“not a top somerset........”

Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing
Ranked #542 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed twice on business. I've stayed at other Somersets in China and expected a modern, bright, well-kept serviced apartment. Driving up in a taxi, this feels different. The street in front is very strange. It's divided into separate lanes, but one of the traffic lanes often has cars parked in it. The driveway entrance to the Somerset is not in good shape. The paving is rough, the doormen not always attentive, and you wonder if you've really arrived at a Somerset. The lobby is big, but the furniture is neither stylish nor well placed for conversations or meeting people. The reception staff are pleasant, but it feels like one of the Chinese hotels where they are afraid you will steal things from the room. Going up to the room, the hallway ceilings are low and the decor rather dark. The two-bedroom suite is pleasant, but on the first visit my suite definitely smelled of Chinese cooking oil.
Fortunately there were four packets of instant coffee. I was working in the room one morning and used all of them. Housekeeping came to clean the room while I worked, but I noticed that they didn't leave any coffee packets. The cleaning person was just outside the door, so I asked for coffee....in Chinese. She started to give me two, and I asked for four. She told me quite sternly "two!" Two were all I got. A bit strange?
The breakfast is unappealing and given time I would go out to find a street vendor. Breakfast would work for a three-star Chinese hotel, but definitely nothing to look forward to.
No room service, but they have a large book of take-out menus at the front desk. They will call and place the order and the restaurant will deliver directly to your room.
All in all, it's a bit of a weird place. The standard of the hotel is more reminiscent of a third-tier city in China. For someone who has been traveling in China for more than thirty years, the Somerset Zhongguancun is like a visit to the past.

Room Tip: Only the two-bedroom suites and the largest one-bedroom look out onto Beijing, The two smaller one...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
cindyli2012, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us here. Am thankful to you for drawing attention to those matters which have been of lesser standard. This information will enable us to address and focus on those specifics, better, in order to ensure we get better at them.
Hope that, besides those issues listed, you will provide us the opportunity to welcome you back to the property, soon again.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I have been staying - together with my girlfriend - at this apartment for about 3 months now and we intend to stay here about 1-2 more years. So you can meet me at this spot and tell me where I am too positive in my review - or the other way 'round - I'll show you, why I am right (in my opinion :-) ).

.:General impression:.
Very spacious, modern extremely well in shape furniture and technical equipment. We have an appartment with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and one working room, but there are different sizes. They have very high quality water taps (manufacturer "Grohe") and bathroom equipment, which works perfectly well and very reliable. I have seen far worse equipment in different hotels of the same or higher level.

.:Room:.
The rooms are equipped with a kitchen, a living room, sometimes a working room and 1-2 bed rooms and 1-2 bathrooms. All rooms are in perfect shape, all electronics/lights/... are working well and the general condition is perfect. The kitchen is equipped quite well with a gas stove (3 platters), an oven, a microwave and a fridge including a separate freezer compound. They have all pans, cookers, silverwear, ... already there so you are set to go and start cooking/making breakfast/... . As mentionend in a another review, the tapped water is not drinkable, but they have a filter which we use basically for making soups, souces, ... .
As you can see on the pictures, they have a large flat screen television and a stereo including a Sub in the living room. Very good quality and perfectly working. You get some movie channels and also some international news channels and stuff - absolutely perfect for being abroad.
Some rooms also have a small balcony (I think the larger ones), which is quite nice for enjoying the sun; remember: Beijing lies on the same latitude as Rome and NYC.

.:The hotel:.
The whole hotel is extremely clean and modern looking. All technical facilities are well maintained and always clean.
Even if there should be any concern, the staff is with you within 'seconds'.
The whole staff speaks a very good English and they have some 'special' persons, who are perfectly fluent speaking English (hint: if you should have a complicated issue, ask for 'Charlie').

.:Facilities:.
They have a very good equipped fitness center (3 treadmills, 2 bikes, 1 cross-trainer, several weights, butterfly, chest press and many others) as well as perfect swimming pool for doing some early sport / evening workout. The pool is sized 12x20m and it has a perfect shape for do some swimming or just playing around in the water. The water is not smelling at all (you might fear this when thinking of China), it is very clean and also the changing rooms are quite well. As usual in China (and in the States) there are water dispensers everywhere, so you don't need to fear getting thirsty. All facilities are open 6:30 - 22:00 o'clock which is very convinient and should fit for everyone.

.:Staff:.
Unlike to other comments, we are extremely happy with our room service. You might take into consideration, that this is a SERVICED apartment and not a 'regular' hotel. In my opinion cleaning the apartment (it's more than just 'a room') twice a week is absolutely sufficient. Once they come, they do a perfect job and I always especially enjoy coming home when they were there. The even always arrange our teddys in a very sweet way.

.:Location:.
Located in the 'Silicon Valley' of Bejing, you're surrounded by modern skyscrapers with lots of glass and steel. A lot shopping and dinning spots are nearby. Besides also the both 'Great Universities' of Beijing (Bei Da Xue / Beijing University and Tsinghua University) are quite close, there's often some guests staying for these institutions.
There are also two important subway lines nearby.
One is line 10 (next station: Suzhoujie, about 200m) and the other one is line 4 (next station: 'HaidianHuanZhuang', about 500m). The line 10 is very convient to get to the eastern part of the city (financial, SoHo district / this is the cultural 'Western' part) as well as to the airport (SanYuanQiao, airport express). Either by subway or by taxi, it takes you about 50 min to the airport. A taxi charges +/- 90 Yuan, while the subway will cost you 2 Yuan (subway) + 25 Yuan (airport express) per persion; remember that there can be up to 3 persons in a taxi, so this might sometimes be the same price but more convinient (if you don't get stuck in a traffic jam). The line 4 will get you quite fast to the inner city or to the somer palace; Fragrant Hill will also be connected by subwy in the future. There are also a lot of different bus lines, but this takes a little bit more effort to know where which bus is driving. It takes you approximately 30 min by subway to LiangMaQiao which represents the 'entry gate' to Sanlitun, the commercial and 'western style' area in Beijing.
As other users mentionend, try to get a subway pass, which can be also used at bakeries, buses and KFC for payment. It is far more convinient and very reliable. I think they sell them at almost every subway station.

.:Shopping:.
Right next door is a 7-11 convenience store and a copy shop. There are several smaller shops 'round the corner. Among them is a fruit shop, a flower shop, a newspaper stand, a DairyQueen, a KFC and a Weidomé bakery. In a short distance there's also a coldstone and a large Carrefour (compare it with Wal-Mart) supermarket for your daily needs. There are also some upper level shopping and fashion stores, but they are quite pricy. Go to some markets to do cheap shopping!

.:Dining:.
There are some very good restaurants down a larger street which is just about 50m away and there is a Thai, a pizza hut, a pasta place and several other restaurants around the spot. Hint: they have an order book at the reception, which shows you either things/dishes that can be ordered to your room, but also the menus of restaurants nearby - go check that out! In the area there is also a lot restaurants located around WuDaoKou; you might want to check out one of the best Hindu restaurants I know (Ganges, U-Center/5F, WuDaoKou).

.:Internet:.
The internet on the room is, unlikely to the standard Chinese internet, working extremely realiable and also very fast (I reached more than 2 MByte/s (that is about 25 000 kbit/s!) on an oversea connection). Of course there might be smaller performance problems, but they occure quite seldom and are usually fixed within minutes. I call Germany regularly via VoIP/SIP without any quality issue.
You should keep in mind, that qq.com, Microsoft and baidu.com is around the corner, so I bet, there is a very good internet-node/backbone there. If it's you first time to China, you should keep in mind, that facebook and youtube are not available and some other sites (googe plus, picasa, ...) might be partly restricted. Besides that, the whole internet is accessible - of course sometimes with longer response times.

Room Tip: Larger rooms might have a balcony, you might ask for this while booking. Generally all apartments ar...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank _0_JohnnyB_
cindyli2012, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience at Somerset ZhongGuanCun Beijing.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Modern and relatively clean building, though shoddy Chinese construction work and sub-standard materials are starting to show. Carpets in the apartments are of the industrial variety and have seen better days. In-room kitchens are furnished with all necessary utensils, a full gas stove and even an oven.

Food: I only had breakfast, but the food was decent, though the breakfast venue is a cramped converted guest apartment, albeit a large one. Selection is decent with a mix of western and eastern choices, and a noticeable absence of a surly egg cook!

There is a wifi router in each room with decent signal. Must've been a recent addition given earlier comments about poor connections.

As mentioned in previous comments, the Somerset is within a one-mile radius of many shopping malls and western chains (food, retail) should that tickle your fancy.

NOT recommended for tourists due to its distance from most attractions.

Note to business travelers: despite the Somerset's proximity to a major road, it is NOT possible to hail a cab from the hotel due to its secluded location off of a small side street. At 0730 on a Monday morning, it took two staff 40 minutes to find a cab willing to drive me 5km. Ah, the joys of Beijing cabbies who can be ridiculously selective with the fares they pick up. Best to book a cab the night before, and leave no later than 0700 to avoid the notorious Beijing rush hour. My 5km drive took 25 minutes. Were it not for the rainy weather, I could've walked in the time it took me to hail a cab and make the trip to the client's venue.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dub L
cindyli2012, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

But, there are still something to be better improved, we will take more action as your positive suggestion to diversify our food species and care more about our landmark to be clearly designed and noted to guest.

Yours sincerely

Charlie

Reviewed 5 February 2013

Very comfortable and calm, in a city that can be anything but at times. Kind and attentive staff, with large rooms and a nice breakfast. If you are doing business in the specific area I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
cindyli2012, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear guest,
It was a great pleasure having you stay at Somerset ZhongGuanCun Beijing and thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay experience with us.We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we are happy to have met your expectations in service and quality standards. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.Once again, thank you for your valued patronage. From all of us at Somerset ZhongGuanCun Beijing, we look forward to welcoming you again at any one of our serviced residences.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

This is an excellent serviced apartment for business travellers. It is within walking distance to Haidian Huangzhuang MRT (Line 4 and Line 10) and Suzhoujie MRT (Line 10), is in the heart of Zhongguancun, Beijing's Silicon Valley, and is very near to Carrefour and a good range of restaurants.
I like the individual wireless internet for each room and plenty of spaces to work. There is also a washing machine, dryer and iron, which makes in perfect for staying an extended period of time.
The breakfast is not to my liking though - it is the usual "China international" spread which is much more Chinese than international.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
cindyli2012, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am so happy to know that you had a very comfortable and enjoyable staying with us, we will keep it up and it is our purpose to make every guest staying at Somerset ZhongGuanCun feeling at home.meanwhile i noticed that our breakfast quality can not meet your request. we will take your suggestion and draw out the improvement plan.we are looking forward to your next coming.giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

These apartment rooms are just beautiful. Very modern, clean, large and a tremendous bargain. The hotel is right in the Haidian District with upscale shops, electronics stores, restaurants and near (1 mile) Beijing University, where we were conducting business.

Travel is so easy here. A taxi ride from Beijing Train Station South was about US$13. The subway -- very clean and cheap -- was just a few blocks away -- both lines 4 and 10. So, you can just hop on the subway for about 33 cents and go into the city, over to the Olympics complex or north to the university or just a bit farther to the Summer Palace.

Though the city is huge and traffic is crazy, the people were so friendly here. It seemed more like a small town than huge city.

The breakfast was included with our room -- a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment with huge scenic windows. It was very good and with a great selection and a gentleman cooking eggs to order.

The front desk folks were so friendly and helpful.

The indoor pool was nice, clean and empty of people.

A very nice Haidian Christian Church is about 1/2 mile north of the hotel and it has some contemporary Christian services in English/Mandarin. It was packed with standing-room only, so arrive early.

We traveled to the Great Wall at Mutianyu rather than Badaling. Mutianyu is a little more rugged, steep, etc., but there were very few people there, just us in photos. I hear that Badaling is very crowded, but more convenient from Beijing.

We would absolutely stay here again -- and we will -- and enthusiastically recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank KCTravelers50
cindyli2012, Manager at Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Greeting from Somerset ZhongGuanCun Beijing and thank you very much for choosing here as your prefered serviced residence to stay. We are so delighted to receive your valuable feedback and feel happy to know that you and your family really had a very enjoyable and comfortable staying with us. Meanwhile, I am really appreciated to know that you give such a clear explaination and description to our hotel value and surrandings. it is our propose to make every guest who staying here feel at home, free breathing. we will keep going, your valued feedback is the greatest present given to us. on behalf on all the staff of Somerset ZhongGuanCun Beijing, we are looking forward to your next coming in the near future. Wish you all the best.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

My wife and I have stayed in this apartment hotel on many occasions. In August we were taking our neighbours on a trip around China and began our tour in Beijing. The Somerset Zhongguancun was the obvious choice and did not disappoint. We shared two bedroom apartments and had comfort, space and opportunity for the seven of us to gather, plan and enjoy sharing our experiences in comfortable living rooms.

The location is good because it is so near the excellent and very inexpensive Beijing subway system. It is also in the high tech and university district of Beijing. The staff are helpful, professional and very competent. The facilities and furnishings are well maintained but are beginning to show their age.

We look forward to returning to this hotel when we are next in Beijing. It continues to be a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends