“Absolutely Legendary!”

Waldorf Astoria Beijing
Ranked #8 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Behind the shiny bronze facade, this 176 room hotel located in the most prime location near Tiananmen and the Forbidden City will completely revolutionize what you think about service in China -- forget Communist, think Exceptional!

The decor is Art Deco chic, the food is divine especially the Chinese food of HK chef Menex Cheung at Zhijin Mansion -- ask for some his homemade XO sauce to put on everything, especially the Wagyu beef and stewed eggplant. Also the fried cod in coconut milk, which sizzles in the stone bowl and tastes like a bit of Thailand. Maybe skip the poached bullfrog although you're in China so perhaps that's part of the adventure. He's really talented so I bet that tastes good too.

Also incredibly skilled are the spa therapists, in the Zen calm 7 room spa. Wynton Zhai gave me possibly the best massage of my life, focusing along the body's meridians, according to Chinese traditional medicine but also incorporating Aromatherapy Associates oils which smelled divine.

My personal concierge Charlie emailed prior to my arrival. He speaks English like a native, organized everything I needed and gave me an excellent tour of the surrounding neighborhood alleys called hutongs.

Save room for the hotel's unique red velvet cake made with raspberries, which comes in bite size for those who just want a taste, although you'll probably end up ordering the full cake too. I did.

Already plotting my return.....!

Room Tip: Book a room over the old style Chinese courtyard houses for a sense of being in Beijing. From here y...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PoppyHopper
Marlene P, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Good afternoon PoppyHopper,
The team and I were delighted to read your review. We hope you have the opportunity to return to Beijing and our downtown Mansion. Our team including Charlie, Menex and Wynton would be delighted to provide you with some warm Beijing hospitality!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The newest international Waldorf Astoria opened in Beijing offering all the luxury and unequaled service one comes to expect from the Waldorf. The Waldorf Astoria Beijing offers a timeless experience in the heart of Wangfujing. It is ideally located near shopping and not far from the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.

Accommodations are elegant, spacious and sumptuously decorated with some featuring a courtyard view and furnished terraces. Beds are dressed with fine linens and a selection of pillows. Rooms feature an expanded work area, complimentary WiFi, an alarm clock with CD and MP3 player, a bedside tablet replaces the old-style informational book, plus there are coffee and tea facilities. All accommodations have a lavish marble bathroom with twin vanities, a soaking tub with a TV, a rainforest shower and exquisite amenities.

Experience the Waldorf’s fabulous leisure facilities including an inviting heated indoor swimming pool, a contemporary fitness center and a tranquil, a luxury spa offering signature therapies that blend traditional Chinese philosophies with innovative techniques to deliver treatments that beautify, refine and revive. Gastronomes will be impressed with the two lavish restaurants: the stylish Brasserie 1893 and elegant Zijin Mansion. The sophisticated Peacock Alley provides a chic, welcoming space to savor signature Waldorf Astoria dishes and an extensive selection of premium beverages.

For guests seeking greater privacy and a more refined experience, Hutong Studios and a Hutong Presidential Suite are available. For more information check www3.hilton.com.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or one of the ones with patio baloncy
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sanscott
Marlene P, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello Sanscott,

I thank you for the kind review of our hotel after your stay. The team and I look forward to welcoming your return so that you may expereince our Hutong studios. We will be releasing these for sale in quarter 3 of this year.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous. Stunning art work throughout, spectacular food, perfect location. Staff are extremely friendly and keen to help. I highly recommend this hotel. If you can, request the premier corner suite - you will be amazed at the view. The hotel is very close to The Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Carrie Dione E

Hello Carrie Dione E

I thank you taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and the team and I would welcome another visit should you return to Beijing.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a brand new hotel. We loved that it was clean and all members of staff were friendly and eager to please. The interior layout is not typical of a hotel but the rooms were spacious and modern. One of the faucets in the bathroom sink kept spraying in the wrong direction. That's probably the only complaint I have. Otherwise, loved the oversized bathtub and shower, and the automatic Toto was also nice. The location was ideal for us. There was a mall across the street with a supermarket, pharmacy, restaurants, coffee shops, and retail stores. The tea place next door sold some really good jasmine tea. Overall, great experience at the Waldorf Astoria Beijing and would definitely recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank OzziesPiddles

Hello OzziesPiddles,
We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your stay. Apologies for the leaking faucet, it has been repaired to ensure other guests do not have the same surprise.
I hope the team and I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our mansion in Beijing.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

You can tell this hotel is brand new as it is state of the art in every way. The staff is extremely helpful and the rooms are beautiful. You must hang out at the pool and the hot tub as it is extremely relaxing! 5 stars!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephen T
Marlene P, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Stephen T
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. Our team are very motivated to ensure our guests have a wonderful experience. We are very fortunate to have such beautiful facilities for our guests to enjoy. I hope you will have the opportunity to return and enjoy the pool and Hot Tub again!

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Very modern new hotel in good location, however, too many details are not up to Waldorf standard. Too many issues-no drawers in room. Your stuff has to remain in suitcase. Shower connections leaking and spraying water in wrong direction, bathroom door won't shut, I-pad control of services doesn't work. Elevator numbers and information almost illegible-extremely difficult to see floor numbers. What were they thinking????
Dining room is excellent but expensive with beautiful open kitchen - excellent chef from Munich friendly staff - not much English spoken. I cannot recommend because I expect more from the Waldorf.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 62redtag
Marlene P, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear 62redtag,
I thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I am dissappointed that we were not able to provide you with a room without some maintenance issues. Shower, door and the in room pad are now rectified. I apologize that this was not rectified prior to your arrival into the room.
The lighting in the elevators I agree needs to be improved and the elevator company is working with us for this solution. The 3 drawers in our wardrobe are at a low level which may not have been as convenient for you to use.
I thank you for your comments regarding our chef and his team in Brasserie 1893. They are receiving some excellent feedback in the local Beijing market. We are continuously working on our team's English comprehension to ensure they can communicate effectively with our international visitors.
I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations on this trip to Beijing, however I hope we have the opportunity to turn around your initial opinion on a future visit to the city.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

A few minor technical glitches are not unexpected in a hotel which has been open for only a few weeks. The excellent and obviously well-trained staff more than compensate. Excellent location and good food as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim K
Marlene P, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Jim K,
Thank you so much for writing your thoughts from your stay. I will be sure to share with our team. I apologise for the technical glitches you encountered and you can rest assured we have ironed them out. We look forward to welcoming you back when you visit Beijing next.

In the mean time safe travels