“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #16 of 6,449 Hotels in Beijing
Lund, Sweden
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

An excellent hotel in beijing. The breakfast alone is worth the stay. The hotel is new, clean and very nicely located in beijing. The room is very modern and with nice view. The hotel is very modern and the standard of the rooms reflects this; ipod for music, iphone charger, motorized blinds etc. The bar is very nice and worth a visit. There is a mall right next to the hotel for shopping and groceries.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ericel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

UK based Quintessential Travel (http://quintessentialtravel.co.uk/) planned a bespoke two week holiday for my wife, daughter and myself starting in Beijing in June this year. Not having been to China before we were slightly apprehensive not knowing what to expect. The first hotel that we were booked into was the Swire Hotels Group ‘East’. Quintessential Travel recommended that we upgrade to the 24th executive floor. This was one was one of the best pieces of advice we were given.

I work on the design of international hotels for a living and I can honestly say that this is one of the best boutique business hotels that I have stayed in. The attention to detail and level of service was excellent

The Upstairs Manager Angeline Tng, her colleague Alice (and others whose names I didn’t catch) combined with Director of Guest Experience Summer Xiong made an extremely professional team who really looked after us. Never intrusive and always willing to help or give sound practical advice with regard to getting the most out of the visit even down to the best way to exchange money. I think because they are geared to dealing with business people on short trips who would want to make best use of their short time in Beijing their advice on where to go and what to do was extremely helpful.

I had read that the hotel is not in the centre of the city which is true, however, the taxis are very cheap and if you take a card from reception explaining how to get to the hotel and note on it that the hotel is part of the INDIGO retail mall (all modern brands accounted for) you shouldn't have any problems.

The best English buffet breakfast that we had on our whole trip was here. Hot food and great presentation not a pale imitation of what you would get in the UK in fact it was better than some of the English breakfasts I have eaten in the UK. If you want comfort in the form of well-appointed rooms, a hot powerful shower, comfortable beds (these were the only truly comfortable soft mattress beds that we slept on in China) good WIFI, room service and spoken English this is the place. A complete no brainer. My recommendation to Quintessential Travel has been to book any of my work colleagues into this hotel if on business or on holiday in Beijing.

The health spa is stylish and a good fit for the size of the hotel. We used it twice just to take the edge off the day and help relax before the evening meal. Add to this a pre-dinner drink with an interesting view. A well-presented complimentary food offer of light snacks available in the executive lounge and an informative chat and exchange of views with the Upstairs staff and you had the making of a perfect day. I know this sounds too good to be true but we did have a really nice time.

For the next part of our trip we were booked on an overnight train from Beijing to Xian. As the train was not leaving until the evening Angeline kindly extended our hotel checkout at ‘East’ to 3.00pm and then arranged for us to leave our cases with the concierge at their sister hotel the’ Opposite House’ in the centre of Beijing which is closer to the rail station. Curious from a professional perspective about the hotel, a very kind concierge gave us a tour of the hotel rooms. If you want tranquillity and beautiful, clean, minimal design, this is the place.

A regret was that we had not had the opportunity to have Peking duck in Peking so the East hotel staff booked us into the Jing Yaa Tang restaurant of ‘The Opposite House’ before we left. The plan was to have the duck before boarding the sleeper train. The Maitre'd (a charming individual) advised us on what should accompany the duck. The restaurant staff were very pleasant, good humoured and helpful too. Our only problem (as we found for most of the trip) was that we ran out of time. However, by the time we had retrieved our cases we discovered that a takeaway of the remaining food had been packaged by the staff to take with us on the next leg of our journey. With regard to the food, try the baby plum tomatoes soaked in plum juice if you have a sweet tooth.

No hesitation in recommending either of these hotels.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the EAST Beijing for 4 nights. On our first night, we didn't get in until about 3am in the morning so we were exhausted for a good nights rest. Many things about this hotel from design, level of service to cleanliness were lacking:

- Since we hadn't pressed the do not disturb button, we were woken up repeatedly by housekeeping every half hour knocking and ringing our doorbell. We were surprised how frequent housekeeping kept returning to see if they could clean our room. It was extremely annoying and the following nights we made sure to keep the do not disturb sign on.

- We had made sure both our phones were plugged in before passing out for the night. However, we woke up to find both of our phones were dead. Turns out the electric socket / USB plug next to the bed was out of service so both phones drained completely of battery while we slept. We had to call for a handyman to come fix it then wait for our phones to charge up before we could do anything.

- The only mirrors in the room are located inside the bathroom. Which meant I could only blow dry my hair and do my makeup in the bathroom. There are no plugs available for UK or USA plugs in the bathroom (yet the room has these) so I had to ask reception for a special adapter to plug into the shaver sockets in order to use my own blow dryer / hair straightener.

- When we went to use the pool, the attendants didn't bother giving us towels after we signed in. We entered the pool area thinking there would be towels inside. When none were found we had to go back outside to ask the attendants for some. We wanted two towels each, one to place over the long chairs and one to dry our bodies with. When we asked the attendants for 4 towels, they didn't want to give them to us, insisting we only need 2. After a long explanation of why we wanted 4 towels, then they gave an extra 2 towels to us. It was extremely frustrating and irritating.

- On our first night, I had fallen asleep without washing my face and some lipstick and mascara smeared on the white pillows cases. After housekeeping "cleaned" our room, we found for the next two consecutive days that our sheets were never changed. On the 3rd day, I could no longer stand it and asked housekeeping to change all of our sheets. We had to call reception 3 times and wait 45 minutes before someone came to change our sheets. The ironing board and iron which we used on our first day was also never placed back inside the wardrobe. I had to ask housekeeping to put it back after they changed the sheets.

- We had a lot of trouble getting taxi drivers to take us back to the hotel. Majority had never heard of the East hotel and many times we had to resort to calling the hotel so they could explain directions to the driver

- I had a $1000HKD bill I wanted to exchange with the front desk. There was a very small ding the size of a sesame seed on the paper bill and front desk refused the bill, asking us to get money from an ATM machine inside the adjacent mall instead.

Overall, we felt the level of service was majorly lacking and despite this being a relatively new hotel, many things are left to be desired.

We will certainly not be returning to the East Beijing next time we visit BJ.

• Stayed June 2014
Prague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

One of the best hotels in Beijing. The staff is phenomenal, friendly, helpful in every respect and perfectly fluent in English. The rooms are 5 stars and the breakfast buffet out of this world. I got upgraded to the executive floor which has its own executive lounge with complimentary drinks and snacks as well as breakfast in a quiet atmosphere. This hotel is amazing! Highly recommended.
Michael, Hong Kong

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here with my wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary, from the moment we arrived we were treated with friendly, courteous service. The hotel is new and modern with a huge lobby and stylish interiors. The rooms are spacious with floor to celing windows offering great views of Beijing. The choice of food and quality in the restaurants is amazing which caters for all tastes. The hotel also has a swimming pool, gym and a very trendy bar called Xian on the ground floor. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that enjoys comfort and great service.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a corner room for great views of the city and a huge bath tub!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

East hotel was convenient to my companies offices, convenient to a modern shopping mall with a good range of restaurants, and on the correct side of Beijing making airport travel convenient. This is really a modern business hotel with a mildly quirky style. The correct amenities were available in the room, or in the hotel, or the shopping mall, but they were not all obvious, with some cupboards & drawers not always detectable. I stayed for 10 days & it took a day or two to discover my minibar & a drawer with a bunch of leads to connect electronic devices to the rooms flat screen TV.
I am expecting to stay again in August, so I am happy with the place. I did use the swimming pool, & all restaurants, plus a bunch of restaurants & shops & a supermkt in the adjacent mall.
The view from my room on the 23rd floor was also nice. I loved the spacious shower!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had a meeting here today and the facility is fantastic. From the cafe to the bar, to the restaurants, to the amazing cronuts, East has it all.
If you come to Beijing you must look at staying here.
The area is developing and they will be in the best spot on Beijing in the coming years.
Food is great but you would expect that from an Aussie

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business