“It was ok, but I was not impressed with my stay here.”
Review of Jade Palace Hotel

Jade Palace Hotel
Ranked #1,721 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed in room 747 from May 20-25, 2014 with my wife and two young kids (ages 4 and 6). I have stayed in a lot of different hotels in the USA, Hong Kong and Shenzhen (China), this this hotel was definitely sub-par compared to the ones I have stayed at. Note that I cannot give an overall rating over the hotels all over China, but just in my sample size (which I believe is of an "adequate" size). While the location seems pretty convenient near the city center and near the two more prestigious (and famous) universities in China, the first thing an english speaking visitor will notice is that of the few employees that do speak a few words of english, you are not certain if they understand you. Like I mentioned, I was traveling with my family so it would be customary( at least in the US and probably other countries/hotels)to have four towels in the bathroom. Well, there were two bath towels in the bathroom -- ok -- no problem...we'll just call down and ask for two more. They figure out pretty quickly that I don't speak enough mandarin so they connect me with someone who does speak english and I politely ask them for two more towels. They reply in the affirmative (or what sounded like a confirmation of my request); an hour passes and still no towels. My wife does the same thing and has the same response and extrapolated understanding that two towels are own their way -- still nothing. The next day, we ask our guides to speak with the front desk to ask for two more towels. I didn't completely follow the conversation in Mndarin, but by the looks on their faces and the length of the conversation, it seemed to me that they were annoyed by the request and questioned our need for two more towels. They finally acknowledged the request and two more towels were waiting for us later that day when we returned to the room.
The air conditioning was also questionable. We like to sleep with the ambient temperature relatively cool (around 68 F) and it was hot outside and in the hallway outside the room. We turned the thermostat down but the room never really got cooler - we heard the fan and could see that the thermostat controlled the fan (you could hear it turn off and on when you flipped the switch) but the temperature never seemed to change (there was no thermometer there, just a dial to set so I could not track to see if it was even slightly cooler). We mentioned this to our guides ( I didn't see the reactions this time), but later, the room was cooler -- in fact a bit too cool now, but turning the thermostat up did not increase the temperature -- we put on jackets.
The buffet is relatively expensive. It is true that they have a reasonably "large" selection of food, including muslim (non pork), non-muslim, and oriental type food as well as a waffle station and omlet station (not quite the same as you find in the USA - I got it once but not again). They also have cold water (not sure if the ice is made from tap, or if the water is from the tap so beware!) as well as grapefruit, and orange juice, coffee and tea (no decaf that I could see). We went there several times because there was not (as far as I know) any recommended breakfast places nearby the hotel. There were places like fruit stands and perhaps some restaurants near the Walmart (easy walk about 1-2 blocks away) but I didn't check these out.
There are several power outlets that are on top of the desk table to charge your electronics and while the Wifi is free, you are told that the router you should use is named your room number with no password. Why they need to have so many (virtual?) routers is not known to me (perhaps for surveillance purposes?) - but so many sites (like facebook, google+, university websites, etc) were blocked that it didn't seem to be worth it. Cnn.com and various other news sites did work so I know that you could get some data transmission but it was very annoyingly limited. Somehow, my VPN connection could not be established (where it worked just fine in Kunming (in south west china)) so perhaps a lot of these sites are blocked due to political sensitivity? I don't know. The beds are VERY firm, which doesn't bother me, but as far as I have experienced, I believe ALL hotel beds in Asia are very firm so if you like a pillowtop, you're out of luck. The tap water out of the sink is labeled as "non-directable", which I believe is supposed to indicate that it should not be consumed. My son accidentally drank a small amount and within 24 hours had cramps and a case of diarrhea. The rest of us various GI ailments ranging from mild discomfort to ejection out both ends - which, after some consideration of the other members of our traveling party and their backgrounds, was likely due to the "bad" water from the tap/shower. I would recommend brushing your teeth with bottled water (which, btw, is provided with the room as two small bottles -- you may want to procure your own larger bottles).
We did check out the pool and gym during our stay - we did not use but took a careful look at these facilities. The pool is an indoor 25 m pool with lanes and a gradual incline -- I was told that it starts at > 1.0 m so it is perhaps not young kid friendly and you need to provide your own showercap or purchase one for about 60 RMB at the pool entrance. The gym was nicely stocked with 6-10 multi-mode machines as well as free weights and several treadmills and there was no one there when we visited at about 8:45 am, so I am not sure how busy it gets.
In summary - I would probably not stay here again, but this was supposed to be one of the nicer hotels in the area (based on recommendations from a local resident), they are not world class as far as language qualifications, and the buffet could use some work with outside consultants. they do have a pretty nice and large shark tank with about 6 small sharks (~1m long?) and the kids liked to watch them swim around but the food and drink is somewhat expensive and not particularly satisfying. The hotel is otherwise reasonably clean and in good shape. If I had a do over, I would probably look at the intercontinental Beijing in the financial district.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank flu

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel is located near all technology centers and that is the best part.
Non-Chinese speakers may have difficulty. Very few people seem to speak any English.
Breakfast is OK.
All facilities are average.

Room Tip: Many floors have strong smoke smell.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jain49
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed in Jade Palace numerous times over the last 10 years because of its proximity to various institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Over this period, its service and ambience have deteriorated. During my last trip even though I got the same room as in December but I was overcharged. The management claimed that in Dec, i was given a courtesy upgrade, but they never told me that this time in March, I was not getting it and I would have to pay 20% more. Further, the heat was on and when the room got very hot, there was no way to turn the heat off other than keeping the window open thus letting polluted air come into the room.
Hardly any one understands english. The breakfast used to be good but not any more. The sauna and jacuzzi are not turned on until late afternoon. Overall an avoid. Not worth US 100 I have paying. Got to find a better place near by.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank worldtraveler1102
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is a 5 star Beijing hotel which has the quality you expect. Rooms are large and comfortable with good daily housekeeping service. You get conveniently two bottles of water daily and all complementary tea and coffee are resupplied daily.
The breakfast is excellent featuring Chinese and Western options. Chinese breakfast has both rice porridge and wonton noodles and vegetables. The hotel is equipped with a fitness room, which opens till 2200. There is also a swimming pool. In terms of restaurants, there is a cafe in the lobby and a decent Chinese restaurant on the second floor offering a variety of regional dishes at good prices. Also on offer are Japanese and Korean Restaurants.
Hotel is conveniently located 2 blocks from Beijing Metro. (Turn right after exiting the hotel to reach metro in a 5 min walk). Next to the metro is gigantic Walmart that has two huge impressive floors of food section. Anything u need in life can be found. It dwarfs an American Costco.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Oxon93
Reviewed 11 October 2013

It is a good hotel with comfortable rooms and service, somewhat commercial and not very personal or cozy. It is in a good location, but not particularly appealing for tourism. All in all, I recommend it if you get a good price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NNL1
Reviewed 29 September 2013

When I arrived at this hotel, everything was just okay. Room check in run smoothly, room and the complimentary breakfast was nice as well. Unfortunately, we had a very hard time whenever we call for room service, ask some questions from the helpdesk or any kind of communication with the hotel staff. They don't speak english and they even can't understand whatever you're saying, even worse, they just hang up once they heard you speak in english. That's rude! Well, it seemed like this place is just a place only to sleep. Didn't feel like a guest at all.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank izyanliana84
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at this Hotel while on a Nexus holiday trip. The Hotel is very large. It has clean, comfortable, large rooms; however be prepared for very firm mattresses. Despite that I would stay at this hotel again. It is a considerable distance from the centre of Beijing, and you will need public transport or a taxi to get there. The only negative thing about this hotel is that some of the staff are unfriendly and rude. For example, I took my 3 year old daughter to the Hotel pool. I grabbed a flotation device for my daughter, from near the lifeguard. He demanded 10 yuan from me to use the flotation device. I stood up to him and refused to pay it, and he backed down. On another occcasion I was using the hotel gym, and the staff member on duty there tried to kick me out of the gym, 15 minutes before it was due to close for the night. The breakfast menu here is quite good, with a good range of food types.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family