I stayed twice on business. I've stayed at other Somersets in China and expected a modern, bright, well-kept serviced apartment. Driving up in a taxi, this feels different. The street in front is very strange. It's divided into separate lanes, but one of the traffic lanes often has cars parked in it. The driveway entrance to the Somerset is not in good shape. The paving is rough, the doormen not always attentive, and you wonder if you've really arrived at a Somerset. The lobby is big, but the furniture is neither stylish nor well placed for conversations or meeting people. The reception staff are pleasant, but it feels like one of the Chinese hotels where they are afraid you will steal things from the room. Going up to the room, the hallway ceilings are low and the decor rather dark. The two-bedroom suite is pleasant, but on the first visit my suite definitely smelled of Chinese cooking oil.
Fortunately there were four packets of instant coffee. I was working in the room one morning and used all of them. Housekeeping came to clean the room while I worked, but I noticed that they didn't leave any coffee packets. The cleaning person was just outside the door, so I asked for coffee....in Chinese. She started to give me two, and I asked for four. She told me quite sternly "two!" Two were all I got. A bit strange?
The breakfast is unappealing and given time I would go out to find a street vendor. Breakfast would work for a three-star Chinese hotel, but definitely nothing to look forward to.
No room service, but they have a large book of take-out menus at the front desk. They will call and place the order and the restaurant will deliver directly to your room.
All in all, it's a bit of a weird place. The standard of the hotel is more reminiscent of a third-tier city in China. For someone who has been traveling in China for more than thirty years, the Somerset Zhongguancun is like a visit to the past.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Somerset ZhongGuanCun is in the heart of Beijing’s prime high technology zone. It is close to offices, retail malls, the Tsinghua, Renmin and Peking universities, Haidian Theatre and Medical Centre. Somerset ZhongGuanCun offers a warm and stylish home with many recreational facilities and business support services. Its one and two-bedroom apartments feature a spacious living/dining room, fully-equipped kitchen, home entertainment system and high speed broadband access. A video intercom system and 24-hour securities provide a secure living environment. Doing business at the residence is easy with the wireless internet (WiFi) zones and efficient Business Centre. Somerset ZhongGuanCun is ideal for utives and their families looking for a balanced and enriching lifestyle. Enjoy the swimming pool, gym, Jacuzzi and sauna rooms. Join in the networking gatherings, city explorations and sports activities. Experience Somerset’s signature Heartware service – always caring and striving to exceed your expectations. We appreciate your individuality and tailor the residence to your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerset Zhongguancun Beijing Hotel Beijing
- Somerset Zhongguancun Hotel Beijing