“Helpful & Friendly Staff”

The Westin Beijing Financial Street
Ranked #23 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Houston, Scotland
“Helpful & Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Good Hotel in a quite area of town felt safe and escaped from the noise of other areas. Pool etc was a good size and had good gym equip. Staff were very friendly and translated our destinations to taxi drivers. Taxi ride needed to visit all sights but cost never more than £3 in city or more than 1/2 hours travel. Did not use hotel for meals as they were very expensive. A short walk away there are Chinese and Western Restaurants. All good value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Madrid
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Picture this if you may. You're sitting at an airport late afternoon where the temperatures inside the building are at a searing 37 C, no aircon inside the entire building, your flight has just been marked as "delayed" for the third time that afternoon, you ask around and no one has a clue when your flight is going to depart, then, 4 hours later, you finally board the plane, and as soon as it pushes back from the gate, they tell you it's delayed AGAIN and that they're going to shut off the electricity (including the A/C) to "conserve energy".....
Sound familiar ? What sort of a mood would that put you in if you had to go through this ?
Well, that's what happened to me at the tail end of my last trip, which didn't go well for 3 days, so you can imagine that by the time our flight finally landed in Beijing, all sorts of things were going through my head ... Hotel car won't be waiting, checkin is going to go badly, I mean, seriously, bad things come in 3s.... and I was expecting nothing but the worst...
Well :
As soon as we left the jetway, the hotel rep was standing there right at the gate, took our hand luggage, walked us to the baggage claim area, picked up all our luggage, took us straight to the waiting car, which whisked us straight to the hotel...
At the hotel, I took a short breath before I went through the door... And... the hotel receptionist was waiting at the door collected our passports and...within 2 minutes, my room was upgraded to an executive suite, my colleagues were all checked in, and we were in an elevator on the way up to the room....
By the way, this was a VERY sharp contrast to my previous experience at this hotel.
OK, so to this point, I'm impressed....REALLY impressed, as this is the Westin Experience I had learned to get used to.
There was a bowl of fruit on the table, water, and ... here's the interesting part, the A/C was set to the temperature of my preference...
Next morning, breakfast in the lounge was a truly amazing and relaxing experience... The rooms manager checked in with us to see if all was well (we had no reason to complain). We had a MAJOR event for our group at this hotel... Do you know how long it took for them to throw it all together (to the media's satisfaction)...24 hours... and they did a PERFECT job.

In short, one negative experience should not destroy your stay, talk to the right people, they can and will make a difference. Address your concerns logically and chronologically, hopefully you'll enjoy your experiences as much as we did !

May is the rooms manager there, she does nothing less than an amazing job. I recommend you talk to her if you have any problems in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Renewal_Trip, Manager at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
On behalf of the entire team at The Westin Beijing Financial Street, thank you so much for taking the time to share the details of your recent visit to our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay.

Your comfort and satisfaction are very important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

***The Westin Beijing Financial Street will ensure you leave feeling rested, energized, enriched, and renewed.***
Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 August 2010

If you are looking for a place with comfortable beds this is the place for you! The Westin has heavenly beds (that is what it is known for). The club has a nice children's playroom as well as a relaxing pool. The pool contains one jacuzzi by the pool and another in the wet room. There are three restaurants, we never went to the Chinese one though. One is an Italian called Prego. The other is called Senses, it serves breakfast and buffets. The food was very good.

• Stayed July 2010
asf
Reviewed 24 June 2010

They just cannot stop calling your number to hard sell. Becareful of giving your contact information to starwood hotels in China. Imagine one of those roadside hustlers bugging you by phone everyday... the latest is a RMB 2188 membership card, short of calling me an idiot for not wanting to get one and not comprehending that the customer is trying to hold a meeting on his end of the phone, so they call 1 minute later to do the same thing over.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank asdfs
manipal
Reviewed 24 June 2010

It was very nice. Longue is excellent. Felt homely. Very centrally located. People are courteous and service is very good.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
seattle
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Can't say I wold necessarily stay there when you can find chinese accomodations at a great price but we were using credit card points so it was wll worth the $50/night charge. Nice high quality room. I really like having english speaking conciere to give us directions or write in chinese characters instructions to where we wanted to go and how to get back. We got to "the" dim sum restaurant (under $10 for two) with out any problem and the staff also arranged for a private car to the great wall as I did not want to do the bus tour that took all day and made some side stops that I was not interested in. We were helped with where to eat table carved peking duck. Duck was the only thing that cost at $20 for a half. We got directions to all of the shopping buildings from the conciere and figered out the subway where we could as they are really cheap like 25 cents..

We did not eat at the hotel. Most of the time we were out and about and ate where it looked good. Near the hotel is a mall with a food court with cheap chinese eats. Chow fun noodles for a mere $3 bucks. I can't see how the mall stays open as I only saw a couple of folks shopping and a whole lot of staff with nothing to do. Maybe it was all show for the Olympics. Many of the office building were empty in this finincial district. I think all the business is in Shanghai. There also were a number of restaurants a couple of blocks away under $12 for two. The only thing that seemed expensive was Starbucks.

There is a subway stop a few blocks away but most of the time we caught a cab. Cabs that wanted a "special" tourist fare we avoided. Just don't look for a cab during rush hour.

Six months later I came back with my daughter so she could shop. Don't pay more than $10 for anything in the building. Very entertaining barganing. I should open an auto dealership and hire all of the purse sellers to make the deals.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
waterloo
Reviewed 18 June 2010

So I brought my wife with me on my business trip so we could travel after my 1 week business was over.

For the 1200 RMB I paid online, I was put into their short term residence wing, which was nice, the room was a suite with a full size kitchen, frig, microwave, and even washer/dryer.

The service was very nice, everyone was very friendly and eager to help with directions/bookings.

First the negatives:

-it's china, so everyone smokes, the main lobby hosts a bar, so walking thru main lobby was like walking through the smoking section, dense nicotine filled air... not nice for non smokers.

-the thermostat in the room was crazy, we set it for 20C but once it reaches 20C, the AC would turn off, so middle of the night, the room would be boiling hot and I'd had to turn it off and on again to get the AC to cycle back on. Complained and they claim to have fixed it but it was not fixed.

-I'm from NA, so the bed was obviously hard, not the "SPG Heavenly" beds that I'm used to, but I think that's an Asian thing since almost all hotels we stayed in Asia had hard beds.

-probably the worst thing about this hotel is the location, it's not close to the subway, about 15-20min walk, and there is nothing around, there are a few restaurants, but nothing else. It's the financial district so I expected as much. Good for business hotel, not good for leisure stay.

-lastly, during my stay May 22-29, there was construction outside the hotel, 24hrs a day!!! even at 3am... luckily I had my ear plugs...

I originally had a 1.5week booking at this hotel, but checked out after 1 week due to the inconvenience.

The good:

-very friendly staff
-the breakfast buffet was probably one of the best if not the best during my 3 weeks in China, very good variety and tasted good
-not too expensive for what you get
-decent work out facilities
-free wireless internet in the rooms

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business