Park Plaza Wangfujing
US$259
US$193
Orbitz.com
3,017 results
All reviewsjinbao towerforbidden cityclub roomsubway stationwalking distanceminute walknight marketexit cexcellent locationbreakfast and happy hourconcierge staffbreakfast buffetan upgradestayed here for nightscentral locationtaxi driversuperior room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Well where do I start! We booked this hotel based on other Tripadvisor reports and it is just superb! from the moment we walked through the door to the day we left I dont think I have ever been made to feel more welcome in any hotel in the world.
As others have noted before the hotel is not that known with taxi drivers and the fact it is behind the Regent hotel does make it difficult to spot. Even with my wife being Chinese it still took a slow drive down the road to spot it hiding behind the Regent. I would suggest printing a google map or get one from the hotel before staying to make sure.
Location (once you are there!). Its in a great location with a tube station next door, about a casual 15 minute walk to the main shopping area and about 40 minutes walk to Tianamen square.
Hotel appearance. Very smart, clean, stylish.... need I say more!
Check in was easy and quick, good English speaking staff who explained everything about the hotel. Our room wasnt ready due to us being early but we were directed to the club floor for free tea. We had booked a club floor suite as this included breakfast for 2, happy hour between 5:30 and 7:30 pm in the club floor and a larger room for the 3 of us. The room was just magnificent, a separate lounge from the bedroom, bathroom with walk in shower, toilet and bath plus there was a separate toilet just on the entrance to the lounge area. Very good selection of toiletries as well. We upgraded to this room for about 350 yuan inc tax which considering what we got it was a bargain. There was free wired internet as well which was quite a good speed as well.
Breakfast was excellent with a large range of western and asian options. About 3 chefs cooking eggs and noodles as well! even the coffee wasnt bad which was a first on this trip.
Club floor. Basically free drinks and nibbles for a couple of hours each day. A nice section of food both hot and cold with various drinks available including alcoholic. Free wireless internet in the club floor as well which was useful.
Concierge. Never seen as many staff on a Concierge desk, im sure there were 5 one day! but I have also never had the service like they gave. Helpful, polite, cheerful and more. We organised a tour with them and also booked the train from Beijing to Xian. Our train tickets arrived within an hour! they also clearly explained the commision rates that were charged which was refreshing to say the least.
Downsides to the hotel? Im loathed to put anything as I cant praise the hotel high enough but the bar prices are bordering on insane. One night we had 2 teas and a fresh orange which came to 150 yuan. I hope its the last time my 2 year old son has a more expensive drink than me! Unless you really need to I would therefore not have casual drinks in the hotel. The same beer they charge nearly 50 yuan for is availble for 2.5yuan in a shop near by. Im sure the pricing is probably standard to other similar Beijing hotels of this class but as a family it is still exceptionally expensive.
Many hotels have similar issues regarding pricing in my opinion so I dont want these comments to put anyone off a hotel which I safely say is the best I have ever stayed at. My advice is enjoy the hotel, the staff and the location, just eat and drink while you are out!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Col1n
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Only good things to say about this hotel. The place seems to run like clock work, nothing from check-in to check-out could be faulted. All staff from reception to doormen were all pleasant and helpful and almost everyone seemed to be bilingual in Mandarin Chinese and English. The female concierge was priceless. We had our own itinerary and she not only arranged transport but re-confirmed our reservations so that everything would run smoothly. Upon returning, she immediately greeted us and inquired if everything had been satisfactory, as indeed it had been.

The hotel is fairly big and seemed full to capacity during our stay, with an international conference, tour groups, assorted business and leisure travelers. However, the staff always seemed to have a warm greeting, leading to a very pleasant environment. On-site noodle restaurant was convenient and good value. Would definitely recommend and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2009
1  Thank worldtraveller008
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I cannot say enough great things about the staff at the Park Plaza. Aside from great rooms, comfortable beds, perfect location, easy access to tours, what really stood out at this hotel was how wonderfully helpful and genuinely friendly the staff were.

They consistently provided honest advice about where to eat, what shows to see, tours to take and at one point walked us around to a restaurant in the hutong behind the hotel that they frequent. The food was really good. When expedia screwed up our flights and we were stuck fighting with them on the phone at 2 am to no avail, Catherine, our amazing concierge, offered to call the airline and had us booked on another flight, no charge. She saved us a ton of money and was incredibly helpful.

I would come back to this hotel in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone who asks. If you're planning on a trip to Beijing, give yourself more than 3 full days. There's way too much to see!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sheltie_lover_4ever
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I have stayed here for more than 6 times for the past 1 over year. I have tried Sheraton, Hyatt, Radisson and Hilton but I always end up coming back here.

What keep bringing me back
- The rooms here are new and very clean.
- It is a small hotel, after 2 days, every staff here will remember you. You will start to get more personal smiles and greetings like they are greeting a friend instead of a guest.

What makes me considering other hotels
- location! Yes it is very central. But my office is far away in the south and getting back from office during 5 to 8pm is a nightmare with the traffic.

Suggestions
- this hotel has a limited view. BUT always ask for a room facing the north. Part of the hotel in the east side of the hotel is unblocked and you can get a GREAT view of courtyard houses just below. You also get to see all the way to Bird nest stadium on a clear day (which is very very rare in BJ). Every morning, you will also find a flock of birds flying above those courtyard houses which I always find it amusing.
- Taxi drivers generally do not know this hotel. The tip is to tell them the street "Jinbao Jie" or "Li Jing" (Regent Hotel) which is more famous brother of Park Plaza Wangfujing.
- I have started to see some beggars just outside the main street junction outside the hotel. I have seen them jump out of a taxi and than beg money from me and telling me they have no money for food. Ignore them like they do not exist.
- There is a nice meat bun shop 10mins walk along Dong Dan North street. The sign outside said the master cooks were from the famous "kou bu li" buns. Its taste similar. If you do not want to walk all the way to wangfujing for the real thing, this is not a bad choice.
- There are some facotry outlets 15 mins walk north of Dong Dan road. Including Adidas. But I never find the price good enough to buy.
- MacDonalds (go north along Dong Dan) and KFC (go south along Dong Dan) are 10mins walk away. MacDonalds even has home delivery here but I have never tried calling them from hotel room.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Pros: Beautiful hotel. It’s what you would expect from any nice western hotel. Comfortable rooms with comfy beds. Rooms even come with plush sitting chair plus ottoman. TV has all your cable channels including HBO and other movie channels. Buffet breakfast (included in our package) was great. Good selection of Asian foods like Chinese vegetables, baked chicken, and sushi (even for breakfast). They also had a great selection of hearty western foods, which did change daily, like pancakes/French toast/waffles, potato wedges/scallop potatoes/hash browns, and scrambled/poached/hard boiled eggs. I opted for the made-to-order egg station. Dengshikou subway station is located at the entrance of the Regent Hotel, which is right in front of Park Plaza. Also, they have a variety of international plugs. So, no need to buy extra converters. (See attached picture.)

Cons: Hotel has a habit of giving up your room, even if you pay for it in advance, if you check in later in the evening. We were upgraded to a larger room w/ two twin beds the first night. There are temperature controls in the room, but they don’t seem to work. We increased our thermostat to 30C, yet the room was still freezing. My husband and I ended up squeezing into one twin bed to stay warm. It’s nice that they “upgraded” us, but it still doesn’t make up for living out of your suitcase the first night b/c you know you’ll have to pack the next day nor does it make up for finding the time the next day to pack your bags, move to another room, and unpack again. The next day when we were changing rooms, another guest was complaining that their room was not ready or available. I didn’t get the details of her complaint, but did see a pattern with the hotel reservations.

Tips: (1) Print out your own map using Google or some other program to show the cabbies. The map offered on the hotel’s website as well as the business card maps provided at the hotel for cabs both use 6 point font for the Chinese characters. Most of the cab drivers have trouble seeing this, hold the card far from their face to focus, and get all grumpy, which doesn’t help you, especially if you don’t speak Mandarin. See for yourself. Here’s the link to the hotel’s website map: http://www.parkplazadestinationguide.com/locationMap.process/OID_E7F6C665/?hotelCode=CHNBWAN. (2) Following another reviewer’s advice, the hotel’s Chinese name is “Li Ting.” If the cabbies say “Li Jing,” it’s for the Regent, which will also get you to the same block. Once there, just keep repeating “Li Ting, Li Ting” and they’ll eventually see the signs for Park Plaza. (3) Ask for a room facing the courtyard. The courtyard is actually the main entrance, quiet, gorgeous, and overlooks the Regent’s lobby. The street side has a cool view of a local hutong, but all the construction that goes on here seems to dispose their materials in a truck located right outside the hotel starting at 6AM. It’s very loud. Thank goodness we had to get up at 6 for our plans that day. Then, we were moved to our real room. (4) If your flight arrives late in the evening, consider calling in advance to confirm you will be checking in later that night. Even though we paid for the room weeks ago, it didn’t guarantee our room was available.

Even though I’m only giving it 4 out of 5 stars, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple