“A simply outstanding hotel, incredible rooms and superb service”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #23 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
London
“A simply outstanding hotel, incredible rooms and superb service”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We booked 3 nights at the Raffles Beijing at the end of our 3 week honeymoon on the Trans-Siberian Railway from London to Beijing. Upon arrival we were shown up to our room which was an upgrade from the Landmark Suite we had booked to a simply outstanding Dynasty Suite. It was elegant and romantic, with its own living room, 2 bathrooms, a study, kitchen and large master bedroom.
We enjoyed afternoon tea in the Writers Bar, and it was delicious. On another evening we had a couple of Beijing Slings - a must when at the Raffles!!
The location was ideal, within 5 minutes of Tiananmen Square and close to the Metro to get to other locations. It was a haven to return to after a day sightseeing in the hot busy city of Beijing.
We booked a private tour to the Great Wall via the hotel and the concierge couldn't have been more helpful. The trip was excellent and brilliantly organised.
We had breakfast twice in the hotel restaurant, and it was varied and tasty. You could pretty much have whatever your heart desired. We also ordered breakfast in our Suite one morning and it was delicious.
I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough, it was absolutely fantastic, and an ideal way to end our honeymoon.

1 Thank The2explorers28
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your kind letter and the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for you staying with us. At Raffles our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home and create an “oasis for the well travelled”. We are committed to delight our guests every day; continually getting better to keep us the best.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations, that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to help making your honeymoon an unforgettable experience.

We will certainly share your report with all our colleagues and we are convinced that accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

Matthias Al-Amiry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Raffles last weekend through National Day.
The streets were packed with Chinese tourists that visited Beijing for the holiday and it was a salvation to go back to our retreat- a suite at the Raffles after a day in this amazing but hectic city.
The Executive room was actually a suite with a huge bedroom, a living room and a perfect bathroom (his and hers sinks, spacious shower, bath and toilettes).
Bed and beddings were heavenly; bathroom amenities were very generous and completed every day. Every afternoon they entered the room to tidy it again (!) and set the "evening layout" – take off the bed cover and put the sleepers on a white cloth at each side of the bed…
All staff members spoke perfect English and were very attentive to every wish and question we had.
The Raffles location is perfect- a 5 minute walk to the center of Wanfujing shopping street and 10 minutes walk to Tiananmen and the Forbidden City. The subway is 2 minutes walk away and this is very important since Beijing streets are huge and you need transportation to get to most of the attractions and markets.
The reception's service was impeccable – on checkout we mentioned that my husband was very disappointed with the foot massage at the hotel's spa and they immediately refunded us.
The reception also provides exchange services at bank rates so it is preferable to do it here.

We plan to visit Beijing again in the future and this is the hotel we will always stay in.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your comments and the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our facilities and services such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations and that our team was able to attend to your wishes and needs at all times.

Thank you very much again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This is a top rating hotel with all the characteristics of a 5star L. Despite that some of the common areas are not as L as you would expect. The spa is in a dark basement, the gym has no windows and light from inside. The Reception and the rest for breakfast are quite nice. Rooms are very large but again some details must be takern care. wi fi didn't work for a full morning and if you are on a business trip this affects your day. Personell and service are not more than average. Some more work to do!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ziocut
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Beijing. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We very much appreciate your kind comments regarding our reception and East 33 our all-day-dining restaurant.

On the other hand, we were disappointed to learn how you felt about “In One Spa”. The Spa is located right next to our Raffles Amrita Gym in the atrium that connects our heritage building with the auxiliary wing. However, Raffles does not operate the Spa. “In One Spa” is just like the Japanese restaurant on the first floor a tenant of the atrium building and services provided are not under our control. We will certainly share your experience and disappointment with the Spa operator. The gym however, is operated by Raffles and it features a wide glass front which opens up to the attached atrium and allows direct day light to shine in through the glass atrium roof.

We also noted your remarks regarding the design of our rooms. The heritage building comprises of 94 colonial style rooms and suites which compliment the design and historical feel of the Lobby, Reception and Writer’s Bar the 77 rooms located in the auxiliary building are contemporary designed rooms. This gives our guests the option to stay in rooms of their personal taste and preference.

Once again, thank you very much for your report.

Japan
Reviewed 2 October 2012

If you're used to the usual Raffles Hotel standard, adjust your expectations. Save for a few managers, some of the concierge staff and John the ambassador, you'll be met with some really rude service (I was in room 63XX and my first instincts were to go to the 6th floor. Later found out that 6 indicates the building - there are 2 I believe and 3 is the floor #. When I told the front desk I had difficult finding the room, she glared at me, turned around to her colleague, subtle shook her head in exasperation and told her colleague to send me up. I mean come on, I don't think I'm the only "idiot" going to the 6th floor since the room number begins with a 6th and no need to be so condescending. Just tell me it's on the 3rd floor for goodness sakes!). The car service booked for me was also inconsistent with what the hotel promised. Even through the hotel said the driver would bring me to the Bird's Nest after the Great Wall, when we got to the BIrd's Nest, the driver merely wound down the windows, slowed down and ordered me to snap the photos. When I insisted on getting down, he said I had to poay additional fees. The room on my first night was freezing cold and shockingly painful to spend the first night. Cleaning staff was prompt to blame it on the "old building". Come on. Cynthia the manager was very attentive and offered great service and did in fact try to rectify situation by place us in a different room. But a few good managers here and there is really just not enough to sustain the Raffles name and keep a hotel feeling like it's worthy of its 5/6 stars. They are good at "reactive service" ie. cleaning up the mess vs. the pre-emptive service which is to make you feel like a guest in a Raffles Hotel from the beginning. Hotel location is a short walk to Tiananmen and Forbidden City. All said, save your money, skip this and spend it elsewhere. You're not missing much.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank thislittlemmm
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and we appreciate you having taken the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. Only by candid comments such as yours we are able to improve our service and facilities.

We were thrilled to read your positive comments about Cynthia our Front Office Manager and John Spooner our Raffles Ambassador. We will share your remarks with both of them and are certain that accolades such as yours will encourage Cynthia and John to further improve their services.

On the other hand we were disappointed to read that you did not feel the same about some other colleagues of ours and that you felt we were more reactive rather than pro-active. I have discussed your report with my Executive team as well as with our Training Manager and we will immediately start a re-training program on Raffles Fundamentals and service standards in order to prevent similar guest experiences from happening.

Once again, thank you very much for your candid report.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My friend and I visited Beijing in August 2012 and stayed at the Raffles Hotel. The location of this hotel was perfect. It was only about 100 metres from the Forbidden City and it was central to transport and all other amenities. The room was spacious and the staff were exceptional and helped us greatly to plan our holiday and were particularly helpful assisting us with translations. The concierge desk and staff were the best of any hotel I've ever stayed at.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing as well as for your feedback following your recent stay. We very much appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Here at Raffles we strive for being an “oasis for the well-travelled” by creating emotional luxury. We agree that location and the condition of facilities are extremely important to our guests but we also believe that in the end it is the personal touches that make the difference.

The biggest compliment certainly is that you felt our Concierge staff is the best you ever experienced. Thank you very much again for sharing your thoughts.

Kindest regards,

Scotland
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I stayed here in September 2012. The stay got off to a great start with an upgraded room to a suite which was among the best rooms we have ever had. We also met with John Spooner the Raffles ambassador who was very friendly and helpful and provided a lot of very useful advice about how to get about Beijing, local amenities etc. The hotel is very well situated within walking distance of the major attractions. There were a few drawbacks, which did dent the experience. We had picked Raffles because it had a swimming pool. it does, but it is controlled by a state run hotel to which Raffles is attached. It was cold but more importantly was pretty grubby. We had hoped to relax after hard days sightseeing but did not repeat our first experience of it. The other (minor) disappointment was the breakfast which was extensive, but apart from the eggs to order service the supposedly hot buffet was largely lukewarm or cold. I largely stuck to the cold items...which as i say were extensive and fresh.

3 Thank Scotlandhappygolucky
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for you staying with us and I would also like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and your positive comments regarding the hospitality and friendliness of our colleagues. We were delighted to learn that you felt the hotel is located in the right area and that you enjoyed the personalized services our Raffles Ambassador John Spooner, his team and all our colleagues extended to you. We will share your remarks with John and all our staff and we know that comments and accolades such as yours will encourage them to further enhance their services.

On the other hand, we were disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with the pool. As mentioned in several responses on TripAdvisor I again would like to stress that Raffles unfortunately does not operate the pool. The pool is operated by a third party and services provided are beyond our control. This should not be an excuse but just an apology for the disappointing experience you had. We will share your experience and disappointment with the pool operator and insist that their service levels improve immediately.

We also noted your remarks regarding the hot items on the breakfast buffet and will discuss this issue with our Executive Chef in order for him to correct the challenges.

Once again thank you very much for staying at Raffles and for your feedback.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 27 September 2012

First the positives
1) John Spooner- the Raffles ambassador- met us on arrival, gave us lots of useful information, was always around checking that the guests were OK. This man deserves a medal and every hotel should have a John Spooner
2) the situation- an easy walk to the Forbidden city and right beside the efficient metro
3) the room- lovely old style room with a sense of history
The negatives
1) the swimming pool- a big negative for us. We enjoy a swim after a hard day's city sightseeing. The Raffles one looked inviting. To me it was cold but that's a question of taste and very dirty which meant we only used it once in a 5 day stay. I now know the pool is not managed by Raffles. The pool lets the brand name down and they would be better without a pool IMO
2) the breakfast- yes you can get anything you want and many things you haven't thought of but much of it was lukewarm. I had booked the exec floor as we generally prefer a quiet lighter breakfast in the exec. lounge but that wasn't available- not a major issue
3) the free internet was very slow. We thought that might just be China but wasn't a problem in subsequent hotels
So would I stay again? I think the positives just outweigh the negatives but might try for a place with a better swimming pool

3 Thank Edinburghtraveller
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and your positive comments regarding the hospitality and friendliness of our colleagues. Your positive remarks addressed to John Spooner we will certainly share with him and we are certain accolades such as yours will encourage him to further improve his services.

On the other hand, we were disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with the pool. The pool is located right next to our Raffles Amrita Gym in the atrium that connects our heritage building with the auxiliary wing. As mentioned in several responses on TripAdvisor I once again would like to stress that Raffles unfortunately does not operate the pool. The pool is just like the Japanese restaurant and “In One Spa” a tenant of a third party operator and services provided are beyond our control. This should not be an excuse but just an apology for the disappointing experience you had. We will certainly share your experience and disappointment with the pool operator and insist that their service levels improve immediately.

We also noted your remarks regarding the slow internet which should not be the case since we have just recently upgraded the system. I will discuss this issue with our IT Manger and be assured we will correct it.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback. Only by candid comments such as yours we are able to improve our services.