“The expectation was high and.......”

Holiday Inn Central Plaza
Ranked #91 of 6,520 Hotels in Beijing
Sydney, Australia
“The expectation was high and.......”
Reviewed 29 November 2009

I guess I wasn't disappointed.
We stayed for 5 nights ay the Holiday Inn Central Plaza in November and chose it because of the high TA rating plus a Priority Club special offer. With such a high rating I was hoping I wasn't going to be too disappointed and in most cases all the reviews before are quite accurate so I am not going to add too much other than a few points...
1) The Hotel itself is a little old but the rooms are still in good condition
2) The hotel offers a car service from the airport at 550 RMB, it is about 1 hour drive and the traffic can be quite bad in BJ. I thought this price was too high so we caught a taxi (we currently live in Shanghai so no real problem) which cost about 140RMB. (make sure you get the hotel name and address in Chinese beforehand to give to the driver) On the way back to the airport we used a car and driver that took us to the Great wall 2 days before and he charged us 180 RMB.
3) The "Storm" (see other reviews) didn't appear until the middle of our stay and was very helpful in arranging the acrobatic show; he even called the pickup service while we were in the car to make sure everything was OK. A nice touch.
4) We were going to take the bus tour to the Great Wall and Ming Tombs organised at the concierge desk but a colleague arranged a car and driver for the day and we went to the Great Wall and Summer Palace, no guide nor does the driver speak English but this gives you the freedom to do what you want. It costs a little more but not that much, we paid 680 RMB for the driver and car, the bus tour was 350 RMB per person but this also included admissions and lunch. The concierge also offered us the driver option for 800 RMB but said the bus tour was better!
5) We used taxis rather than the subway which looked too far away from the hotel. The hotel "take me to...." card had the distance and approx prices for a taxi ride which was very useful as the taxi drivers are not as friendly as in Shanghai. As an example, we wanted to take a taxi back from the Temple of Heaven to the hotel (The hotel card says 6km and 20 RMB) but the first one wanted to charge 80 RMB, the second and 3rd just refused. The fourth was a goodie and charged us the meter rate. We actually had a mixed experience with the taxis but it is still a cheap way of getting around in China. The highlight for us was getting the "singing taxi driver of BJ" who magically appeared as we came out of the acrobatic show, I was expecting to have to negotiate a price and was willing to pay double the normal rate but he not only used the meter but sang to us English songs all the way back, He knew them all, even started singing Waltzing Matilda when we said we were from Australia. It was quite lucky to get this guy and even though he was just a poor taxi driver he was probably the first one I have ever come across that we could hold a conversation with in English. I wished I could have got his number.
6) The only two disappointments with the hotel are first, with the wine list. (selection and prices) It was not the choice we have had at other hotels in China and the prices were double the normal! Secondly not have a computer available for internet access. The wanted to charge a very high amount for using one in the business centre, very dissaponting :-(
7) The location is probably not the best but the rate was good and if you are travelling to different sightseeing spots it doesn’t matter too much where you are.
Anyway, a good hotel, very friendly and I would go back.

2 Thank wareinbelgium

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Swindon, Wiltshire
Reviewed 25 November 2009

For the people who dont know Beijing, you will be satisfied with this hotel.As people have said it is out of the centre,but with taxis so cheap its not a problem.My wife and i stayed 3 nights in November 2009.The aim was to see the sites so you go out early and get back for dinner.This hotel was relaxed, spacious, well furnished and provided a breakfast buffet that was first class in every respect.The executive room package was also very usefull after a tiring day.Being a first time visitor to Beijing we were a little unsure of the services offered by the young man named Storm.Having used his services i have to say he was very very good.He arranged for a taxi to meet us at the airport 150 cny. Before we left England he purchased Bullet train tickets on our behalf. i paid him 9 days later, he kept in touch with us throughout our stay and was allways there for us if we wanted his help.In fact all the staff in the hotel went that bit further to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

1 Thank mark8738
San Diego
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We just came back from a long trip through China, where it ended with a three day sojourn in Beijing at the Holiday Inn Central Plaza. From check-in onwards, we had nothing but a wonderful experience. Staff was attentive, had great command of English, and the concierge was more than helpful (a special shout-out to David, who really went out of his way to ensure we were taken care of in and out of the hotel).

The hotel is located about a 5-8 minute cab ride from the subway station, and is about a 10-15 minute walk (depending on how tall you are, I suppose). Use the subway system if you can - it is super easy and everything is written in English. Otherwise, most of the key tourist areas are about a 15-25 minute cab ride away (Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, etc.). Summer Palace was about a 30 minute cab ride - cost us around 50 RMB one way.

There is a great restaurant just a block away called 'Youth Restaurant'. Great food and great service there as well. There are also two supermarkets nearby so you can grab things in bulk if needed (i.e. water, snacks, cheap beer, etc.).

Make sure to book your room with the breakfast included. We found the breakfast to be quite tasty with numerous options available.

What would have really topped this part of the trip off was free internet. :-\

Bottom line - if you are looking for a 4 star hotel for under a $100 USD/night, you need to stay here. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Creedence111
London, UK
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I stayed here in October 2009 for four nights with my 8 year old daughter. I have to say I was very impressed with the room, food, comfort and overall levels of service.
The room was large, modern, clean and very comfortable. Apples were given on arrival and a bottle of water each was supplied everyday. Bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch. The only downside was that the aircon was next to useless. Not a problem in October but a potential big problem in summer.
The swimming pool was lovely to come back to in the evening as was the steam room and sauna.
Buffet breakfast was superb and set me up for the day. The evening buffet represented extremely good value with my daughter eating free. The selection and quality of food was very good and it had an excellent sushi chef.
The location is ok. It is about 3km to the nearest subway station, and about 7 or 8km to some of the major attractions like the Temple of Heaven.
Staff were universally very good, and would go out of their way to be helpful.
There is a good team atmosphere at the hotel. Should I visit Beijing again this would be my hotel of choice and I would not even look at anywhere else.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank unrealneil
NEWYORK
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I've been china many time. but before for work only . this time I brought my family came with me . we all got booking from asia room site.we got really nice family room. the room here much more large than hotel in thailand, and really different style. With all beautiful decorating in the room.
my son love it and my husband as well. we love hotel and the most important the toilet was very very clean ....

Very luxury five star hotel . Strongly recommend to all .

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Athens Greece.
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I travelled with my daughter to China.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel &found the staff most helpful & polite.Really liked the main entrance lobby area---spacious & modern.Concierge most helpful in arranging excursions around the city --in particular
Great Wall/Olympic complex /Forbidden City/Summer palace & more ! Enjoyed the hotel restaurants & relaxing in the bar & also a swim in the roof top pool.I particularly enjoyed a rick shaw ride around the local vicinity close to the hotel---great atmosphere !
This hotel offers both leisure & business travellers all they need.

• Stayed October 2009
Nebraska
Reviewed 11 November 2009

My sister and I traveled to Bejing as part of a university experience in Weihai. We picked this hotel because of the reviews and most especially because of Storm Li. Our connecting flight out of Minneapolis was delayed a day because of bad weather. Storm kept track of our progress and still had someone waiting for us at the Bejing airport when we finally arrived. Since we missed a day Storm had the hotel comp us a meal during which he helped us plan the shortened version of our stay in Bejiing. He arranged everything, including the Peking duck dinner. He even came to the restaurant to help us plan the next day. Everyone at the hotel was great. The rooms were very much a bargain. Don't even think of staying anywhere else. This is the place to stay in Bejing!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple