“cheap, confortable but...”

FuramaXpress Hotel (Beijing Zhong Guan Cun)
Ranked #3,461 of 6,448 Hotels in Beijing
torino
“cheap, confortable but...”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed at FuramaXpress in Zhong Guan Cun for a month. The room was very nice and confortable and confortable, even if an unpleasant smell was always present in the bathroom, Internet was working well, the hotel is quite near to Peking University and two underground stations, a 7eleven and many good and cheap restaurants and it is quite cheap.
BUT...
The rooms are not very clean, the cleaning ladies always use only a dirty mop on the floor and I never saw them with some sort of cleaning bathroom liquid in their hands.
The staff does not speak English, with a few exceptions, that are not always there, and therefore they always try to avoid to talk to you. If you couple it with the Chinese habit not to respect any cue or precedence, that means you have to wait for hours in front of the desk, until any Chinese customer is served, before being able to have an answer, and even then they will try to do everything they can do to avoid to talk to you.
They are also apparently unable to make the simplest thing an hotel should do for you: call you a taxi. So it's up to you to go in the street with your luggages and find one.
Last but not least, they leave they customers to smoke everywhere, elevators included.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank nadia c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am a student staying here for a summer program at Peking University and chose the hotel based on proximity and decent reviews at the time I was booking.

I arrived shortly after noon on a sunday afternoon, and checking in took longer than at any other hotel I've ever been to. There were 2-3 employees at the counter but for some reason, they could not check people in quickly. One Chinese couple came in after me while I was waiting in life and went straight to one of the employees, who helped them without saying anything about how other people were waiting in line to be checked in. Overall checkin took longer than 30 minutes.

The first room I was assigned to reeked of smoke even though I had booked a nonsmoking room, so I went back down to ask for another room. The staff was friendly and obliged. I also asked for someone to help me with luggage, and service was rather good. However, the second room had an odd odor but I was grateful it wasn't smoke so I settled for it.

Throughout my stay, at times there would be a strong smell that came from the pipes or sewer. I complained about it, and they had the floor drains in the bathroom covered with plastic bags filled with water. This seemed to reduce the smell somewhat. However, for whatever reason they removed these on one of the days and the smell was worse than ever. I couldn't stand it anymore and went downstairs to ask for another room. They sent me to two other rooms that were in worse condition (one was a smoking room even though I had asked for a nonsmoking room). These rooms were a different kind from the one I was staying in and paid for. After seeing the second room, I gave up and went back to my room. As I entered my room however, the strange sewer smell was too overpowering. I finally went back downstairs to ask if there was another room similar to the one I was in and if not, whether I could be upgraded and that I was willing to pay extra. The employee I encountered this time was the least helpful and dismissed me after saying there were no available rooms and he didn't know when they would be available. Before I left the counter, he turned his attention to another customer. This made me very unhappy. Despite these experiences, I was still tolerating because the front counter employees previously seemed to at least make an effort. However, this guy was the last straw.

Furthermore, while I was talking to this last employee and explaining that the smell was unbearable, another customer overheard and said that it couldn't be helped because all the rooms smelled like that. This seems to be a recurring problem for many customers, and I'm sure they receive many complaints regarding this issue. This is ridiculous.

After this experience, I would never consider coming back here. While the price was not too expensive and was fairly affordable, what I got was not worth even the price I paid for my 13-night stay. Since I was staying for such a long time, I expected them to help when I had complained so many times about one problem. If you are a summer school student considering this hotel for your stay, I advise you to stay away and book early at the PKU Global Village. My classmates there seem to enjoy it much more than I have this hotel.

Also, taking a taxi to this hotel is the most difficult thing ever. Drivers do not recognize the name of this hotel, and even when you provide them with the address, it is difficult to find. It is also a long walk to the nearest subway station, although there are decent restaurant options in this immediate area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank blissfulting

Travellers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed here with a pre paid booking in September 2012. The pre paid voucher included breakfast for 2 and all taxes and services charges.
At first they refused to accept that the voucher included breakfasts until I asked for a Manager and he then agreed that breakfast was included.
The room we were given was the worst I have ever seen, it was dirty and the shower was broken and lying on the floor.
We were so tired we stayed the night and then the next morning asked for another room, at first they did not agree, but when I insisted that they come and look at the shower they gave us another room.
This room was dirty so we decided that we would not sleep here but sleep at a friend’s unit.
We went to the breakfast room on the first morning but it was so pitiful we went over the road to McDonalds.
This hotel is so dirty and the staff so unhelpful I would not recommend anyone stays here.
As for the breakfast, it is a complete joke.
We paid for 3 nights and only stayed for one, but I could not have spent another night in this dive.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Don022
The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Ok, it is not to expensive, but than not expect much...
small lobby, and counter, staff a little english
Beds are not beds, haha, really your bed is just a
highter lever of concrete in the room with a matrass
open toilet good for a public dump ;-(,
and shower also open with glass, the cleaning is ready
with your room in a flash............ Free net is ok
Breakfast is very poor, also for chinese, western food is
same nothing i bought my ham and cheese in the 7-11 next door !
The location is good, nearby a subway station and shops also for
an evening walk. i saw mostly young people in this hotel, i cant
recommend this for older people. i stayed a small week, and
will never book again.
Greetings A.P.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed at this FX Hotel in August 2010. I arrived early in the morning, and had to wait a couple of hours before my room was ready.

The front desk staff speaks minimal English, but sometimes you can get some help from other guests. The hotel is close to Peking University, so the feeling is international. 7evelen and Watson are just beside the entrance, and represent a great place for Westerners to buy international goods.

The "large" room was big and kept clean, but for sure below Western standards considering hotels of similar class.

The hotel is on the 4th Ring Road, far from city centre, with the subway being about a 15-minute walk.

There are plenty of shops, cafes and restaurants nearby.

I took the taxi twice to get there (1st time from the airport, 2nd time from city centre), and with the exact address plus a map of the neighborhood you should be fine.

My room was in a higher floor, and I had no sleep problems at all.

Recommended if you need to stay close to Peking University and are on a budget.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor.