I guess I wasn't disappointed.
We stayed for 5 nights ay the Holiday Inn Central Plaza in November and chose it because of the high TA rating plus a Priority Club special offer. With such a high rating I was hoping I wasn't going to be too disappointed and in most cases all the reviews before are quite accurate so I am not going to add too much other than a few points...
1) The Hotel itself is a little old but the rooms are still in good condition
2) The hotel offers a car service from the airport at 550 RMB, it is about 1 hour drive and the traffic can be quite bad in BJ. I thought this price was too high so we caught a taxi (we currently live in Shanghai so no real problem) which cost about 140RMB. (make sure you get the hotel name and address in Chinese beforehand to give to the driver) On the way back to the airport we used a car and driver that took us to the Great wall 2 days before and he charged us 180 RMB.
3) The "Storm" (see other reviews) didn't appear until the middle of our stay and was very helpful in arranging the acrobatic show; he even called the pickup service while we were in the car to make sure everything was OK. A nice touch.
4) We were going to take the bus tour to the Great Wall and Ming Tombs organised at the concierge desk but a colleague arranged a car and driver for the day and we went to the Great Wall and Summer Palace, no guide nor does the driver speak English but this gives you the freedom to do what you want. It costs a little more but not that much, we paid 680 RMB for the driver and car, the bus tour was 350 RMB per person but this also included admissions and lunch. The concierge also offered us the driver option for 800 RMB but said the bus tour was better!
5) We used taxis rather than the subway which looked too far away from the hotel. The hotel "take me to...." card had the distance and approx prices for a taxi ride which was very useful as the taxi drivers are not as friendly as in Shanghai. As an example, we wanted to take a taxi back from the Temple of Heaven to the hotel (The hotel card says 6km and 20 RMB) but the first one wanted to charge 80 RMB, the second and 3rd just refused. The fourth was a goodie and charged us the meter rate. We actually had a mixed experience with the taxis but it is still a cheap way of getting around in China. The highlight for us was getting the "singing taxi driver of BJ" who magically appeared as we came out of the acrobatic show, I was expecting to have to negotiate a price and was willing to pay double the normal rate but he not only used the meter but sang to us English songs all the way back, He knew them all, even started singing Waltzing Matilda when we said we were from Australia. It was quite lucky to get this guy and even though he was just a poor taxi driver he was probably the first one I have ever come across that we could hold a conversation with in English. I wished I could have got his number.
6) The only two disappointments with the hotel are first, with the wine list. (selection and prices) It was not the choice we have had at other hotels in China and the prices were double the normal! Secondly not have a computer available for internet access. The wanted to charge a very high amount for using one in the business centre, very dissaponting :-(
7) The location is probably not the best but the rate was good and if you are travelling to different sightseeing spots it doesn’t matter too much where you are.
Anyway, a good hotel, very friendly and I would go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing, an Award-Winning hotel, is conveniently located in Guanganmen commercial and civic area, adjacent to the new Municipal Government Office Building and is within a stone's throw from Beijing's Financial Street. The hotel is close to tourist and shopping attractions such as Wangfujing, Oriental Plaza and the Forbidden City. It is 10 minutes drive from the West and South Train Station and 45 minutes from the Capital Airport.The hotel has 322 contemporary guest rooms, including suites and two floors of Executive Club rooms, all equipped with wired and wireless broadband internet, speaker telephone and multi-language voice mail. With a 640 square meter, pillar-free ballroom and 8 other function rooms ranging from 35 to 176 square meters, the hotel is an ideal venue for business meetings and social functions alike. All the meeting rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art audio-visual facilities, built-in work station, wireless broadband connection and video conference facilities. The hotel's professional meeting team will ensure every event a success.The hotel also provides other facilities like business center ticketing and tour desk, kiosk, car rental, concierge taxi and limousine service, baby sitting service, karaoke as well as a Mini Golf Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, IHG, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Central Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Central Plaza Hotel Beijing
- Holiday Inn Beijing
- Beijing Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing