“Clean and Modest”

Ranked #3,422 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Clean and Modest”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I had a wonderful experience staying at this hotel. I booked this room on Agoda at an extremely low rate and was expecting typical China-style accommodations. I was more than pleasantly surprised with this place! The hotel can be a bit confusing because it is actually several different buildings, and at first I was hesitant as my building was in the back, but it was actually quite nice. I can't be certain but it almost appeared as if my room had been recently remodeled. The floors were nice, clean faux-wood linoleum, the bathroom was spotlessly clean, the beds were clean, the maids came everyday and even straightened our shoes on the floor! If you are an expat on a budget and can book this hotel at a deal then this is the place for you! A certain level of cleanliness is hard to come by in China and this room was up to Western standards in my opinion. While the hotel staff does not speak English, they were great to deal with. I killed my room key twice by touching it to my cellphone, and the receptionists and the housekeepers were both more than willing to assist me both times. The hotel is also directly across the street from the subway line which makes it extremely convenient for transiting and reaching all of Beijing, and its also just outside of the main tourist area so you don't have to worry as much about the crowds (Golden Week anyone?) The only complaint was that I could feel every single spring in the mattress (somewhat expected in China). Great hotel if you can get a deal on the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adrienne D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This hotel was terrible. We arrived about 10pm by which time it was too late to do anything, but we left the next morning as soon as we could find somewhere else. And the hotel was approx £75, so not a budget option!

The room STANK! It was obvious that people were living semi-permanent in the rooms around us and there was an all-pervading smell of cooking grease. The room was also really dirty, with stains to carpets, sheets and the kitchenette. Finally the bathroom flooded as soon as you used the shower, and thus the bathroom smelt of mould. (Girlfriend's mother spent the night with a surgical mask attached, and still suffered from asthma in the dust!)

This was our first experience of mainland China hotels, but having stayed in China 5 weeks this was honestly the worst hotel we had the misfortune to visit; and that being compared to places as little as £5-10 per night.

We moved to the Holiday Inn - not the most exciting choice, but cheaper, clean, quiet and comfortable.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed for 9 nights and I definitely loved it. I found a very cheap deal 28 (AUD) a night on Expedia.
I had a small very clean room with bathroom (standard room) in the building in the courtyard that was very quiet. Everyday the cleaning girls made sure to clean my room and change my towels. The hotel is definitively in a non touristic area and that is why I liked it, so I would not recommend it to people that want to be in more central areas, or to people that want to have "home away" so English TV and English menus. It is close to a very nice restaurant with cheap and tasty local food where the staff has managed to always get my order right even if I don't speak any Chinese. Same for the hotel the staff speaks very little English but I always managed to make my self understood. It is 5 minutes walk from the subway (line 2) and the area around is very interesting especially at night full of people on the street and in front of Bank of China building having dance class. I never felt unsafe and I would recommend it to girls like me travelling alone. I would definitively go back.

Room Tip: If you want a cheap and quiet room select those in the building in the courtyard
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Our main gripe here was with the service. 60mins to check-in (we were unlucky to arrive at the same time as a group but still!). We booked a double but were initially given 2 singles. On raising this at reception, the receptionist was rude and dismissive, and seemed noted at being asked to change the room, even though it was not as requested. The double room we were given instead was just 2 single beds pushed together (never ideal). Room itself was ok, location was ok as it was near chaoyungmen tube station but there was not much around the hotel itself. Would recommend looking elsewhere for accommodation in Beijing.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Rotterdam
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Picked this hotel because of reviews here. I'm a non-smoker and had to change rooms three times before I had a room without too much cigarette scents in it. All rooms are smoking rooms and all rooms are rather dated. The staff was friendly but would not like to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Dimitry O
Sooke, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed here one night with my daughter before catching a train to Liaoning. Overall we were relatively happy despite having been told upon arrival a 600RMB deposit was necessary. Not having hot water for the shower in the morning and a plugged toilet was extremely irritating; however they were quick to respond to the problem. We did find it cold in the room despite the quilts. There were not extra blankets in the room. However, it was centrally located, walking distance to the subway - although not a good idea when carrying luggage.
The restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful; even willing to find vegetarian alternatives for my daughter. We would stay there again just for the convenience and the price - 298RMB including two breakfasts.

Room Tip: Be aware that it seems the lower priced rooms might be on the main floor of Building A; we were put...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel itself is nicely decorated and furnished - the room numbers in the hallways are backlit, for example. It's not grand or luxurious, but it's elegant and presentable.

I stayed in the smallest/most basic option, the economic (or standard?) room. The window was facing another building, and there was only enough room for a bed, small desk, and bathroom + shower. Room comes with basic toiletries, basic slippers, no bottles of water like many places. I stayed only one night, and it was absolutely fine - I paid about $25USD through a special deal on hotels.com and it was definitely worth it.

Location wise, it's no more than 5 minute walk from the #10 subway, and a very short cab ride from Sanlitun, the bar/club distract, so a very convenient place to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo