“Customer may not always be right; but customer is always first”

Park Plaza Wangfujing
Ranked #33 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This experience with park plaza has propelled me so strongly to sign up with trip advisor and pen down my very first review.....
I booked this hotel based on my friends recommendation who just stayed 2 weeks ago. She said the location is "walking distance" to the various sightseeing places like Forbidden city..but when I was here it was too extremely cold to walk there so we took the subway which is fine- the hotel is really near the subway (dengshikou stn)..
Checked in much earlier than the standard check-in time 2pm as my flight landed morning. The staff at counter said she will allow us to check in and not require us to pay for an additional day, how nice right? So instead she charged us an "early check-in fee" which worked out actually to be the same amount I was paying a night! She later explained that my rates were internet rates so it's "extremely cheaper" than the counter rate ie. "5 times more" she quoted. Following, she got us to take up breakfast for the next 3 days citing my booking had NIL breakfast and said that we can take a "club room package" because well, at this time, it's like the only room avail for you too and it's simply a very good deal..So we don't really have a choice right.. Total bill was inflated about 100% more... The stay was pleasant and breakfast spread good. I don't really know if my room was "club room" because it wasn very big couldn't place 2 luggage..anyway, Packaged tour from hotel was an enjoyable one; our guide was a lady called Alice and she speaks wonderful English. So Something happened on check-out morning which left me rather displeased. Our cab pick up to the airport was 640am and so I told the counter staff that we not be having breakfast as it would insufficient for any meal, (breakfast opens at 6.30).. Moreover, I noted that they did not open on time and at 630am the doors and lights to the restaurant were closed. She politely explained that it's already in my package and hence cannot do a refund, I explained that well it wasn't really in my original booking and was added in at my check-in by her colleague so similarly she can remove it.. She didn't batter an eyelid and continued to say it cannot be done and I should have cancelled my breakfast last night! Well, yes that could have been done and since it obviously was not, I'm sure this is when your personal touch and emphatic skills as a trained service staff can set in? Almost immediately, another staff butted into our conversation and told me to go for breakfast now and "tabao" or "takeaway" whatever breakfast I can since I need to catch a flight! Wao!! I was stunned at this statement and at that very moment assured that there is no way they were going to help me. I left for the restaurant with 5 minutes to "have my breakfast"... While trying swallow my cornflakes, monitor the minutes ticking away and also breathe at the same time I realized that I would need a bottle of water (because I would not scald my throat by gulping down hot tea in the 30 seconds left and they obviously don't have bottled juices) the ones you will get daily in your room when housekeeping come, so I asked the waiter for a bottle of water to-go...he look extremely stunned or maybe was still half asleep at 6.30am and took awhile to sheepishly reply that I will have to pay for it! I blinked my eyes in disbelief and perhaps calm myself as my heartbeat surely escalated at his reply and explained to him it's "those normal bottled plain water in the rooms, can I get one as I really need to go nowwww".....thank god another lady possibly the supervisor noticed he was taking too long for a normal request and came to my aid! She immediately told him to get it for me and I noticed he wandered and back again empty handed because he didn't know where to get it from in the first place! I decided to leave the restaurant because I really believe that it's not worth missing my flight over a bottle of water and thankfully as I stepped out he walked in in time too..phew what an eventful last 10-15 mins I had with this hotel...I really have to say it is the hardware (amenities, facilities, cleanliness) that guests would choose to stay with you but the hotels software (service excellence, personal touch) is equally or if not, more important to giving your guests that lingering, memorable experience!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Helen H, Manager at Park Plaza Wangfujing, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you very much for giving us the feedback on your recent stay at Park Plaza Wangfujing Beijing.
We deeply value your comment which we have investigated the matter carefully with the individuals concerned. You have arrived just after midnight around 2am. Our front desks check you in as an “early check-in" as you have mentioned. As a frequent traveler we hope you understand this is a wrong adjustment. As all hotels will charge the full day room charges when guest registered at this hours. As a international branded chain hotel, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s highest satisfaction. We have experienced guests departing much earlier than the normal breakfast buffet opening hours, once the request is raised night before departure, we will arrange breakfast take away based on guest preference, and the arrangement is very much appreciated by our valued customer.
Once again, thank you for your comment and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,994)

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in November based on trip-advisor reviews and really believe it should be ranked even better. Arrived Friday night cutting through the pollution and opted to upgrade for the larger room, breakfast, and happy hour. That first night the happy hour was plenty to satisfy dinner. Free beer and wine, fish sticks, an assortment of salads and rolls, and even a couple of desserts. What an oasis from the traffic and pollution Beijing is notorious for.

The service was outstanding. They really go out of the way to be friendly and helpful. Hank at Concierge deserves special mention, but really every staff is top notch.

Easy walk to forbidden city and Tiananmen square. Starbucks across the courtyard. The hotel is set back a bit from the main road which makes it feel quieter and more private.

The original rate via Agoda was so good I felt the upgrade offer at the desk was reasonable and so I went for it. I dont usually do this but after experiencing the happy hour the first night and enjoying breakfast each morning I feel it was a good value.

Treat yourself to a stay at Park Plaza!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JeffPink
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Like others before, they offered an upgrade from my deluxe room to club for about CNY238/night. But I declined and to be honest, the deluxe room is amazing already!
Ample amenities - usual shower/gel/conditioner, toothbrush, shaver, earbuds, sewing kit. And a weighing machine as well. Iron in the room was handy for business use too, just no trouser press. Loved the floor level lights which light from the bedside table and also the same in the toilet to help guide you in the dark. 2 bottles of water are provided free to drink - in the bathroom as Beijing tap water is not recommended for drinking. My room was on the 7th floor and it was quiet and comfortable - excellent size with a double bed and couch too. Facilities included wired and wifi internet access for free. Bellboys helped with bags up and informed of the gym on level 3 if you need it.

Great food too if you want to use the restaurants in the hotel - bloo dining (2nd floor), oodle (1st floor) and the bar as well. Alternatively room service is available for food including breakfast, just add the 15% service charge. bloo offers wonderful south-east asian cuisine which is excellent! oodle also does all you can eat sushi choices! enjoy!

There is a nearby metro station but I used a car (googled for airport transfers) and paid US£35 each way but the hotel website offers a variety of packages some include transfers.

Tip: if calling overseas, don't forget to use the full international code after the 9 [00] [country code] [number]

Location wise, this is within walking distance of Wangfujing area (10 mins walk to the Apple store) but there is not much actually around - just a good base to explore from. Whilst relatively near, bear in mind you have to walk through the polluted air and I certainly did feel myself having to breathe harder just to get the needed oxygen. Bring your particulate masks! Beijing APM mall nearby has a variety of eateries as well which is convenient and offers choice.

All in all, would be happy to stay here again, as the service from staff was superb and the rooms really comfortable. Thank you for hosting my first trip to Beijing!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Starbucks have the view of the front entrance. Though the opposite side has limited...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel that caters to any traveller. This hotel is comfortable, clean and is situated in a good location. Staff here are friendly, helpful and efficient. The breakfast here is also very good. We are glad our travel agent arranged for us to stay here. We were made to feel very welcome. Concierge is excellent and the staff at the front desk are very helpful. The rooms are comfortable, clean and modern. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Beijing.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 23 November 2013

it's not central for me. i don't like having a long walk to shopping streets/malls. location is important to me. maybe a closer hotel would be hilton. hyatt would be a good choice being above oriental plaza.

the room is quite small but clean. but hotel is not accessible to me.

airconditioning system is quite a challenge to operate in the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank igme416
Helen H, Manager at Park Plaza Wangfujing, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. Please note the distance between Park Plaza Wangfujing, Hyatt and Hilton is within 3 minutes. Park Plaza is well known as “The Most Central Hotel in Beijing which located at the most luxury land area.” Thanks again and we hope to have you back soon if your travels bring you back to Beijing.

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in very central location for a tourist like us. The rooms are clean and we had a great view from our window. The checking in and out was very smooth, no hussle at all. Best roasted peking duck in very modern style restaurant is just 3 min walk called Dadong. Wangfujing street is not far from here. Most of the staff here speaks english and are very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Read the reviews and decided to go with Park plaza. Its pricing was also most affordable as compared to the other top tier hotels.

Stayed a total of 7 night in this hotel and the great hotel stay added to the wonderful memories I had at Beijing. Nice posh hotel, with clean room and amenities provided. There were many channels for the tv and free wifi in the room!

Breakfast was good with a variety of western and Chinese choices. Couldn't ask for more.

Location was fantastic with the railway station just 5 mins away from the hotel ( use the back door, turn right from lift lobby!)

Opposite the hotel was a Starbucks, Jinbao tower where Li Garden was, and Molly Malone. Turning left from the main door, 5-10 mins walk there are a couple of good restaurants to try. One of it is 汤城小厨 Sunshine kitchen. Decided to eat at this instead of Li Garden as the price was exorbitant. Food is pretty good there!

Concierge services at Park plaza is excellent, and the concierge staff is always ready to help and speak good English too.

To sum it up, strongly recommended!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple