“Luxury and location”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #28 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 10 November 2011

While this is not an inexpensive hotel by Beijing standards, it is not unreasonable by US standards. You may want to check rates through an Asian travel agency rather than going through the hotel's website to get the best rate.

The staff does speak very good English if you are not able to say more than "ni hao" in Chinese. Sleeping rooms are large, comfortable, well equipped, beautifully decorated. The fitness center and pool are very good. The breakfast and dinner buffets are superb, with an astounding variety of hot and cold foods, cooked to order foods, fresh foods, food to suit vegans and carnivores alike no matter what your favorite cuisine.

The location is perfect for walking to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. It is near the subway for traveling further, and on a main street serviced by many taxis (the main means of travel for many tourists).

Do not confuse the Raffles Beijing Hotel with the Beijing Hotel next door!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,741)

Reviewed 4 November 2011

I am a huge fan of the Raffles Singapore property, as well as the Raffles properties in Cambodia. Each of these hotels set the standard for gracious hospitality in these exotic locales. During a recent business trip to Beijing, I therefore was very eager to stay at the Raffles Beijing. This particular property is not at all what I had expected. Indeed, very little of the historic charm is evident outside of the main lobby. In fact, most rooms are in a separate building which you access through a very sterile, cold, corporate office type of walkway. The rooms are modern, undistinguished and nothing I found special. The service is friendly, and accomodating. The food at the breakfast buffet was plentiful and good. The location of this property, just steps from Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City, as well as shopping, are unbeatable. Location is a major plus. Finally, let me note that the Club floor was simply awful. The promise of soda, beer and cookies, as well as snacks during cocktail hour were one of my biggest disappointments. The cookies were absolutely disgusting, and stale, and the selection of food was just awful. Thank goodness there was free soda and beer, but the cold sterile environment of this facility made me seek escape each time I visited (always hoping, but never finding the hospitality I was seeking). On my next visit to Beijing, I will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Worldtraveler68
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Fantastic location just a short walk from Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City. Great facilities, good restaurants, excellent service. Very accommodating of our two young children too.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms and both were spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I was in Beijing on business for six days in October 2011 where I stayed five nights at Raffles Beijing (33 Chang Ave). The lobby is luxurious with beautiful marble from floor to ceiling, 19th century furniture, chandeliers, comfortable leather seating, and 24 hour tea service. The suite was very large and spacious with a separate conversation area, king size bed, and large bathroom. The room was fully stocked with anything a traveller could need. The hotel staff was friendly at all times. Communication was not a problem as the english-speaking Aussie/Euro management team was attentive to all of our needs. The hotel's fleet of cars were useful for excursions and the trip to the airport (Y600). I spent most of my time in the hotel lobby hosting meetings, and I noticed that deals were in constant motion all around me. I imagine it felt like the US at the turn of the 20th century during the industrial revolution. If the Raffles Ambassador, John Spooner, joins you for a drink and chat in the lobby, you know you are on the "A-list" in Beijing.

Room Tip: get a suite...6511 was great!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We stay here often and are greeted by name sometimes when we arrive. Located between the Forbidden City/Tianamen Square and the shopping mecca of Fangfuging St. it is the best location possible. We enjoy foot massages at the spa but the full body massages are a bit pricey which is about the only negative item I can think of. Be warned that the government decides when heat will be supplied to the rooms during Oct, but the hotel will supply an electric heater that works well. We have been all over China and the Raffles has the best breakfast buffet we have ever had in China.

Room Tip: Building 7 has modern furnishings and Building 6 has the classic furniture. Both are excellent.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My parents came to Beijign to visit me and my Mother really wanted to do the high tea at the Raffels, so she could tell her friends back home. I arranged it and we went today. Monday October ten.

We were very disappointed! We are just normal working class people and I have seen my grandmother put out a better high tea spread than what the Raffels gave us. Basically three sandwhiches cut into nine rectangles. The bread was very dry and the fillings bland and not one bit of salad.... I mean come on. Three hungry people and you serve three sandwhiches cut into stupid boring rectangles? They were demolished in three seconds. So much for the relaxation part of eating and enjoying. Then came the scones and cakes which were nice, but then we just thought, thats it... Finish these then go. I ordered coffee and my parents had tea, but when I wanted to taste their tea and asked for a new cup, they would not give me one but said they could give me some water to rinse my coffee cup out. Eh??? And they always topped us our tea pot with hot water but never once asked if we needed more mik or sugar...... Cant think of much more to say exept they really need to rethink there whole high tea service....... Its a complete joke! Sorry Raffels.

High tea should be a non stop service of sandwhiches, scones, cakes and biscuits and flowing tea and coffee until the guests tell you they have had enough.....

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank gerry b
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We spent 2 nights here with my husband and another couple. Our rooms were nice, big and clean and I would like to mention here the extremely comfortable beds! The decor of the hotel and the room was beautiful, well, I was totally impressed. Breakfast buffet was also excellent, with local and European specialties.

The area is safe and close to everything (Forbidden City, Tienanmen Square, etc.). It was worth the price well!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple