Slik Street & Pearl Market (Xiushui)
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Beijing Badaling Great Wall of China Day Trip
Ranked #34 of 309 Shopping in Beijing
More attraction details
Owner description: In addition to a wide variety of silk products, this popular market offers cashmere garments, leather goods, shoes, watches and traditional handicrafts.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This market was very clean & easy to navigate. The people were not too aggressive. If you want to buy, be prepared to bargain. I find this hard, the rest of the family loved the challenge. We went for copy or fake items. They have quite different levels of quality, so they may have to go get the item you want if you have pictures.

All reviews
"foot massage"
in 75 reviews
in 97 reviews

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went to the silk market a couple times during my visit to Beijing. They have absolutely anything you can think of here. Be prepared for a lot of designer knockoffs, though...I got some very good bargains here BUT it took a lot of time and patience. Also, be prepared to walk away!! The vendors will quote you very high, unrealistic prices. They expect you to negotiate, and you should! I got some very nice silk scarves here as well as some nice looking pearls and jade earrings...they may be fake, but they look awesome. I would think only a trained eye would know they were not real.

My only disappointment with this market were the tailors here. I ended up getting a bespoke suit along with some of my friends. The tailoring was just average. I don't know if this was because I am tall -- especially for Asian standards -- or if they were just rushed, or if they just suck as tailors! Anyway, my stuff did not really turn out. The fabric is great and the lines are nice, but it just does not really fit well. I will have to have it all redone here.

If you are looking for custom tailoring, go with someone who has been recommended to you, and don't press your luck with any old vendor here.

If you want to see the whole place, plan for at least 2 to 3 hours!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had read great things about this market. But in reality nothing special. Do bargain or else just look.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

First thing that one needs to remember is, this Silk Market does sell fake items, especially electronic and electrical goods. Most of the silk items are fake as well and I was warned by my guide before stepping out of the coach about the things that could be found here. One should have lots of time in hand to truly explore this place and engage in hard bargaining. As for me, I simply loved the place, with hundreds of shops, stylish garments all around and little shops along the stairs selling paintings and little souvenirs that can easily be carried home (which I did) without the customs holding me back. Even if you do not buy anything, just widow shopping could be a fun experience too in here.

There are several floors, and the top floors sell beautiful quilts, bedsheets and covers, table and bed linen and pretty silk garments. They are indeed highly priced but if one is keen to get something really beautiful, bargaining is absolutely necessary. There are other shops selling souvenirs of different kinds, like bangles, traditional looking porcelain magnets, bookmarks, ashtrays, lighters, wall hanging and much much more. These are affordable and can be easily brought back to India.

Electronic goods are not trustworthy and so I stayed away from them. One of the shops I truly loved was Xiu Shui Art Tea Shop where Mr. Yang Li Xi did amazing finger paintings, which can be bought after much bargaining. This product at least was not fake as he did the painting right before me.

The ground floor mainly has garment shops and shops for kids, where one can get fashionable clothes and other items of personal use.The people at the shops were well behaved although some of them grew impatient when customers tried to bargain.

I liked the shopping experience and would love to go back for more stuffs in the future!

1  Thank debolina_banerjee
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Silk Market was my first bargaining experience when I visited China. I was aware that I needed to bargain, but I had no idea how much I would actually have to bargain to get a fair price. The people there were generally nice, but they will tell you anything to get as much of your money as possible. So as a general rule of thumb, you could probably stand to pay 1/3 of what they initially asked and you still may have paid too much. I saw a tea set that I like and was told 300 RMB for the tea set, after some haggling and telling the lady I saw it somewhere cheaper (which I did in Guangzhou) I got the tea set for 50 RMB. As I said in my review of the Pearl Market, most if not all of these items are mass produced so you can get them for much less that what you would expect to pay at home.

Its a fun experience and a great place to go for a very vast selection of souvenirs. However, if you have Guangzhou or Tianjin in your itinerary you may want to wait to purchase some if not all of your souvenirs. The starting prices in those cities are way lower than in Beijing.

1  Thank ShalatrvlDRMS