“Excellent hotel, wonderful stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beijing Hotel NUO

Beijing Hotel NUO
Ranked #22 of 6,435 Hotels in Beijing
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent hotel, wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just stayed at Raffles with my entire family - including parents, kids, sister and husband. The staff are amazing and the hotel is gorgeous. It is quite centrally located so it was easy to get around.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Raffles Hotels & Resorts

RafflesBeijingHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Karen,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to summarize your experience with us in few simple yet powerful words.

We are thrilled to know that we made such an impression on three generations at once! We hope to be able to welcome all of you back every year here or at any other Raffles in the world where “the story of generations continues…”

Chadi Chemaly – Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Excellent location and very comfortable. The breakfast is first class and the staff very professional. The ambassador John goes out of his way to meet you and make you feel like family. Not super modern but a great place to stay. Fantastic location near all attractions and a pedestrian walking street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear Stoney89,

We are so pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay at the “Great Old World Charm” Raffles Beijing.

Raffles Hotels have long been renowned for its Food and Beverage offerings following the footsteps of our flagship property in Singapore, hence we were delighted to hear that you found our breakfast “first class”.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon; please do not hesitate to contact John or me personally on your next visit to Beijing as we would like to offer you to stay in our State building offering a more modern setting compared to the Heritage building which is unique in Beijing.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a week and were looked after really ,really well by the staff. We are very great full tonRaffles Ambassador Mr.John Spooner. Without him we would have been totally lost and the trip un eventful. John was so good in fact my wife rang him while we were in the train as we could not find his hand drawn map. He was very polite,nice and helped us out. John is a great ambassador . All the staff, house keeping, concierge and restaurant were friendly. Were keen to let us have a greatest experience in Beijing. John was great in his approach , did not overwhelm but surely will ask to find out about what we have already done, etc and will advise appropriately.
Thanks John we really appreciate your help

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Swami,

Thank you for your recent review of Raffles Beijing, a “Great Hotel” as mentioned by you.

I am delighted you experienced Raffles as being an oasis for the well travelled. When I say this, and I really do believe it, personalized service comes naturally to my team as we all have a genuine willingness to make our guests stay with us a memorable one. Thank you for mentioning John by name as well as the Housekeeping, Concierge and Restaurant teams, I have made sure to pass on your appreciation.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Many thanks again and best wishes,
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

It was fantastic to arrive and be sat down by the Raffles Ambassador John. He handled all of the checkin procedure for me while I relaxed in a lounge chair. From there I got the run down of the current Beijing tourist scams (people wanting to practice their English), through to the correct taxi fares, where the markets were, were the supermarket was, how to book a tour of the Great Wall. He was superb. Oh, ask him where he got his watch from!

The room itself was superb. From reading TripAdvisor I decided on a room in the Landmark building, and this was a GREAT decision. It faced out onto the road - the noise wasn't much, but it made it more of a Beijing experience rather than an inner facing room that could be anywhere in the world. The room was spacious, wonderful electronic controls for lights and heating (well cooling), very comfortable bed.

The location is even better - it's easy walking distance to Tiananmen and Forbidden City, and if you're reasonably fit, the Temple of Heaven. Shopping is literally just around the corner.

This is one of those places that as you walk into, you're immediately happy. I'd advise trying to get a room deal with breakfast included since it's expensive to get separately. But it is a great breakfast - so many choices.

Overall, it's difficult to think of anything that was missing here. It really made my stay. Thanks John - you are an amazing ambassador.

Room Tip: I am so happy with the Landmark/heritage room facing the street. Spacious with an outlooking view...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear DACW,

Thank you for the very kind and impressive feedback.

We appreciate all the time you took to share your “Best Check-in EVER” experience at Raffles with the rest of the triapdvisor.com community.

While our location is unbeatable, we are ecstatic to know that the service you have experience with us is truly what made your trip to Beijing a memorable one.

Do come back soon again and let John or I know if we may be of any assistance to arrange reservations at Raffles or any other FRHI.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was in Beijing for 10 days for a business + tourist trip. As a wheelchair user, I was frankly terrified that Beijing would be inhospitable, and the language barriers in the first few hotels I tried (I tend to go for the cute boutiques) made my anxiety worse. Most people I interacted with in Beijing only knew a few key phrases, and anything out of the way, such as "do you have stairs?", is met with silence. I finally gave in and booked at Raffles, thinking I would be at a giant soulless hotel.

How wrong I was! As soon as we entered the door, we were met by the Hotel Ambassador, John Spooner, who is one of the most pleasant men I've had the fortune to know. He is Australian, but knows more about the ins and outs of Beijing than many natives I've met. We saw him nearly every day of our trip and he made sure we planned ahead and was great to chill with at the cocktail hour in the afternoon once we'd had our adventures for the day.
Additionally, John made certain that wherever we went, we'd be able to manage, and worked with the concierge staff (who were themselves really quite awesome. Particularly the head concierge, who went out of his way to help us buy a cell phone our first day so we would have a fall-back in case we got into trouble!) to make certain that the places we picked to go were workable for me. The lounge staff, particularly Sage and Lucy, were very kind and anticipated our needs as we relaxed from long days of fighting Beijing in 100 degree heat. I have never interacted with a better hotel staff.

