“Sage and Julia are priceless to Raffles”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #26 of 6,563 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked two executive rooms for 3 night for my family of 5. We arrived at 6am after a long flight from the uk and was given a lovely room to relax in whilst our rooms was made available. We had a nap and a shower and was then shown to our new rooms on the executive floor which is out the back of the main building (all connected).
After a long hard day sightseeing we retired to the executive lounge for cocktails and eats to be met by Sage and Julia who not only got us everything we wanted but also became friends and helped us with sightseeing and food decisions.
On our second day we witnessed the terrible incident in Tiananmen Square which shook all the family up but upon returning to our hotel sage was there to meet us and quickly got us all a drink and chatted to us about going to the Great Wall the next day.
The hotel was very nice and very central for everything. The rooms and breakfast are first class. The swimming pool area was a big let down for us with very little warmth in the building and having to wear bathing hats every time you entered the water.. No thanks.
Taxi from the airport was 135 yuan but it's hard to get passed the rip off men, but persevere. Some taxis were asking for 5 times the correct amount so just ask for the meter to be switched on.
In conclusion, Raffles was a lovely place and if you can afford the step up I would definitely recommend the executive package, even if it's just to meet Sage,Julia and the other lovely staff in the lounge.
Thanks again Raffles from the Griffiths family

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Griffiths family,

We would like to thank you and your family for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing. We very much appreciate you having taken the time to submit your detailed report about your experience to TripAdvisor.

What you have described in your review is exactly what we strive for. Our philosophy is being an “oasis for the well-travelled”. Hence we were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the personalized services our team, especially Sage and Julia extended to you and your family. We will certainly share your remarks with Sage and Julia and we are convinced that comments like yours encourage them to further enhance their services.

Again, thank you very much for your accolades and sentiments; we are thrilled to learn that we were able to make your stay a special one. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel,

Warm wishes

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

In a smog filled, loud and incredibly busy Beijing, Raffles provides a perfectly situated oasis. Very close to the Forbidden City, around the corner from one of the main shopping streets, it was a pleasure to spend a few days on a first visit. Even though the room amenities need a little renovation, they are spacious and very well appointed.
Excellent service, from tours to train tickets, made the stay a very positive overall experience.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FKislik
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Beijing. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are certainly extremely thrilled to learn that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Accolades and sentiments of appreciation such as yours only encourage us to further improve our services and facilities.

Should your travels lead you again to Beijing we would be delighted to welcome you back to the Raffles.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

My sister and I, both grandmothers, had a great three days here. It started right from when our plane landed. We had asked the hotel to arrange a pick up for us, and the airport representative was waiting for us right at the air bridge as we left the plane. She escorted us through to collect our bags and out to our waiting driver. Then when we arrived at the hotel, John Spooner and his team were waiting to greet us. We went straight up to our room where they checked us in and made us feel most welcome.
And what can I say about the staff in the Club Lounge!! Nancy and Sage and the rest of the team - you made our stay so special.
I couldn't fault the service we received, so while there may be a few things in the building itself that aren't quite 5 star, the service certainly is, and that's the reason for my rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Robbie,

Warm greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

Thank you for your recent stay with us in Beijing. We are delighted to learn that you and your sister enjoyed a pleasant and comfortable stay with us and that you arrived safe and sound back home.

On behalf of my entire team I would like to thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I will share you report with John, Sage and Nancy as well as all of our colleagues and I am certain accolades and sentiments such as yours will entice them to further improve their services.

Our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests. We are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best. Feedback and comments such as yours are extremely encouraging and push us to continue improving on our products and services.

Once again, thank you very much for choosing Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I am impressed. The customer service so far, has been immaculate, and aims to please.

Upon an early arrival from the airport, I was asked to wait for the room, which I did. My well-being in that short 2-hour wait was doted with tea and reading materials. Every hour or so, a hotel staff will come and ask how was I do and assured me that my room was ready soon.

By around 10.30am, my room was ready. I was escorted by the hotel's front desk, given a tour of the hotel along the way. My room was perfect, and the staff stayed and showed me the facilities and amenities. That kind of customer service is top notch. A full thumbs-up for me for customer service.

Surprisingly when my travel agent booked my room, the price of the king-sized room was even cheaper than the Grand Hyatt Beijing which I stayed last year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Chin-Fah,

Thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing and we appreciate you having taken the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities as well as the personalized services. “All thumbs-up” for guest services is certainly a great compliment.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing.

General Manger

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We recently spent a night in raffles Beijing. Taxi from PEK airport was 90RMB in 45 minutes, no taxi line at 2PM and no traffic jam.

Our booking was for 1 Executive Room(in the rare building), but front desk "upgrade" us to a deluxe room in the front building, without any view, also meant we need to come down 4 levels, walk thru an atrium, go up 4 levels to the club lounge. I am not sure that was an "upgrade".

Raffles Hotel or the actual name is Beijing Hotel Raffles, as an upscale extension of the larger Beijing Hotel next door, actual name is important for taxi driver, our taxi driver knows Beijing Hotel but not Raffles, missed it. Overall condition of the hotel is excellent, on par with 5 stars such as Ritz or Peninsula. Room is large, hotel is quiet and elegant.

Club lounge is large with very friendly professional staff, condition is good but with hardly any quality food found in 4-5 stars hotels, just expresso machine, cold drinks, some cookies, not worth any extra cost.

Breakfast was big and good. Many Indian guests.

The services at Raffles BJ is vey good in most areas, poor in few key areas, concierge is the main problem. After checked-in, there was no help or any offer of help for our 2 suitcases, not from the front desk or bellboy within sight, we did it ourselves, this could not happen at most decent hotels, at best hotels, they simply would not allow it.

When we checked out to move to a Hutong hotel for the Hutong experience, the concierge manager was not able to find any taxi, even at higher prices, no taxi called him back, he did not volunteer info, we had to ask him. We sat in lobby with suitcases for 45-60 minutes, with managers walking past us but not a glance at us or any inquiry, not a sign of a 5 stars hotel, in most hotels, they'd be all over us in minutes. Eventually we called the new hotel, which promptly sent a car(50RMB) over for the short ride. That was Friday evening rush hours, but that is what concierge does for a living. Any true 5 stars hotels should have MBs or RR standing by to do the jobs at a cost. This one had none.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MacJourney1

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities as well as the personalized services our Club Floor Manager and her team extended to you. We will share your remarks with them and we know that comments and accolades such as yours will encourage them to even further enhance their services. On the other hand I was surprised to read your comments regarding our food & beverage offerings at the Club. We offer a complete breakfast buffet with eggs, bacon and other hot dishes made to order by our Club Floor Chef as well as sandwiches and high tea during the afternoon hours plus a limited open bar with bar snacks after 5 p.m. I have investigated the matter and was ensured by both, our Club Floor Manager and our Director of Food & Beverage that also during your stay these menu cycles were available. Hence, I am very disappointed to read that you missed them.

In addition I was disappointed to read about the challenges you experienced with our Concierge team. I have shared your report with our Chief Concierge in order to prevent similar incidents from happening.

Once again, thank you for your detailed report, which will certainly help us to better our services.

Kindest regards,

General Manger

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We had the pleasure of staying three nights at this hotel. As we were booked on day tours we cannot really comment on many of the facilities as our time actually in the hotel was limited. However from the moment we arrived outside the main entrance we were treated to the very best of service and made to feel welcome. Our room was huge and very well appointed, complete with complimentary fruit bowl - a nice touch. Drinking water was also proved each day. The beds were very comfortable and every thing about the rooms first class.

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the main shopping street and the Forbiddin city. A tube station is a few minutes away. Hotel staff were always on hand to offer help and directions.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Monty,

Greetings from Raffles Beijing Hotel!

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your kind letter and the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us.

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Raffles Beijing Hotel, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us. At Raffles our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home. What makes us special is a combination of two things – what we bring to the world and what we bring to every single person who visits Raffles. These are the very heart of our brand. The first describes what we are: an oasis for the well travelled. The second is what we bring to every one of our guests. It`s not about what they get, it is about how they feel. Emotional luxury.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations, that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Raffles Beijing Hotel.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The biggest “but” first:
At the end of my 23-night stay, I was given the choice between paying my bill in RMB or in EUR. I chose RMB, yet the hotel charged my credit card in EUR at their own rate, which is significantly more expensive than my bank’s rate would have been. The difference in my case amounted to about 140 EUR in favor of the hotel. It took them several days (and two reminders) to respond to my email in this regard. Then they immediately charged my card again, while my bank had not yet received any indication of a refund. Given that by their own admission they had made a “mistake”, I consider this practice totally unacceptable and feel very strongly that the refund procedure (which may take up to 15 days, as I was rather nonchalantly informed) should have been completed, i.e. the refund credited to my card, before they charged again. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I will choose a different hotel for my upcoming trips to Beijing.

Other “buts”:
None of this is really terrible, but in sum still inappropriate for a five-star hotel, especially one sailing under the Raffles flag. Basically, none of the Chinese staff you meet in the corridors will greet you or even look at you, with the exception of some housekeepers. The fact that I was there for a stay of 23 nights was acknowledged precisely once, and in connection with an attempt to determine my tour-purchasing potential. I did not perceive anything that might be considered special or personal treatment, apart from being greeted by name by some of the breakfast staff. Even the ubiquitous Ambassador did not venture near me, although he seemed to be talking to everyone else at breakfast. The Western managers who descend on the breakfast room every morning seem to be there on a private mission rather than as hotel representatives – the way they all go straight for the buffet, I initially thought they were a business delegation staying at the hotel. They did not seem to notice the many small details that were off, e.g. incorrect labelling, lack of utensils, Nutella apparently taken out of the freezer 15 minutes before, etc. Lobby staff, including the guy who is supposed to push the revolving door for you, play on their cell phones and are visibly baffled when a guest materializes in front of them. The awful pool has been mentioned in other reviews; if the Raffles chooses to outsource pool management to an external company, it should pick one that can provide adequate services, and monitor service delivery carefully. The showerheads in the ladies’ pool changing facilities looked as if they were about to come off the wall. The lobby toilets come with cheap fake-wood doors and a funny smell. The wifi wasn’t always reliable. Over a period of three days, housekeeping didn’t seem to notice a broken light in the bathroom (was fixed very quickly when reported). Bathtub plug leaked so it wasn’t possible to run a bath (did not ask to fix this and took showers instead – but aren’t there any routine inspections of room facilities?). Key card stopped working three times.

Good points:
I wanted a comfortable, quiet room for an extended stay, and that’s what I got in a Raffles Inc. Business room; in my case looking out onto the space between the State and Heritage Buildings. I am very sensitive to noise, but the room was super quiet. Other reviews have complained about the room décor; while I didn’t find it particularly amazing (and certainly not terribly “colonial”), I was fine with it and in any case there are photos on the website so anyone can check before making a booking. Comfortable big bed. Room slippers are made of cotton cloth rather than the white synthetic fibre variety. Note that the majority of guests seemed to be tourists, so this is not the best place if you are on business (e.g. there was a small desk in my room but no office supplies, and the chair was not comfortable for work). Very friendly and efficient breakfast staff, good selection at breakfast. Did not try any of the restaurants so cannot comment. Check-in was quick, efficient and friendly, though they must have been out of tea when I arrived for I certainly wasn’t offered any. My main reason for choosing the Raffles was its location, which is obviously fantastic and makes it easy to get out and explore, with many sights within walking distance and the subway station just a few meters away. This makes the hotel a good choice if you are staying for just a few nights and want to be close to certain tourist attractions and public transportation.

In sum, I had a generally pleasant stay even though my overall expectations of the Raffles were not always met. Given the handling of my payment, however, I am definitely not coming back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank afternoonnap_10
RafflesBeijingHotel, General Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback following your recent stay with us at Raffles Beijing Hotel. We appreciate and value all the time you have taken to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor, which will help us to continuously improve our service and facilities.

First of all, we would like to thank you for having chosen Raffles Beijing Hotel as your preferred accommodation in Beijing during your 23 days stay in the Middle Kingdom. Whilst I was happy to read the closure of your feedback that overall, you left with a “generally pleasant experience”, I was disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced with being recognized, the pool facilities and most importantly the handling of your payment. We understand that with a 23 nights stay at a hotel, the least that our guest would expect is being recognized and feel comfortable; on this occasion, we seemed to have failed you for which there is no excuse, only an apology. As mentioned in the review, while we agree with you to be the top hotel destination for leisure travelers, please rest assured that we do provide our business travelers a full access to business amenities such as electronics, tools and office furniture such as Business Desk Chairs which I wish we would have known you needed to make your long business stay with us a more comfortable one. This has been noted on your profile along with other feedback to anticipate your needs in the future.

In regards to the Pool facilities and as you may have already read, it is unfortunate that the pool is operated and managed by a third party operator. This party is hired by the real estate owner of our hotel and regrettably does not report in any way to us. Having said that, we understand our responsibility of offering the service and having pool access for our guests, therefore we are working on a long term solution to regain ownership and supervision of the area in order to offer Raffles service and standards. This is a long term project and we are confident that we will be able to rectify this structural adjustment finally by 2016. In the meantime we will continue with our efforts to maintain the area and quality to the best of our means. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience we have caused with this and failing to provide the basic services in this area.

We have also taken note of your comment regarding your negative perception of our Raffles Ambassador and other Western employees. Having read and knowing about the “ubiquitous” Ambassador, you can only imagine his frustration to read your review and not having been able to connect with you while staying with us. Please rest assured that we have internally discussed the sensitivity of this matter. Our executive chef was also very keen on receiving the feedback and your comments on some of the buffet items.

Last but not least, allow me to apologize once again for the mishandling of your payment and elaborate a little bit more for the awareness of other travelers as well. The daily foreign currency conversion rates are set by approved Banks which we are not permitted to amend nor charge any commission on the forex transaction. In addition, all credit card transactions through the hotel’s Point of Sales (POS) machines are directly debited by our bankers in the local currency of the client’s card. This is a system default but there is an available option for the amount to be debited in RMB. In your case, we acknowledge you have given instruction for your room bills to be settled in RMB but unfortunately, this was not followed through by our colleague who attended to you on the day and so the settlement was made in Euro instead of RMB. As for your request to refund the full amount in Euro and recharge the amount in RMB, the transactions were promptly processed. Our records show the refund in Euro was made by our bank on the following day. However, we are not able to confirm with certainty when the refund will actually appears on your credit card statement as such international interbank transactions vary according to the bank, its location, etc. So as a matter of policy, we advise our guests that it may take up to 15 days for refunds to be credited to their credit card account. Please accept my sincere apologies for this unfortunate incident which had caused you much inconvenience. We are currently reviewing our procedures with our bank to avoid this from happening in the future.

At Raffles, we strive to provide every guest with the most comfortable experience, but we seem to have partly failed in meeting your expectations on this occasion. We do hope we have an opportunity to welcoming you again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,