“Room good except for air con, service not what it should be”
Review of News Plaza Hotel

News Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2,555 of 6,556 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We've travelled to Asia lot and accept the irregularities with their star ratings. Our room at the hotel was spacious and lovely but the air conditioning just didn't work. Same old problems with getting a non-smoking room - firstly we're told they don't have them and then decide they do have non-smoking floors when you insist on having a room there. Not good enough. The restaurant service is way beyond laughable, it's non existent. A language barrier is one thing, grunting at customers and turning your back is another. On the whole our stay was fine on the basis that the bed and the bathroom were the highlights. Beijing is fabulous so don't waste too much time in the hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Background: I essentially lived at this hotel for two years based primarily on ignorance and my work had a "good corporate rate" with them. News Plaza is essentially the Xinhua of Party run state "5 laughable star" hotels ... it sucks.

Room: Huge ... old ... moldy ... cracked walls ... probably covered in listening devices ... stench of 20 years of Chinese cigarette smoke

Bathroom: moldy ... toilets that don't flush properly or run forever ... showers that dont drain ... no ventilation or light

Food: Don't ... seriously, just don't

Service: As friendly as a disgruntled over worked apathetic state owned hotel employee could muster ... Management probably graduated from an online course in state owned hotel management ... or is a low level party worker cousin

Getting a taxi: Impossible

Positive: Its right next to Dongdan subway station and a 10 min walk to Oriental Plaza (like a big mall with some western food)
Recommended: corner rooms ... I guess

Needless to say I havnt been staying here for a while and won't unless every other hotel in the city is full ... and the train station is closed ...

Room Tip: Dont .... just dont
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Probably the filthiest hotel I've ever stayed in !! Started on day 1 when I was served off wine (not just funny Chinese wine - and well past corked !!). Staff & management were very agressive & unhelpful - after days of arguing with management, I paid for wine. Rooms were covered in mould, vomit down walls, bad stains on carpet, showers that don't just leak but flood the whole bathroom. Hotel attempted to charge me for extra towels that were required to mop up bathroom floor. Air con broke, light fuses blew, water got shut off.....I have seriously stayed in thai hostels in better condition than this hotel. The 1 star is for location & the restaurant on level 3. The rest doesn't rate at all.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sallyhigg
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Currently in residence at this hotel as part of an organised Great Wall Marathon package. This has to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We were promised at least 4 stars, I'd be generous in suggesting it had 1. The bathrooms are atrocious with serious drainage issues. There is remnants of the previous occupants vomit on the bathroom wall, as well as a large chunk of their hair on the soap rack, and what appears to be blood stains on the carpet and bed valance. My friend's room had rotting carpet at the entrance to their bathroom and an overwhelming stench of mould. They had to be moved. The bar staff and management we encountered on our first night were very rude and did not know what they were doing. I cannot wait to leave this dump.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in April with my husband and 16 year old daughter. Our tour guide told us on the coach on the way from the airport that it was a Chinese 5 star hotel. As it turns out Chinese 5 star is NOT the equivalent to International 5 star standards.

The hotel is in a convenient location with a large shopping mall with great restaurants across the road. It is also close to the subway station - 2 stops away from the Silk Markets and 7 Bus stops away from the Pearl Markets. Also a very easy stroll to Wangfujing Road which is fun to visit at night.

The rooms are large with plenty of room for 3 people, but they are in desperate need of cleaning and renovation. The carpets were filthy, paint was peeling, lights didn't work, towel rails in the bathroom kept falling off the wall and the beds were rock hard - although I think this is a Chinese preference. The rollaway bed our daughter had to sleep on was dreadfully uncomfortable. She couldn't decide which was worse to sleep on, the filthy sofa or the rock hard bed with bars digging into her back all night. Was lucky we were so tired by the end of the day that we could sleep anywhere.

We didn't have the problem of the stink of smoke as many others in our group did but we did have a really strong smell of urine in the bathroom each morning - not ok. A couple of others in our group also had this problem.

I also noticed that in another review someone was saying they couldn't adjust their air-conditioning. Others on the trip also mentioned this to our guide and he told us that it is against the law for establishments in Beijing to run their air-conditioning at that time of year. They can't start using it until May. They are only allowed to run the fans - just passing on what we were told.

For location, I would look for a hotel in this area, but probably not this one because even though we spent very little time in the room, I do like to be confident with hygiene when I am staying somewhere

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SJWicks
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights on a group tour to Beijing. I prefer to make my own travel arrangements and staying at this hotel reinforced to me why.

We attended a business conference in Shanghai and a group extension tour to Beijing was offered and we decided to go with the flow and join the group trip.

The hotel rooms were very large and the soft furnishings included a 2 seater couch, an arm chair with ottoman, a desk and two large upright chairs. The furniture was in good order.

We are a couple and we were allocated a room with twin beds, while other single members in the group were given king beds????? How does that work? Because of the language barrier (I speak no Chinese) I didn't bother trying to change.

I think they must have had left over concrete when they built the hotel and they decided to use it to make the beds - honestly there was no softness to the beds at all, it was literally like sleeping on concrete.

Our bed side lamps did not work, our toilet blocked and when we showered we were standing in 2 inches of water because the drain could not cope. The bar fridge was not in the cupboard allocated to the bar fridge but was in the cupboard under the TV. Again - why??? We were lucky to find it.

We could not get the airconditioner to go below 23 degrees celcius and for us this was too hot for comfortable sleeping so we ended up opening the windows and listening to the traffic.

One area where I hope Asia catches up with the West is with "non-smoking" in hotel bedrooms, there were ash trays supplied, on the coffee table, on the sill next to the toilet, on the bedside table - YUK. Everything stunk of cigarette smoke, even my pillow and being an asthmatic I suffered for it. On speaking to others in the group, I think all the rooms were the same so we just put up with it.

Breakfast was included in our rate and the buffet was substantially for Asian tastes. My partner had toast with jam every morning and I had poached eggs on toast as nothing else appealed to us as although we like all the noodles, pork buns, salad, vegetables etc that were on offer - just not for breakfast.

We had some good help from the concierge who helped us negotiate the subway, his English was reasonably good thankfully because as I said before my Chinese is non existant. We had trouble with taxi drivers not wanting to take us where we wanted to go and on the one occasion we persuaded one to take us we had to pay him double what was on the meter or he wouldnt let us in the cab. Thankfully we found it easy and very cheap to get around on the subway and there was a stop very close to the hotel. It just meant you were up close and personal with a LOT of strangers. The Silk market was two stops in one direction and Wangfujing Street one stop in the opposite direction. There was basically 6 flights of stairs to access the subway stop ( 6 x 18 steps - I counted) but we found you could exit via escalator across the road and use the walk way under the road if you are lazy like me and want to avoid climbing back up the six flights on your return.

I would choose somewhere different to stay if I am ever in Beijing again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Hotel is conveniently located near major attractions, shopping malls, markets and the subway. Communication with hotel staff can be a major problem because many do not speak good English. Had a bad experience with a concierge who could not speak English and gave very bad service. Rooms are very spacious but need updating. The smell of cigarette smoke is common in many rooms. My wife and I were given 2 single beds as were many other couples in our tour group, whereas singles were given king sized beds. Bar is of a very poor standard. Breakfast is average, coffee machine was constantly out of order. Poor exercise facilities. Overall the low point of a great time in Beijing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple