting and fun...no problem. Seeing a city from the back of a taxi with a non-English speaking driver, is not an authentic experience.

Rather than a true concierge, Storm appears to be a sub-contractor farming guests for his income, so take his suggestions with a grain of salt. We believe he sees hotel guests as his personal flock to herd and harvest and his bad-mouthing of the hotel tours and management staff was unprofessional and super uncomfortable for us. There is something a bit sleazy and smarmy about Storm and his agenda that like many things in China has two faces.

1 Thank denrox4
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I was in Beijing for the first time on business and went with the this hotel on Trip Advisor for it’s then # 2 ranking for popularity of all 1200+ Beijing Hotels. I was not disappointed. My whole experience at this hotel has been wonderful. The only downside is the location as it is in the South West part of Beijing and a lot of my business was in the North East. Chanchungie Subway is the closest, can take 15 to 30 minutes by taxi dependin g on time of day. It took me two hours by Airport express train and the subway and then taxi to get to hotel. The hotel staff were fantastic. Joanna checked me in wonderfully and gave me an upgrade to a business room and access to the fabulous executive lounge. The staff generally here are some of the friendliest staff I have ever come across in my travels. Jessica and Maggie in the executive lounge went to great lengths to satisfy my requests. Roger the front desk manager was always asking after my welfare as well which was really nice. The hotel has been designed by a Feng Shui master. You can sense a lot of thought has gone in to the design of the rooms and the general atmosphere of the hotel. I could not fault the quality of the food, the rooms, the internet access etc etc. Just be careful that you pick the right hotel for your trip as getting from one side of Beijing to the other, either by taxi or subway can take hours. Also the masseurs are not properly qualified masseuses in the beauty salon on the 2nd floor. I requested a Thai massage and did not get what I asked for. I will be back to stay at this hotel with my wife and boy for a holiday in July hopefully.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Beijing,China
Reviewed 22 March 2009

As mentioned, greeted with courtesy and bending over backwards to make your stay as pleasant as possible in all respects; this Holiday Inn should be a training ground for all units both foreign and domestic. This applies to all personnel, from the door man to the front desk, to the maid, to the restaurant. It is very unusual to find such a customer oriented staff in this day and age, and most refreshing to find it as a foreigner where the barrier of a language is the opportunity to be overcome with genuine service. The acme of this visit was being served by Mr. Storm who is the Hallmark of Service.

Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 20 March 2009

A very nice hotel by any standard. Rooms are large and impeccably clean as is the entire hotel. The hotel is located approximately 3 km Southwest of the Forbidden City and less than a 5 dollar cab ride from anywhere you would want to go in Beijing proper. All of the staff were wonderful and truly went the extra mile at every possible opportunity. This hotel really strives to be the best in Beijing: they regularly check reviews on tripadvisor and are quite sensitive and responsive to all feedback received. The buffet breakfast included in our room rate was expansive and of very high quality. Like so many others, we chose the Holiday Inn Central based upon the many positive reviews below, especially those praising the services of Storm. Even with the tremendous expectations for Storm based upon the countless reviews he does not disappoint. Storm will help you to arrange as much or as little as you desire. His recommendations were spot on for us, allowing us to see much more of Beijing during our stay than we would be capable of otherwise. Additionally, the trip he arranged for us and personally accompanied us to the Great Wall was simply spectacular and wonderfully devoid of unnecessary or irrelevant visits to factories or other tourist traps. I would absolutely recommend the Holiday Inn Central to any of my family or friends visiting Beijing.