“Great place”
Review of Shatan Hotel

Shatan Hotel
Ranked #601 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 25 November 2013

After getting over the hutong smell and location we had a great time at the Shatan. The location is fantastic and really puts you into the China atmosphere. Check out some of the restuarants on the street as well, including a lady that makes an unreal breakfast sandwich for 5 yuan at the end of the street on the same side of the Shatan (towards the Red Wall hotel). The rooms are what we expected, small, dated, and we also had no air conditioning the entire week so our room was at a balmy 27 degrees celcius. We were told that the air conditioning did not work since it was almost winter. There is no wifi in the rooms that are not on the first floor, but there is wifi in the lobby. Don't bother with the restuarant in the hotel nor the lobby bar, pretty expensive when you can run across the road and get a beer for 3 yuan. I definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mottsy8

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I chose to stay here briefly to experience an Old Beijing Hutong neighbourhood
The location is fairly good since it is five minutes walk to Jianshiang Park and the Forbidden City.
However since it is based in a Hutong, the surroundings are very Chinese with very few options for anything but local food. The staff speak some English and are fairly polite and helpful.
However the rooms are small and cramped. the bathrooms though clean are old and need a makeover. We had breakfast at the restaurant which was again mainly Chinese items so if you are looking for a hearty English or American breakfast before your sightseeing, you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay here only if you want a Hutong Experience
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The staff is friendly and their English is good enough, however, the hotel is quit old and the rooms are NOT very clean. especially in the bathroom. The wifi is so poor and barely usable.
The hotel is close to the forbidden city but nothing else. The nearest metro station is at least 15 minutes walk.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean L
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I chose this hotel based on its location and in this respect it was a success. I was taking a stopover in Beijing so only had a couple of days. The hotel is very conveniently located less that 500m north of the Forbidden City. I found all the staff that I interacted with to be helpful and those on the front desk spoke English. I enjoyed the breakfast, an interesting selection of Chinese items which I sampled many of.
I found the journey between the hotel and the airport to be straightforward using the Dongsi Metro station, about a kilometer from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CE778
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My friend and I recently went on a trip around China and this is one of two hotels we stayed at in Beijing. Hotel rooms are clean and tidy and beds are comfortable. Our stay in general was great, the staff were really polite and helpful - helped us to plan a trip into the city to see the acrobat show and told us which buses to get etc (nearest tube station is about 20 minute walk away). The hotel's location isn't the best, although it's very central in terms of the ring roads etc, it's down a street that even the taxi drivers had to ring the hotel to find out where it was. On check out we got charged for 'colour on the towel' which other than washed off make up can't have been anything other than wear and tear which we were annoyed by. They receptionist said they had been in the room that morning and couldn't wash the colour off - considering it was 8am when we checked out and only left the room at 7:30am, I'm not sure how they could have established this, but whatever. All in all a good stay but be very careful - infact, take your own towels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

A little bit old fashion but nothing that was not supportable. A great value for money and it corresponds to my expectations and according to other customers’ reviews that I read here in Booking. The room has an incredible efficient isolation from the street noise. Close to the forbidden city in a walk of about 30 minutes. There are also a few nice typical restaurants in the hotel’s street, where you can eat a very tasty food by a low price. The only problem, as in almost all Beijing is that they cannot speak English. I just stayed here for 2 nights and I booked my visit to the Great Wall in the reception, for 200 RMB including the lunch, which was a very reasonable price. The name of the guide was May and I paid directly to her. This Hotel also has what they call a shopping center, which is simply a desk where you can book several activities. The girl from this desk does not speak any English, but she uses a good Web Chinese translator that translates everything she wants to say to me. Otherwise you can also ask to someone of the Hotel reception to play as a translator. I bought here my fast train ticket (the G1) to Shanghai. I had to pay an extra fee of 30 RMB (approximately 3,5 euros) but it was much better than challenge a tickets desk and find someone awful that will be not able to answer my questions. Furthermore I was running the risk of not getting a ticket, since it is very recommended that you purchase the train tickets 1 week earlier.
I waked up every day with the noise from the corridor and a phone ringing from any neighbor room. But the lack of isolation was a general problem that I found in all the 4 different hotels where I stayed in China.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Staff were rude. we ordered an extra bed for our 12 yo and a fildung bed was placed in our room but it wasnt locked, as soon as someone sat on it it collapsed. When we complained about it the reception staff ssid it was safe and would not send anyone up to look. We had to yell at them with the help of our chinese speaking guide and threaten to leave to get any change. The manager ended up apologising and got the bed changed over but it was an effort that spoiled our stay in Beijing. And the shower was mouldy.