“Great room service!”

Chang An Grand Hotel Beijing
Ranked #2,439 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was the final hotel that we stayed in on out 16 day Gate 1, China adventure. Our double room was every large and spacious. It was pretty late at night when we checked in and we were pretty hungry and exhausted. We didn't feel like going out, or even going back downstairs for food, so we decided to order via room service. I ordered a cheese pizza and took a beer from the mini bar, my best friend ordered a turkey club with fries. The food was actually pretty good, arrived in less than 30 min, and not very expensive.The bathroom in this hotel room was actually the first that we'd had with a third facet which was labeled drinkable. This was actually very convenient because we were too tired to purchase bottled water on our first night. The beds were on the firm side, but comfortable none the less. This hotel is located in what appears to be a very busy metropolitan area surrounded by various restaurants and shops. This was great because we were able to easily shop for final needed souvenirs prior to returning to the US.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My recent stay here was for 3 nights. Booked by a travel agency to meet a certain price point for a school trip, I think it was ok. The beds, however, were not. They were rock hard! The shower curtain was mildewed. I asked them to change it my first night there but it never got changed. Thank goodness I travel with small cans of Lysol. The rest of the room was fine. We were able to keep it cool with the air conditioner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BKSQRD
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The room and furnishings are old. TV is small and fridge is locked. You'll need to put in a deposit to have it unlocked! Breakfast is acceptable. No wifi in room but available in breakfast cafe and lobby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank apsara16
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Only stayed in this hotel for 4 nights whilst in Beijing and was really pleased with the experience.

Location to tourist sites is brilliant -
10-15 minutes from tiananmen square & the forbidden city
45 minutes from the summer palace
80-90 minutes from the Great Wall

Extremely impressive hotel both inside and outside, staff were very helpful (I did manage to lose my hotel key card one day and they sorted it out immediately for me)

The room was definitely a huge plus to my Beijing experience. They upgraded my room free of charge when I checked in (no idea why but I didn't want to ask - I just took it).
I walked into my mini suite and was amazed at the size of the bed - i was told it was an emperor king bed which was 7 feet long by 8.5 feet wide - I have never seen a bed this big in a hotel before.

The bathroom alone was bigger than a few hotel rooms I've stayed in - there was a gigantic bathtub, not one - not two but THREE showers ! His & hers bathroom sinks, the list of luxuries could go on and on.

Food in this hotel was top notch besides the day we left. As we had to leave by 5am we were promised a food box for breakfast as the breakfast buffet didn't open until 6am.
Upon opening the box the sight was not appealing, there was 1 sandwich (1 slice of thin pork with no butter and the bread was really dry). A room temperature carton of orange juice, a pear that looked like it was about melt (was sticky and very soft to the touch), 1 biscuit and a sachet of sauerkraut. We all went hungry that morning.

This was my last hotel stop on my tour of China and as I was running low on clean clothes I decided to take advantage of the in house laundry service but was horrified by the prices that they charged. I only managed to get a few basic things washed and dried but it did end up costing me £14 for 3 tshirts - I didn't opt for their pressing service for 40% extra. They also wanted £3 per pair of socks to be washed ! Did consider doing them in the bathroom sink myself.
But to be honest this is a luxury hotel after all who did upgrade me for free so no complaints.

Overall I really enjoyed my short time here and would be happy to return again in the future.

9/10

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lloyd T
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The only thing grand about this hotel is its lobby.
Stayed here February, 2013 room was old and dirty, check in process was slow 30 min to be exact.
Beds were rock hard, I would of slept on the floor, but saw creatures invading the floor. Bathroom was dirty, felt like I was in a cheap hookers motel in the ghetto.

Make sure you wake up super early if you like traditional Chinese breakfast. During my 4 night stay there every morning I had to fight with mainlanders who does not queue. Not only that, they take the entire plate back to their table. But your in luck if you like western food, as they leave those food alone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Il0verice
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Chang An Grand Hotel Beijing last week for 4 nights then another 2 nights. We were there on a tour so had no choice really. The room itself was spacious, a huge, hard bed, air con took some adjustment to get it just right but the windows do open, bath, all the toiletries, kettle, no coffee, no sugar, no milk only tea. Safety deposit box in the wardrobe.There was a small bar fridge as well. 2 small bottles of water provided each day. TV - 2 English speaking channels only. Ask for a pillow top for the mattress, the bed was much better with that. The buffet breakfast was included, and catered for everyone, although it took some time for them to replenish the food so leave a bit of time for breakfast, very nice banana bread. We were able to leave our luggage while we were away for one night for about A$2. Checked out the pool but it was indoors and too hot while we were there and we didn't have time either. Wifi was available in the big foyer area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank suelovesholidays
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Chang An Grand Hotel has the potential to be a grand hotel but falls a little short in some departments. We stayed with a group and most found it lacking is some aspects.
The entrance/foyer is impressive but the service at the front desk is slightly diffident.
The rooms are spacious and well furnished (if you like a hard bed) but attention to detail is lacking. For example the fridge was locked in some rooms, non existent in others and warm in others. The air con was dicey but we opened a window so that was OK.
Buffet breakfast could be good if you were early but if you were later many of the cloches were empty. Juice was hit and miss and tea and coffee was not great.
The dining room was OK and the in-house Chinese very good. Down the road to the right on the corner is a great outdoor eating place where we had a wonderful meal with a very cold beer (something of a rarity in China)

Room Tip: If the air con doesn't work, open a window. Night breezes keep the room cool and the traffic noi...