“Totally recommend - great for kids (and everyone else too!)”

Holiday Inn Central Plaza
Ranked #88 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore
“Totally recommend - great for kids (and everyone else too!)”
Reviewed 3 May 2009

Travelling with young children? Stay here! We decided to take our three kids (ages 7, 5 and just 3) on a cultural holiday to China. We had an eventful, interesting and wonderful time and the Holiday Inn was just perfect for us. Everyone there was wonderful - and especially nice to our children, the restaurant staff (thank you Anna from St Petersberg - our kids loved you) couldn't do enough for us and made us feel so welcome - no matter what the crazy request. We met the famous Storm, who is a master at realising if you need his help or not and a real gem if you need advice on what to see or where to go.
The rooms and the hotel itself are just a nice hotel - like any other nice hotel - tastefully decorated, everything works, the bathrooms are clean and well-stocked with toilettries, the linen smells nice and the beds are big and comfortable - oh and it is quiet - no paper thin walls here. Personally I don't need anything else from a hotel. (Want? Maybe, but need? No.)
BUT. What makes this place really special is that there are really, really nice people working here. The training must be amazing - either that or they are all super happy about something. They looked after us so well, we spent ages in the restaurant and ended up (very dull of us) eating every breakfast and dinner there because it was just so easy and pleasant (and our kids love buffets!).
Don't expect a glamorous marble palace - but wouldn't you rather be somewhere with lovely staff who seem to really care about what they do?
If I had to say something constructive I would say that I'd love to see the pool a couple of degrees warmer (because I am a wimp and it was freezing in Beijing) and the changing rooms given a facelift to match the rest of the hotel - they look a bit sad. Also, the massage menu was rather cryptic and the massage I had was good but I had no idea what I was letting myself in for - more description might have been good.
We had a great time here - really recommend it.

1 Thank MiAuCa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
db
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel for six days in april 2009.
At home I had read the many positive comments about this hotel and staff.
It all appeared true.
I could easily talk about many positive aspects of my stay in this hotel, but others have done this before.
I fully agree with them.

One experience.

I wanted to bike through Beijing, so I mailed the hotel before to rent a bike for me.
For whatever reason, my rental bike was not there when I arrived at the hotel.
I met Storm, I asked him where my bike was.
He told me that he had expected still another mail from me as a kind of extra confirmation of my wish to rent a bike.
He was probably right, but I had not sent this extra mail.
So, no bike.

Storm asked me when I wanted a bike.
In two hours, I said.

Two hours later I had a bike.

I could use the bike all six days of my stay in Beijing.
I had a wonderful time with this bike, I crossed through Beijing at ease.

The bike was Storm's own bike, he lended it to me.

After six days I returned the bike to Storm. With many thanks.
Storm abolutely did not accept any financial compensation for the borrowing of his bike.
In my opinion it would be normal if I had paid him some money for this service.
But he really wanted no money, so finally I gave him just my sincere thanks.

Let nobody tell me that Storm is after the money.
On the contrary: I did not notice anything in this direction.
So my conclusion is that Storm is just a great guy, who wants to show his kindness and hospitality!

I thank him for this unselfish act, that gave me so much pleaure.

Paul de Gier, the Netherlands

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank pdgDb
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 May 2009

Just spent 9 nights at the Holiday Inn Central Plaza

Pros
- As mentioned Storm is amazing! He is proactive and found us a great/cheap Peking Duck (11USD), an amazing mushroom hot pot restaurant (12USD) and arranged a private trip to Ming Tombs/Great wall (104USD). I am not sure what his title is but he is more a Customer Service Ambassador for the Hotel than a concierge. I am surprised he is not teaching customer service. Frankly, because of location, I doubt I would stay there if he was not working there. I wonder if the hotel knows how much business he brings in?

- Great deal as far as room 90USD with breakfast.

- Fast internet 2MBit, although ya gotta pay 90RMB for it 

Cons
- It is a little far from the action, but taxis are cheap, although be warned divers do not seem to know their city well, even with addresses written in Chinese I found them getting lost 70% of time, unless of course it was a major tourist spot. Print address and map in Chinese if you need to go somewhere not on tourist trail

- Most of the concierge staff seems pretty green, unless I could find Storm, Frank or Grace I would just sort out my own stuff on the net transfer images of addresses in Chinese to my iphone. I am not sure if it’s lack of English or knowledge, but is was time consuming and frustrating dealing with most of front room staff.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Max S
Serbia
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I spent a week in Holiday Inn Central Plaza and found it as very good. Everything went fine from my first day's check-in to the last day's check-out. I was tired the first evening when I came to the hotel so, I did not recognize that in the breakfast-room they served a buffet-style dinner, which is something I prefer. Nevertheless, I went to Zen restaurant (they have several restaurants within Holiday Inn Central Plaza) and had my dinner there. The second day I choose the buffet dinner and the rest of my stay I eat out, either various dimsum delicatessen in the street outlets or did some food shopping in nearby stores. By the way, the breakfasts were excellent and with a variety of choices, including familiar western style, as well as with valuable opportunities of tasty Chinese noodle soups and similar goodies. The room was large and clean, including the bathroom (see the pictures). I liked all the bath ware provided to the guests, as well as two bottles of drinking water per day (free).

Holiday Inn Central Plaza provides an excellent taxi support (there is zero-time waiting for a next ride). The hotel has several staff members whose main job seems to be organizing taxi rides for you. In fact, they fill in special hotel cards with the car plate(s) of the car(s) and give the cards to you to fill in the rest i.e. if you are satisfied with the ride or so. Later you return the card(s) to the stuff and then you can easily check if the particular driver did the proper job on the regular costs, or maybe ripped you off or so. (I have not experienced that while my stay in Holiday Inn Central Plaza.) I have found that service as an excellent way of preventing possible cheating with the taxis. Overall, I used that kind of service for several city trips, including visits to Temple of Heaven, Lama Temple, Houhai lake area, and China Science and Technology Museum. (I have also used taxis for some other routes but these mentioned above all started from the hotel's door.

Instead of using taxis from and back to the hotel, and particularly if you want to learn more about the 'ordinary' style of life in Beijing, there are plenty of bus and subway lines that you can use with accommodation at Holiday Inn Central Plaza. Please note that the hotel is not so close to the nearest metro station, (I think that Nanlishilu was the name of the nearest station) but you can learn to use buses to reach the metro system. For example, my third day in Beijing has started by visiting Lama Temple. Although I did start the daily trip with a taxi provided by the hotel staff, a friendly concierge suggested me to look after the metro station, which was close to the Lama Temple area. The idea was to use a combined two-subway line ride to approach the Summer Palace in the second half of the day. Therefore, I did so without any problem, but eventually I returned to the hotel by another taxi because it was late in the afternoon and I did not want to study my way to the hotel by dark.

The other day I found myself in the famous Wangfujing shopping area, fully crowded by foreign and domestic, mostly rural visitors. After spending some few hours at Wangfujing, I learned how to return to the hotel without taxi. Actually, there is a Wangfujing subway station that is hidden in the basement of a large shopping mall (I forgotten its name). So if you want to go right to Holiday Inn, you should take the line #1 in a direction that goes through the subway station named Nanlishilu (A remark: Take always a city map with you. By the way, subway tickets are two RMB only). At Nanlishilu station, exit the subway, go upstairs and out of the station, turn right at the nearby street crossing, walk some hundred meters and locate the bus stop for line #56. (I was amazed when recognized people quietly waiting in a queue, one by one – which is something completely opposite from the custom in Serbia.) So, join the queue if it is there, enter the bus (bus tickets are 1 RMB, don't expect to get a real ticket from a driver or bus conductor – just put the money in the transparent box close the bus crew), and enjoy local passengers watching you as the stranger for some 10 minute ride. Leave the bus at the bus stop *before* Holiday Inn. When it is dark outside you could miss the particular stop, what happened to me once or twice, but do not worry: you will spot the familiar green logo of the hotel at the right side of the bus, so just leave the vehicle at the next stop, *after* the hotel, and walk back a few dozens of meters. After a 3-minute walk, you are in the front of Holiday Inn Central Plaza. That way, and despite the absence of a nearby subway station, you will be capable to reach major locations (Tiananmen Square, Wangfujing shopping area, etc) for just 1+2=3 RMB per direction. Besides that inexpensive kind of travel through the city, if you use that kind of transportation back to the hotel in the evenings, very close to your last #56 bus stop there is a bakery and some food stores so you can get something for your supper at almost no cost. Beer cans start from 2.60 RMB, salted peanuts and/or a cookie at 3 RMB, a package of various kinds of Chinese cakes at app 8-10 RMB etc. Compare that with the Holiday Inn's 200+ RMB buffet dinner, or some 400 RMBs in the Holiday's 'Zen' restaurant…) Of course, if you are not on a budget like me, you are free to spend whatever you want …

Although I have not met the famous Storm Li personally (though we might have met but I did not recognize his appearance), I met another nice member of the Holiday Inn's staff, their duty manager, Mr Bob Tan. Bob helped me a lot to find myself as familiar as possible not only within the hotel premises but with the opportunities of that fascinating city. Among the others, he advised me to try some shopping within the area surrounding Xidan subway station etc.

Summarizing my experience with Holiday Inn Central Plaza, I could say it is an excellent choice for almost every sort of possible guests, maybe excepting the families with small children. Actually I did not see some (if any) suitable areas within (or outside) the hotel where the kids could play or have some otherwise fun, but maybe I just missed to see something like that. On the other side, business customers would appreciate the absence of loudly kids in the hotel. In the evenings, around 10 pm, I liked to swim for a while in the hotel's pool but found the water a little bit cold for my personal taste. In fact, the second half of that March 2009 was relatively cold and windy in the Beijing area, so I would appreciate more hot water in the pool next time I visit Holiday Inn Central Plaza.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank MickeySerbia
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2009

We chose this hotel after reading all the great reviews here on TA. We were not disappointed. Nice quiet area (residential) with local restaurants recommended by Storm just around the corner..Taxis were cheap & not too far from markets etc. Storm planned our trip to Mutianyu Great Wall which was excellent, organised a pedicab tour through the hutongs and even went as far as escorting us to our actual train carriage for our overnight trip to Xi'an. He was incredibly helpful, a bonus to the Hotel.
The hotels standard exceeded our expectations..as a 3star, I would rate it closer to 4.5 / 5. The Hotel is only 5yrs old and the facilites were excellent. The pool area & gym in particular & also the buffet breakfast would have to be one of the best we have experienced in Asia.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, only downfall was the a/c in the room. Too warm & stuffy, unable to turn down due to government regulations. (experienced this also in Shanghai) Our request for a fan was punctual.
Great English speaking staff. Would stay here again.

Sweden
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Must agree to all positive reviews so far - this hotel is real value for money! Located in a living area with its pros&cons. Positive; local resturants located nearby with good Local Food. Cons: spend time in taxi to downtown evening area for more nightlife.
Staff is excellent in service and energy to help out and if you are troubled about anything outside the hotel - just look for Storm;). Can really recommend this hotel to everyone.

Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 22 April 2009

My husband and I went on an Asian Tour for our Honeymoon, and the hotel accommodations and staff were one of the nicest things about our time in China. Storm, the concierge, was one of the most helpful people we met. For our honeymoon they had a beautiful bouquet of flowers, champagne, and chocolate- all complimentary. The room was fantastic, very spacious and clean, with lovely modern decor. They seemed very concerned with feedback. We had one small problem with a hairdryer and it was fixed immediately. They also have a very nice buffet at the hotel, although it was a bit overpriced. There's a great massage place right across the street with very decent prices and nice staff. Storm was the golden boy- he arranged for us to eat at very authentic locations, and took us on a personal tour of the Great Wall. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple