“Really good stay but you'd better get ready to upgrade!”

Park Plaza Wangfujing
Ranked #28 of 6,516 Hotels in Beijing
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Really good stay but you'd better get ready to upgrade!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

When I stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago, I was traveling with a friend so it made sense to upgrade to a club room with Happy Hour + breakfast included. This time I was traveling on my own, and initially wanted to resist the very strong pressure of the Receptionist and stay in a "regular" superior room vs. a club room -- what I had booked.
I was given room 314, right above the restaurant, and it was like I was staying at another hotel from the Park Plaza I like so much! The room was old and tired, old upholstery and carpet, a bit dingy, dark, smelly. A minute later, I was down at Reception asking for the upgrade.
It all changed with the new room, and I was once again at the wonderful hotel I like so much. I guess some would say you get what you pay for, and yes be prepared to upgrade if you want a nice room. That's what I am reviewing -- a club room, and not the superior room they sell on the web!
Cost of the upgrade: RMB 273.70 per day with tax ($46).
Make sure you factor this in when you make the reservation.
I loved my room, the hotel location and the breakfast, but the cost per day was $151 and not $105 as I thought initially.
I will keep this in mind when I next book a stay in Beijing. I did not like the $105 room at all.

Room Tip: Spend $46 extra per day and upgrade. Those superior rooms are old, tired, and smelly!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We spent 3nights in this beautiful Hotel Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing, which is located near to Park Wangfujing. It is located opposite to Regent Hotel. View of this hotel was beautiful. Room is very clean with nice designed furniture and bed was perfect. Bathroom was spacious which is well equipped. Breakfast is delicious with a dessert. Room service is excellent with well-trained staffs .They treated us like a guest with a smile in their face. High-speed internet all over the hotel. Room security is perfect with a small gym, which is very clean. I highly recommend this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Very clean and comfortable. Excellent location next to subway. We upgraded the package for access to happy hour, upgraded room and late check out.

The bell desk staff helpful in guiding us to shops and attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for "specials"
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stopping off in Beijing on our way home after several months in China, the Park Plaza Wangfujing a wonderful location for us. Just a block away from the main shopping area, close to a metro station, with a rear view of the Ganmian Hutong, one of the last surviving old housing estates (great, cheap food there). A leisurey stroll to Tiananmen Square (takes maybe 20 minutes). The staff are friendly and attentive and speak good English. The housekeeping staff are particularly efficient, and took great pride in their work. We left some articles behind in the room when we were checked out, and they were able to track us down on the other side of Beijing within the hour, just in case they were important. Oh, and Thursdays are two-for-one martini night in the hotel bar...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Miami, Florida, USA
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I decided to stay at this hotel because it looked like a good value, and the reviews on trip advisor were good. I was not disappointed. Consistently courteous, and knowledgeable staff, nice dining facility, and a good location near some high end stores. As a Club Carlson member, i enjoyed complimentary happy hour, which was a very nice touch, and breakfast was replete. The room was very nice, and comfortable, and overall a good value. I would recommend this hotel, and I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is a rather nice hotel at a very good price.
Rooms - The rooms are spacious, they gave us two bottles of water every day, and the beds are very comfortable. They even have a pillow menu with green tea pillows; didn't try them, but it sounds interesting.
Location- The hotel is about a 15 minute walk east of the Forbidden City, just a few blocks from the Wangfujing night market and next to high-end shops.

• Stayed December 2013
Irvine, California
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is the 3rd time I'm writing a review for this hotel. I stayed there from Dec. 3 to Dec. 8. This hotel has become one of my favorites in Beijing.

Excellent location: The hotel is tucked away in a quiet corner of Jinbao Street (it's the very expensive street filled with luxury car dealerships, high end malls and nice restaurants). There is a Starbucks. A few blocks away is the pedestrian walking street of Wangfujing with tons of restaurants and shops - a must stop for tourists. A subway station is a few steps away (Line 5, Dengshikou, Exit C), super easy to reach popular tourist destinations via subway. If you walk toward the back of the hotel away from Jinbao street, about 100 meters you will find Shijia Hutong, which is a very famous hutong street filled with history and traditions. Many high profile people used to maintain residence there. There is an excellent museum in the middle of the hutong with exhibits in English. It just opened to the public in November. No tourist crowd yet! Highly recommended. It's much more genuine Beijing than the famous but very touristy Nanluoguxiang.

Facilities: the room is not very big but of adequate size. Good housekeeping. Very clean and modern interior. Excellent shower - probably the best water pressure of all Chinese hotels I stayed at. Complimentary water bottles and Beijing snacks everyday. Free and fast wi-fi. I stayed at the club floor. For me, breakfast is better on the 2nd floor (vs. the club lounge) because I get more Chinese food choices on the 2nd floor. Breakfast is not a large spread, however the choices are carefully made and food quality is high. I did not have time to visit the Club Lounge and therefore cannot review the amenities there. For happy hour (I think it's 5:30-7:30pm), they offer a small but adequate amount of drinks and small bites in the 2nd floor restaurant. I don't drink alcohol, but I find the food items quite good and almost can be a full dinner. It's not crowded at all.

Service: check in and checkout speed improved from last time I visited. Staff courteous and professional. The first night I arrive late at night and the hotel was overbooked, I got upgraded to the Regent next door (while also an excellent property, I actually prefer Park Plaza's smaller size and more quiet location).

Also, I'd like to mention that the clientele appears to be mainly business men and visitors from Europe and the U.S. The general atmosphere is pleasant and polite.

Overall, I still believe this hotel presents an excellent value in a city filled with thousands of hotel choices!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple