“a very fun experience”

Ranked #1,912 of 6,450 Hotels in Beijing
tokyo
“a very fun experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

We spent six nights at the red capital residence during the olympics. Its not a hotel without warts, but for someone looking for something very different from an international hotel I think it rocks. To be honest I generally stay in the four seasons when I go on holiday and the red capital is a far cry from the perfect fit and finish of such a place, but if you want to get into the local chinese scene it really works. I stayed with my wife and teenage son and the rooms barely work for three. We spent two nights in one of the concubine suites, where adding an extra bed means almost no room to stand. The last four were better, in the Mao suite, but the rooms work best for couples or for only very small kids. The staff was one of the best parts of the place. Willing to help with all kinds of things, but again rather than the polish of a front desk person at the Ritz you get a much more local feel. I really enjoyed chatting with other guests over breakfast in the morning around the tiny courtyard at the center of the hotel. The location on a small local street allows you to get a great view of local life.

• Liked — real local feel
  • Disliked — tiny rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank akamatsu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2007

This place astounded me! This is certainly not the Holiday Inn. I've stayed in another "authentic" courtyard hotel but this was a different level of "authentic" altogether. We had one of the Concubine rooms - it was so dimly lit I could barely make out the contents of my suitcase, the bed was hard and the furnishings dark and heavy - but I loved it. You must do this for one night at least.

Perhaps it was the off-season because we seemed to be the only people there. The famous bomb shelter looked like it had been abandoned. Late at night we enjoyed a cocktail in the candle-lit courtyard, and breakfast the next morning was also served there. The staff were lovely, very attentive, and couldn't do enough for us.

The West Concubine room featured a huge canopied bed draped with gauzy gold curtains. As the bed took up most of the room you couldn't do much else but spend the time in bed; though there was a great selection of old books and travel guides just in case.

The stone-lined bathroom was atmospheric but didn't have enough flat surface to put two people's toilet bags and the shower leaked and flooded the floor - something that also happened at the Red Capital Ranch where the bathrooms are similar. It didn't really inconvenience us, just a quirk.

Outside in the street there's very good food available from the local shops and street vendors - it's extremely cheap and very tasty - also a convenience-type store selling bottled water if you need more. Don't worry about not speaking Mandarin, you can get by pretty well using sign language and smiles.

The hotel was nearly empty - almost musty inside - and is not for travellers who want convenience and over-soft comfort. But for a great and memorable Beijing experience you couldn't get much better than this.

• Liked — HEAPS of character
  • Disliked — The room needed one good light for reading.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
4 Thank Ali M
Summit County, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2007

We had a wonderful experience at the Red Capital Residence, spending a total of seven days in mid-June and using it as a base from which to travel to the Wall (Red Capital Ranch) and to Lhasa, Tibet (House of Shambhala).

The Residence is unique in two respects. The first is its location: a working hutong (Dongsi), perhaps 1.5 miles northeast of the Forbidden City (north end). One senses how all of urban China once lived, and how the lower working class in Beijing still lives. The neighborhood was alive all day, but especially in the evening when seemingly all residents were on the street, whether eating dinner, playing games or watching TV, selling wares or simply watching the world go by. As a side note, we felt very safe walking this hutong, including at night; besides, there is a police station only one block from the Residence.

The second unique aspect is the Residence’s design. Unlike most hotels, contained in massive, modern 20-30 story buildings, the Residence is contained in a traditional Beijing courtyard. It is large enough to contain five rooms, plus another for a reception/sitting area, all of which are built around an open courtyard. The architectural style is traditional nobility, the same design found in the mansions now open as museums. The furniture and wall furnishings are taken from the 1950’s era, which we enjoyed. As one prior reviewer aptly noted, one is staying in a place of Beijing’s history.

The Residence has several additional strengths. One is the open courtyard, shaded by a large poplar, which shields a surprisingly amount of noise generated from the neighborhood. It is a great place to have breakfast in the morning or a drink after a long day in the city. (Obviously, the experience would be different during inclement weather.)

A second strength is the staff. Though young, they were consistently courteous and always willing to assist (e.g., make reservations, provide directions). During the important times of the day, the Residence is staffed with persons whose English skills range from good to excellent. We strongly recommend use of the Residence’s airport pickup service, as it sends an English-speaking staff to accompany the non-English driver, making for a very pleasant and easy trip.

In response to some earlier reviews, our rooms were clean; our beds were not short (I’m 6’2”) and were very comfortable; our linen was not stained; our towels were fine; our hot water was fine; and there was no sewage smell.

The Residence is not inexpensive. Whether it is a good value depends upon one’s expectations. If one is looking for a 4-5 star room in Beijing (traditional EU/U.S. standards), the Residence is probably not for you. If, however, one is looking for an experience, the Residence is perfect choice. For us, it was a memory that will last a lifetime.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jeff07006
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2007

The residence looked great on the website but the actual place was such a disappointment. The courtyard is very small that I felt claustophobic. The room is dark and cramped with stuff. For the price of over US$200 for a double room, it is definitely not value for money, in fact it was a rip-off. US$80 would be about right for a place like this, compared to what else are available in Beijing. I booked two nights and left after one. I am sure there are better siheyuan hotels around that provide better experience that this one.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank Artemishongkong

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

HK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2007

After reading some fabulous reviews about the Red Capital, we booked a long weekend with another couple last year.
Each couple had a concubine room.
Whilst the staff were all extremely helpful and nice, this was totally offset by the old, smelley towels that didn't even dry you as they weren't made of cotton, the stained bed linen that appeared not to have been changed, the dust everywhere, the lack of any storage for clothes, the lights that didn't work in the rooms, the seawage smell in the bathroom and to top everything off, the lack of hot water, which merely dribbled out - not good when it is freezing outside.
As for the bunker - it was so mouldy that even the staff said drinks weren't served down there as the air quality was so bad.
I imagine that the place was once lovely but it looks like the owner is now just taking advantage of the global reviews and has not kept the place clean etc. This also goes for the restaurant - we sat in a room where the paint was peeling off the walls, mould growing, and the chairs nearly collapsed when you sat on them.
We were all so disaapointed with the entire experience - the staff must have realised it as we only stayed for one night - they booked us into a 4-star hotel the following afternoon. A real shame because it could be so quaint.

• Liked — The rickshaw ride to the restarunt
  • Disliked — dirtiness and lack of care
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends
5 Thank IntrepidtravelerHk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2006

I read the review from Texas and very much disagree. I stay at the Red Capital Residence whenever I travel to Beijing because I so much appreciate that someone has finally preserved a piece of Beijing's history in this courtyard boutique hotel. True, the rooms are small, but it's a real Chinese courtyard and the furniture is all historical as well (chairs/beds, etc. actually used by Mao, Zhou En Lai, etc.). Colleagues and I have had fantastic parties, taking over all five rooms and enjoying drinks under moonlight in our own private Chinese courtyard! Complimentary breakfasts, fresh and light (eggs, fresh yogurt, banana bread, endless coffee or fragrant teas, etc.) are also served outdoors in the tiny Courtyard. Service is excellent and attentive (although can be a bit noisy in such a small space but one word to please be more quiet did the trick)! I appreciated that the inn was not that easy to find...after all it's in one of Beijing's last real preserved neighborhoods...and it's only a rickshaw ride away from the Red Capital Restaurant which is simply excellent (and room service is available too!). No, this is not a hotel for business travellers or 5-star modern hip hotel lovers; this is a tiny inn, much like a Ryokan in Japan, where we are meant to sit still and appreciate a time before modernity, when Mandarins lived in courtyards in China...and we can be a part of this historic feeling, even if only for an evening or two at a time!

Stayed September 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2006

I returned from China five weeks ago and have just seen the reviews regarding the Red Residence in Beijing. It is appropriate that there be a reality check on this debate, at least according to the other four reviews. Firstly, I travel for the experience. I realise others don't - they want luxury replicated wherever they go. They want a Hyatt at every corner and get angry when its not there. They get really angry when they think they have paid for that luxury and they don't get receive it. I went to Beijing with my wife and two children - a five year old and a two year old. I had read about the Red Residence and thought it might provide the experience that I like when I travel. (in fact, it has just got another positive review from the lates Qantas inflight magazine) I travel so much for business I get very tired with the usual international standard hotels. I now try and put a bit of work into finding other hotels that offer that little difference that will make my trip that little bit special. Without a doubt the Red Residence has it! The spirit of the hotel is amazing. Its location is close to everything but yes, it is in a maze of back streets (hutongs). This is part of its attraction! Get used to the location and take a sense of achievement in showing taxi drivers how to get there! I would recommend going for a walk during the late afternoon or early morning and listen to the sounds of a city going to bed or getting up! I was even invited into a home by an unknown citizen. My children loved the hotel. Even the rollaway bed that you will read about on another review was comfortable - according to my five year old. The breakfast each morning is one of the best we have had anywhere. The choice was not great but so what? The assistance by the staff is amazing and the decor incredible. Go down and have a drink in the bombshelter and ask the staff to put a chinese opera DVD on for you. Have a late night drink and get into the spirit of the place. As for the size of the beds, well, I'm just over six foot and I don't remember being squashed. Living in such an interesting residential area is also one of its attractions. We ate at the tiny restaurants up and down the street without a problem and the kids played with chinese children in the street. Our towels were fine - if you were worried you should have asked for some others. There was no smell of sewerage. We raised the issue of the shower being tepid one morning and it was fixed by our return that night. I also stayed on the top floor of the Hyatt Shanghai a few days later. That was pricy too but the memory of the Red Residence will last much longer than the memory of almost any other hotel. Do not go to the Red Residence if you want the sort of hotel you get in Denver or Newport News. Go there for the experience and the memories. As Robert Louis Stevenson said: "I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." We enjoyed it so much that we extended our stay from 4 to 6 nights - and loved every minute.

• Stayed December 2005, travelled on business