“Tourist Trap”

Slik Street & Pearl Market (Xiushui)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$70.00*
and up
Beijing Badaling Great Wall of China Day Trip
Ranked #31 of 309 Shopping in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: In addition to a wide variety of silk products, this popular market offers cashmere garments, leather goods, shoes, watches and traditional handicrafts.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This used to be an interesting place to visit, but not anymore. Things are more expensive now and the qualities of them are questionable. Unless there are things that you can not find in where you come from, there is really no need to buy them here.

4  Thank Waverunner2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)
All reviews
in 102 reviews
"souvenirs"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Probably the best shopping for gifts, purses, clothes, jewelry, prescription glasses etc..
Yes I really did say prescription glasses could be filled.
We DID read that if you enter the stall to be prepared to buy, and yes, we were prepared to negotiate the price. No one in our shopping group was accosted by the sales people, but they are a bit more aggressive in wanting to make a sale than they were anywhere else in our multi-city travels.
Make sure you know how to test for real or fake in pearls, jade and silk and you will do well.
There are four floors of shopping along with a floor dedicated to food, we found excellent hot pot on the top floor for dinner.
I wish we had done all our shopping there, best prices.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Our guide had told us to be careful before we spend here. The quality of most products were is of questionable and the integrity of brands is 0. look alike brand of mount blanc pen, or watches or T shirts etc. The price discounting is huge. We were told of a t shirt to buy at 500 rmb but we finally bought it for 80 rmb,only to discovered that my other friend bought it for for 50 yuan. Crazy bargaining . Atlast we thought it is not a place for buying stuff for gifting our real loved ones as once it is given and it wears off soon, our credibility will be at stake. So finally we bought small items to be given to our driver or maids or some junior staff and such.Not a place for buying for decent people. Not sure if any stuff would last how long. The guide had warned us .So we were out sooner than expected. We thought we will only do some souvenier shopping and call of the day.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I visited Silk Market in Year 2010 before renovation, that time price was much cheaper. According to one of the sales girl, the authority have control the quality of the products that they sale, that's why the quality is better but more pricy.

This is the nice place for shopping because is indoor and you can variety of products here, prepare for whole day shopping. One thing must be careful is products here most of them are fake branded products, so quality looks like real but they are not. In the Year 2010, I bought 2 purses, the quality look good and have leather smell, the sale person even shown me the leather can't burn by fire. We bargained and I bought them at very good price, I used that less than a year, one of them the leather started peel off.

This trip I decided not to buy any leather products (bags or shoes) or electronic items here, I couldn't trust them. I bought clothes, souvenirs, jacket, luggage bag that I feel safer. I suggest don't buy expensive products here, if the item not lasting you won't feel the pain.

Overall the sales person here are nice, if you don't buy is ok. If you really interested on that particular item only start bargain, if they able to give you the price that you are wanted then you have to buy. They won't be happy if they agreed the price and you say "No" to them. The price various in different stalls, bargain to the price that you feel worthy, usually you can cut down 40 - 60%, depends on how high is the open price.

If you really want to buy the real leather products, according to one of the sale person there are few shops on 5th floor that selling the real leather. I visited the shops and the price is very high, but at the end I didn't buy any of them because I'm not sure how true to be true, you may have a look if you are interested in leather products.