“Americans in Beijing”
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #25 of 6,531 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Easy to find. Convenient to subway, shopping, attractions. Staff is very pleasant, helpful in every way. English is spoken. Room was spotless, spacious. Very comfortable. Breakfast on the 5th floor had choices to fit any cultural preference. Traveling with our son, his wife, and our 2 year old grandson. Toddler friendly with crib and child seat in the restaurant. Would stay here again and recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
RafflesBeijingHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Jan B,

Greetings from Beijing!

Thank you for your superb review of Raffles! We really appreciate your kind words about our hotel, our prime location and most importantly our team and the services you have received. It is certainly accolades such as yours that help us keep the team motivated and always wanting to exceed expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for Beijing Hotel NUO

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Ahhh the Raffles, a hotel chain reputed for its service and elegance. Or so we thought.....

We reserved three rooms, which we were not disappointed with....when we finally got them.
Having checked in at 3PM (check in time is 2PM) we were advised that one room was not yet ready. Now whilst making the booking online, I did not stipulate that all rooms had to be on the same floor, however, the staff member knew we were all together and offered us a room on another floor with a polite apology. A long 2 hours later the room was finally ready. For a 4 star hotel I thought this was quite poor. When I arrived at my room it was still being cleaned and I had to wait patiently outside until the job was complete, about 10 mins. Again not a long time but it is meant to be THE RAFFLES!
Our suitcases were not delivered to our floors with us, in fact we called concierge about 20mins later to find out where they were and when they would be delivered. And if you want to call concierge and don't speak Mandarin, good luck. I ended up having to walk downstairs to the front desk to find someone who could speak English.
After getting ready to go out for dinner the lift was broken and we had to use the service elevator.

To be honest we probably caught the hotel on a bad day. Everything just wasn't running smoothly.
The rooms were amazing and the view from our window was also fantastic. The location cannot be faulted. Right next to Wangfujing St.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on high floor. And when checking in ASK what building your room is in. We wasted time l...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Hammertime,

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of Raffles after your recent stay.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the few shortcomings experienced upon your arrival. While we had and offered a room on a different floor prior to check in time, as mentioned by you, the delay with your check in for all rooms past the check in time was solely due to your request of the rooms being close together on the same floor, which is not uncommon in 4 and 5 stars hotel setting guest preferences as our priority. On another hand, I was certainly disappointed with your luggage not being delivered past 20 min of your check in time which I have addressed with our Chef Concierge for his immediate attention.

Thank you once again for your comments, the positive and the not so positive, as only by candid feedback such as yours are we able to improve.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Excellent hotel with lovely staff. Manager Mr John Spooner was Australian and he made you feel at home and was extremely helpful in giving suggestions where to go and eat etc. Only negative I had to ask for tea and coffee and internet occasionally dropped out. My room was 6307 with street view and was quiet no noise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts

Dear Barnev,

Thank you for your recent review of Raffles on Tripadvisor. It was with great pleasure I read it and thankful for all your kind words. I will certainly pass on your lovely comments to my team and especially John, being inexorably in the lobby for most part of the day, he is one of the first persons you see and possibly the last; it is pleasing to know he made an impression on you during your stay as indeed we all try to do.

Warm wishes and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights, my first stay at this hotel. Our room looked out onto East Dongchang An Avenue on the 6th floor. My first impression of the room was it was huge! There is also a separate toilet/bath to the shower/basin area. My husband was in a wheelchair and crutches and the staff were really helpful and friendly. It is a very short walk to Wangfujing shopping street and Wangfujing subway station. It is difficult to get a taxi in this area as cars are not allowed to stop on this main street. The concierge is more than happy to use the new taxi app on their phones now to order a taxi (extra RMB10 paid to the driver). John Spooner is the Raffles Ambassador and he was a great resource of what to do and where to go. Make sure you have a look at the room on the 4th (?) floor (Honour room?) which has photos of all the famous people who have stayed at Raffles.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
RafflesBeijingHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Daisie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Raffles Beijing Hotel. It was very heart warming to read your experiences and am grateful to you for sharing them with us and our perspective guests.

On behalf of my team and I, thank you once again. I couldn't have described my dedicated team better myself, especially John Spooner whom we consider the main “Pillar” in the lobby!

The taxi has indeed been a challenge since the day I joined Raffles and we are thrilled that the city governed and only Taxi company has finally implemented a phone and tablet application allowing passengers to reserve or even bid on Taxi rides during rush hours, rainy periods and public holidays when Taxis go almost extinct from the city!

Daisie, thank you once again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

After a hiatus of more than one year, I have returned to the Raffles as a guest. I have stayed at this Beijing institution several times over the past decade in my travels to the Chinese capital, but decided to test out other hotels to see if there are better and more viable options.

That I have returned after this search of more than one year suggests I still find the Raffles a better fit for my needs. And indeed it is the case, and I am glad to report that this could yet be my most satisfying stay at this old, grand dame of Beijing's hospitality scene.

My (very) good experience with the Raffles started even before my stay began. I emailed to the Concierge to book a train ticket for my last day of stay, as I fear the public holidays then may limit the availability. A familiar name popped up in my email inbox in less than half a day, and Hank was advising me on the train schedule and other details. The booking went smoothly after I replied with my preferences, and by the next day in the afternoon, Hank has replied to say that the ticket has been booked and waiting for me when I check in.

Two days before my stay began, a colleague suddenly said he'd join me in the trip and and I asked Hank again to help arrange. My colleague is less familiar with China and Beijing, and the effort Hank and the rest of the concierge and reservations team made to accommodate our needs are truly remarkable. From the smallest details of what tea my colleague prefers to the more standard requests of a big bed in a non-smoking room, nothing is too much or too difficult.

So when I finally checked in, there were no surprises. The only unexpected part was my upgrade to one of the Heritage rooms, which are in the older, front building. The room I had was as nice as what I had at the other building, the so-called Raffles Inc rooms. The period feel, the old-world charm and the attention to details in the decor and layout of the room are all top notch. The room is however smaller than the Raffles Inc rooms I used to stay in, but still generous size. In fact, there are two toilets (one for visiting guests I presume) and the bed on a lifted pedestal makes you feel like you're some royalty sleeping in a four-poster bed complete with bed curtains to be drawn when you're nicely tucked into your sheets. Lovely!

The location, facilities and the look and decor of this hotel need no further description from me. My earlier reviews touched on these aspects and so did many earlier reviewers. Suffice to say that all the good things remain, and many aspects got better if nothing in terms of maintenance of the quaint look and that time-machine feel.

However, I must admit that for all the prettiness and gaiety of the Heritage room, I still prefer the Raffles Inc room, which is almost like a junior suite with a separate working area as if a study, separate from the sleeping area. The amenities are somewhat the same in both types of room, but in the Raffles Inc room, there are touches of modernity fused into the period feel, while at the Heritage room the design was out and out invoking that old-world charm and nostalgic feel (just look at the yellowed, framed photos of old communist cadres of the Beijing Hotel hanging on the walls when you enter the room!).

The generous use of white lilies in the room mean that the stamens on the flowers' stigmas emit a certain strange smell which borders on staleness or that plant smell, if you know what I mean. I do not particularly like this smell, even though I can tolerate it. I suggest the hotel uses the more neutral white orchid as their flower of decor of choice instead, if they want something white to complement the rich use of beige, ebony and mahogany brown in the hues of this historical building.

Otherwise, this stay was perhaps the best I have had at the Raffles. Service is great among the concierge and reservations staff as earlier mentioned, and the front desk staff also strive hard to equal that as I can see. Even though nothing compared to the best of services seen in Taiwan or Japan, this is after all China and to get such good service is a bonus in this still developing country. I urge the management to keep up with the training, and at least compared to what I saw and experienced in earlier years, the Raffles has improved by yet several notches up.

If the price charged is as reasonable as this time round, I will definitely return. To me, this is like a homecoming, back in the warm arms of an old grandmother who has been waiting patiently for my return. I hope you will only get better!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sal the Fat Fish
RafflesBeijingHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Sal,

Many thanks for having taken the time to share you feedback once again about your stay at Raffles Beijing with the tripadvisor.com community. We appreciate all your kind words and rest assured, I have celebrated your comments with the entire team.
Your review is certainly most helpful to other future travelers who may be less familiar with the many amazing hotels and places Beijing has to offer. I am indeed auspicious to work with such a dedicated team; most of whom like Hank, have been with us since Raffles established presence in the most iconic building in Beijing.

We have also taken note of your desired room type and updated your preferences accordingly; thank you in particular for going in details about our two different design characters we are fortunate to have here. Our iconic French-Orient colonnaded heritage building, has for nearly a century been the choice of visiting Royalty and diplomats, and travelers with a sense of occasion. On the other hand, the State building which you previously resided in offers junior suites with a very modern and contemporary interior and design. We understand that design and convenience is a matter of personal preference and agree with you 100% that some guests will love the Heritage building and some will prefer a more modern setting.

Please do stay in touch whenever your travels bring you back to Beijing and I will be happy to personally assist you with your future arrangements.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is fantastic. The rooms are really spacious. They are like suites. The interior design is very elegant and classic. You feel like you are staying in a European hotel! The staff are great and friendly and helpful. The location is amazing. It's a walking distance from the forbidden city and Zhongshan road. It's great for business and vacation stays.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Marafi,

Many thanks for devoting some time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Raffles Beijing Hotel with fellow travellers.

We thank you for calling our hotel “Fantastic” and we very much appreciate the fact that you chose Raffles while in Beijing.
It is nice to know your visit was a memorable one and I look forward to perhaps meeting you in person on your next visit to the Middle Kingdom.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Selected this hotel by 5 star rating and proximity to the Forbidden City. Was not very pleased with the experience.
Writing more just to satisfy a foolish request of this tripadvisor format - 200 character minimum. Ridiculous.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for having taken the time to type in 200 characters as required by tripadvisor.

Whilst you appraised us with the highest possible rating, allow me please to apologize for the fact that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We would certainly like to hear more detailed feedback about your experience and how we could have served you better.
A full rating yet with a “not very pleased” described in your review is obviously not good enough for us and we hope you will be reaching out to us in the near future to discuss further our shortcomings with you.