“You get what you pay for”
Review of Yayuncun Hotel

Yayuncun Hotel
Ranked #3,360 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Oxford, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 9 February 2013

First, a warning. The Yayuncun is a complex of buildings left over from the Asian Games of 1988 (I think). It shares a huge, densely populated site with another management company, Hui Yuan. Together the buildings run from Block A to Block R.The lowest block is around eight stories. The tallest is around twenty. I have stayed in half a dozen of them. They vary enormously. Indeed, the quality varies floor by floor. Several of the buildings (e.g. Block A and Block M, among others) are "proper" (albeit Chinese style) hotels (i.e. they have a limited sense of "service"). Others are "service apartments". In my experience, the service apartments are better than the hotels. (Less aggravation, possibly because of lower expectations?) Anyway ... on this trip I stayed in Block B Service Apartment. You check in at Block A and then trundle around the back to Block B.

As other reviewers have noted, the check in staff are unhelpful and have limited English.

I really want to write a good review of Block B. They really tried hard but, unfortunately, they just don't get it quite right. The suite (service apartments always seem to be suites. A sitting room/lounge, a bedroom, a bathroom, and, frequently, what can only be called a sun room. Although the hotel's website says that there are kitchens, as far as I can tell these are always sealed.) had been recently renovated/modernized. It's an enormous step in the right direction. Unfortunately, they just don't get to the finish line.

The suite I was in was recently redecorated and was a pleasant change from the shabbier suites I have had in other blocks in the past. Everything was re-done -- ceiling and trim repainted, walls had new wallpaper, new vinyl "wood effect" floor, new electrical sockets that took Chinese, US, and European plugs (Brits, take an adapter), new light fixtures on the ceiling (flourescent strip lighting gives everything a bluish tint -- which is pretty ghastly on cold winter evenings). The furniture was new or nearly new. So no stains, no badly mended tears. New curtains. Best, the bathroom was entirely re-done to a high standard. Although there was no bath tub, there was a proper 4-star style shower stall (so, no more wet bathroom floors), a new sink, mirror, lighting. The walls were freshly tiled. The floor, I think was also new (hard to tell because it was pretty filthy -- the housekeeping staff didn't seem to know how to clean a room properly -- possibly didn't have the right equipment. I never saw a proper mop or a vacuum cleaner). The biggest downside to the bathroom is that it is tiny. This was made worse by the fact that although they had replaced all the doors and door hardware, the door was hung backwards. It opened into the bathroom. The result? You must stand in the shower stall to open and close the door. This was a real shame as they really tried hard to modernize the apartment. But too often they got it wrong.

The bedroom had two (very hard) beds, a chest of drawers, a beside table, a flat screen TV. What's missing? A bedside reading lamp would have been appreciated.

The sitting room had a table and four chairs, a sofa, an arm chair, a desk, a chest of drawers, a large 3D TV, and a full-sized refrigerator. Internet connection was via cable. It was a reasonable connection. Again, no desk lamp.

At the end of the living room was what I can only call a "sun room". I have no idea what this room could be used for. (Possibly, when the buildings were built they were used to dry athletes' clothes?) Anyway, you enter the room through sliding glass partition-style doors (which basically perform the function as a glass partition between the lounge area and the sun room). The sun room is 4.5 feet wide and 11 feet wide. There is no furniture in it. Again, the people who did the make-over tried hard, but didn't quite get it right. All the other service apartments I had stayed in had grubby sun rooms. This one was clean. New patio doors, freshly painted ceiling, the exposed brick walls and freshly tiled floor were finished to a high standard. But to what purpose the room could be put I cannot begin to guess. The room is too narrow to accommodate the table and chairs. Indeed, it's too narrow for the armchair. You could, I guess, move one of the dining chairs out there but I'm not sure why you would do it. Not only are the dining chairs uncomfortably hard but, much more importantly, there is nothing to look at through the windows. This is because the windows in the sun room (which were also the only windows to the sitting room) faced the wall of the adjacent (say 15 feet away) building. This wall was, without a doubt, the ugliest wall I have ever seen -- a melange of duct-work, guttering, dangling wires. You could not see the sky. Just the wall. Without a doubt the most horrible view I have ever had in a hotel room anywhere, ever. (Note, the windows in the bedroom also face this same wall.) As far as I can figure out, all the rooms in the hotel face the same way.

On the plus side? The heating worked well (note: there is a delay of several minutes between when you make a setting and when the heating fan turns on. It's like hitting a brontosaurus on the tail and waiting for the message to reach its head). The shower was terrific. Excellent shower head, excellent water pressure, excellent drain. The new refrigerator was useful (there is a good supermarket in the building adjacent to Block A and the newspaper kiosk has the English language edition of the China Daily). The internet connection was reasonable. It is close to the convention center and to the Bird's Nest stadium. The residential neighborhood across Anli Road has a wide variety of local restaurants. While English-speaking staff and English-speaking menus are few and far between, but most menus have photos.

By the way, there are also restaurants in some of the Yayuncun and Hwai Yuan blocks. Near Block M there is a good Hot Pot restaurant (with beer garden) and a Baskin & Robbins ice cream shop.

Would I stay there again? In the complex, yes. In this block, no. The view is too depressing.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Block B.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 January 2013

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: i contacted you on and about the06Jan13 about not access to the kitchen or pool and the sewer smell in bathroom and out in the hall the front Desk told me the kitchen was out of service!! and the smell; they said they would get me a room and move with no problems;that was after i contacted you!!?? never happened and i looked around on foot but all were booked.The cleaning woman had a bad cough with no mask;after two day of half cleaning!!she took time off for sickness. The floors were nastyeven after they mopped with a dirty mop?? that was used in other rooms; I took a hand towel went over the floor it is in the pictures Going to charge me for towel,but came back with a change of heart?? Because I was going to pay and keep..The pool they advertised on there site =MEMBERSHIP!@##$!##!!!The last days were Hell,I was sick, Weather /smog!!!!And on Thursday nite at about 22:30 hrs came a ringing and banging and hollering on the door at #A216 The woman come busting in pushing me aside to gain access to the light switch to turn it off to the locked room but is the way you treat all your guest??? with the red carpet treatment?? I demand a refund and they need to be reported to the authorizes and Health Department....

Room Tip: they do not have a POOL or access to kitchen ,said it was broke ,then said i did not pay for it !! w...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Pwall2
Culemborg
Reviewed 9 November 2012

When you arrive in a hotel after a long travel time, it would be nice to be helped adequately. Yayuncun staff manages to let you wait for 80 minutes to check in. This was no incident, I stayed there for 5 days and it was the same all over during day time. Only when I arrived in the middle of the night coming back from Yunnan trip, there was no queue. Extremely unhelpful, not being able to solve the simples things, booking for a room one week later may cost you at least one hour. The staff doesn't even manage to write Beijing Capital Airport in Chinese for you to get a cab. Fortunately there was a student for holiday work there who helped me to get through the gigantic bureaucracy they manage to create. A hotel to stay away from.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Overall, the hotel was not that bad. Sure, it'd be nice if there were more amenities in the building, but I really didn't have all that much time to use them considering I was there on business.

Location: corner of Anli Road and Huizhong Road. Make sure you tell the cab driver this because otherwise you'll be walking across the entire North Star Center for 20 minutes like I did.

Reason for Being There: I had to do a TEFL in China training program there, which was 7 days long, but I stayed at this hotel for 10 days.

Room: I stayed in a room with 2 twin beds in the A building (YaYunCun Hotel). In the room there are two beds, a nightstand, a closet (no ready iron or anything), a TV on a drawer, a desk, a study room, and bathroom with western toilet, shower, sink (the usual). Oh, and there's A/C that works amazingly -- great after walking back in the heat.

TV: they just replaced the TV's on the 2nd or 3rd day that I was there, so now ALL the rooms have flat screens. English channels include HBO, Cinemax, and a couple other movie channels, so that was nice.

Study Room: In my room, there was also a study room that had a square table with 4 chairs. that was separated by sliding glass doors.

Bathroom: As everyone else mentioned, the bathrooms are not the best -- water didn't flow down the sink fluently and the shower was not divided from the rest of the bathroom so the floor would get wet, but not to an extent where it was unbearable (it doesn't go past the sink and doesn't even come close to the bathroom door).

Air-Conditioning: works well -- had the room set at 18* C the entire time. Perfect.

Internet: No Wi-Fi; only plug-in ethernet cord on the desk.

Employees: very friendly employees, but when I first arrived, there were about 4-5 employees working the front desk and absolutely none of them spoke English, so I didn't know how to mention my reservations to the hotel, so I had to just book a room right there with them... using my very limited elementary Chinese. However, every time I came to the desk after that, there was always someone who spoke decent English.

Pros: decent price (~380 RMB/night); convenient location (near the Olympic Bird Nest Stadium); clean rooms; A/C; cable & internet;
Cons: wet bathrooms; no Wi-Fi; employees' English is very limited; no fridge or snacks in the room; no view of anything but the back of another building;

Room Tip: If you don't have time to enjoy the "amenities" like the "pool" or "spa...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank mr_johnchi
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed at block B on the fourth level window facing the back of a shopping centre with air conditioner compressors rumbling away. It is very noise. Although room was refurnished (as mentioned by management) it is still below standard. Cracked toilet floor tiles, sink with stain, room using florensence light thus doesn't have any warm feeling.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank DerrickLee
Berkeley
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I stayed here during a conference at the Beijing International Conference Center. I was in the A block. I had friends staying in the N block who said it was nicer (they had sprung for the "luxury room" as it was called by the conference organizers). The A block is about a 12 minute walk from BICC. This was the cheapest of the options offered for the conference, but I would say it would have been worth springing for something nicer.

My room was serviceable, but pretty grim. I'd say aside from the bathroom, it was about the level of a Motel 6 in the US, except with less English. The bathroom sometimes smelled funny, and the shower drains slowly in the middle of the floor -- there's a shower curtain, but no divided shower floor so the entire thing floods when you shower. I think this may be fairly common in China (my other hotel didn't even have a shower curtain for the shower) but at the other hotel at least the drain worked better! Also the cleaning in the bathroom was peremptory, and there were old beer-colored stains on one part of the wall. The bed at least was clean, and comfortable (though rock hard, which I think is standard in China). The internet is wired only. The soundproofing is not very good. Breakfast included, non-inspiring, but edible.

The staff spoke very limited English. They would have a staff member (not in uniform) hanging out in the lobby who would come over and interpret for the desk staff. This was disconcerting at first, since I didn't realize the interpreter was on the staff. This would have been fine except that the interpreter had worse English than most of the staff at the tourist focused shops I visited, which was unfortunate and not confidence inspiring.

The surrounding area is rather soulless. Although, there is a nice bar close to North Star Prime Hotel (three minute walk southwest of the A block, look for the fairy lights) which is nice for hanging out after the conference with colleagues. Decent food options in a food court in the "Legend" mall, as well as down the street walking east from the A block. There's a supermarket right next to the A block as well, which is good for getting bottled water.

In summary: don't stay here if you're just here for tourism! If here for a conference, and want to stay a few extra days (as I did) then I highly recommend changing hotels to some place closer to the bustling hutongs! I went to the Purple Courtyard after staying here, and was much happier.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Natania A
UK
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed here while attending a conference at the (relatively) nearby China National Convention Center (20-25 min walk), for which it was listed by the conference organisers as the low-budget option.

The hotel was built in 1990 for the Asian Games. It's at the intersection of Huizhong Road and Anli Road, and not very near Beichen(g) Road as given in its address. Bear this in mind if getting a taxi (mine could not find it when given the address in Chinese). The nearest subway stations are the Olympic ones on line 8 (20 minutes' walk), or Huixinxie Beikou on line 5 (25-30 minutes' walk) for a more direct link to downtown. A taxi to the airport cost 80RMB including tolls and taxes and took no more than 30 minutes at 8pm.

For 320RMB per night I had a twin room including breakfast for two. The room was clean, spacious, and well air-conditioned, with good furniture including a dining table area for four (!). The beds were comfortable and linen clean and good quality. TV included a small selection of English-speaking channels (BBC World, National Geographic, HBO, Bloomberg, ESPN...). A fridge and kettle were also supplied, as was an internet connection (cable) - I didn't use any of these.

The bathroom was functional, with a good shower but no tub/tray, only a "wet room" style floor. Exposed pipework and a rusty curtain rail gave it a very old-fashioned vibe, a contrast to the rest of the room. I had a problem with the plug of the washbasin at one point but it was fixed quickly once I got through to someone who could speak enough English to report it.

The breakfast setup is a little odd in that there is a bar/buffet area and then tables in a series of smaller rooms along the corridor, which all feels a bit cramped. Breakfast selection included salads, eggs, ham/sausage, steamed rolls, cooked vegetables, congee, fruit, pastries and toast. It's busy, but staff clear tables quickly and I was always able to find a seat. I don't know how it compares to other hotels or other breakfast options nearby, but I put together a decent breakfast every morning. I didn't try evening food or room service.

Beware that they ask for a cash deposit on check-in, which used up a chunk of the RMB I had changed (I expected to pay on departure, perhaps naively). The 2300RMB was actually more than my bill. I didn't make use of any other hotel facilities apart from depositing my luggage for the day (free). The in-room information lists a "business center" with email access, which I would have used but it didn't seem to exist, and reception knew nothing.

There are various restaurants in the area. I tried three, and all were fine. Bellagio is a shiny, modern Taiwanese place 2 minutes' walk east on Huizhong Rd and there are good reviews of the chain here on Tripadvisor. They have English on their menu, and the food was very tasty.

The other two, I can't find contact information for online so I'm not sure I can review them separately - here are the basics: Guolin is a more traditional-looking place east off Anli Rd, south of the hotel. It has no English on the (picture) menu but some staff speak a little. The food was excellent and plentiful. Papa's is next to Guolin and was OK, it had a little English on the menu. Most food seemed to be hot/spicy, and the meal I ordered was a set (appetisers/fruit, rice, salads, main) and good value.

There's a good (upscale?) supermarket on the corner next to the hotel, selling all kinds of fresh, frozen and packaged food, drinks, toiletries, and useful things like electrical adaptors. Over the road is a bunch of fast food places like KFC and Pizza Hut that have free wifi if you need it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business