The hotel was charming. There were stairs to the nicest part of the public area, the writers' bar, with wheelchair access around the back through a locked door. I normally avoid places where I have to ask permission to go in (please oh please keep that door unlocked during business hours, or station someone there who will unlock it when they see you.), but eventually I gave in and sent my bf around the front and waited at the back door to be let in while passersby gave me odd looks. It was awesome inside, and I wish I'd been able to go back before we left. Chinese high tea there is really good, and the atmosphere is full of old world charm.

One last access note: there is a steep steep ramp to get to the landing where the breakfast restaurant is. This needs a railing so people can pull themselves up/down if they don't have someone to push them. It was so steep that the chair tipped when I tried it un-aided!

Overall, Raffles was my oasis of peace in the middle of a strenuous and long trip, and I'm looking forward to going back next time I'm in Beijing.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
RafflesBeijingHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Awildani,

Thank you for the recent review of Raffles Beijing Hotel. I truly appreciate your comments on the “Great time at Raffles” and all the splendid and positive aspects of your stay.

Your review clearly shows each and every one of our colleagues is born into this business, in particular you singled out our Head Concierge, John, Sage and Lucy, who were blown away by your special thanks. Raffles’ obsession about ambiance and food I think you spotted as well; as mentioned by you and many reviewers, Writers Bar offers a setting like no other in Beijing, renowned for the afternoon tea and comfort food menu where East meets West.

Regrettably yet gratefully, thank you for alerting us about the steep ramp. I have immediately notified our Chief Engineer to look into it to ensure it meets the guidelines and if not, to have it immediately modified.

We look very much forward to welcome you back at the oasis in Beijing.

Warm wishes,
Chadi Chemaly – Executive Assistant Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Beneath this review, you will read what people have written about the Raffles Beijing - about the grandeur, the elegance, the rooms, the sheets and how they are, respectively, grand, elegant, comfortable and soft.

They are all correct. Of course they are. This is a great hotel.

But let me be alternative. I will tell you what counts.

Another review that finds another dozen adjectives for the size, taste, chambres and linen of Raffles is not going to make you any wiser than you were after reading your fifth or fiftieth review (though it may make you more confident to spend your hard-earned capitalist remnibi there).

This is what matters: Raffles Beijing is a great hotel because the people whose job it is to care for its guests are very good at their job (and are nice people, to boot). Remember, anyone can build a big house but not everyone can turn it into a traveller's home.

While quite a few people will contribute to the comfort of your elegant home in Beijing, when you go to stay at Raffles, you must meet one person especially. You are likely to find him seated on his high-backed "throne" in the middle of the lobby, dressed in regulation Raffles dark suit, drinking tea perhaps, either by himself or with some guests. This person is the Raffles Ambassador, John Spooner.

If you see John, walk to him and say "hello". Tell him that Peter from Sydney told you to say that "hello". Then, say little more because you won't need to. John, fired from something within himself, will take you into the Raffles family and take care of you.

Now you are at home, in your hotel in Beijing, far, far away from your own town but... at home.

Room Tip: Speak to John.
1 Thank Petychka
RafflesBeijingHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Beijing Hotel NUO, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Petychka,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your encouraging feedback about your recent stay with other fellow travellers!

We are thrilled to learn that you discovered us during your trip to the Middle Kingdom. Beijing offers indeed some of the best hotel chains in the world and we are delighted to know once again that the service provided at Raffles exceeded your expectations but more importantly that it turned this hotel into a “traveller’s home” for you!

In particular, thank you for the dazzling comments about the man on the “throne” whom has also been called the Human Pillar among the other pillars holding the lobby for almost a century now. John our Raffles Ambassador is indeed a book of knowledge and a great resource for anyone traveling to Beijing or any other city with a Raffles flag.
We look forward to hopefully welcome you back soon again.

Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We recently completed a 2 week trip to various cities in China. Beijing was our first stop. Raffles was a wonderfully welcoming property. The room was very large (Landmark), with a balcony (which was unfortunately locked since there were government activities taking place locally). The property itself was marked by old world charm - wonderful tea service and ballroom. The buffet breakfast was superb. The only drawback (minor) was that there weren't many choices for nightlife near the hotel. Not a real issue.

Room Tip: Get a Landmark room.
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. I am cheerful to read about your “wonderfully welcoming” stay and your particular praise about the charm of our property and our breakfast buffet; Raffles Beijing is indeed the only Heritage hotel in the city.

With our central location steps away from Forbidden City and Tian’amen Square along with our reputation and the Raffles experience one indulges in at our hotel, it is inevitable that we do indeed welcome diplomatic dignitaries among other social figures and celebrities. While this results in few additional safety measures, comfort and opulence for our guests remain our priority during those special times in which most our guests enjoy the site of fellow famous guests!

We trust the rest of your travels in China was in some ways comparable to your first stop and that you will be visiting us again whenever your travels bring you back to this side of the world.

Best wishes,