“Best Quality/Price Ratio Hotel for Tourists”
Review of Regent Beijing

Regent Beijing
Ranked #30 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Quality/Price Ratio Hotel for Tourists”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Before going to Beijing this time, I've done some research since I have to pay by myself for two nights. I compared Regent, Conrad, Hotel Eclat, Westin, and Shangrila. and finally settled on Regent Beijing because for the same or lower price of an ordinary room in the above mentioned hotel, I got to stay in the executive room with lounge access. Given that it's operated by Taiwanese, you'd expect the quality.

I've come to the conclusion that this is one of the best hotels for tourists or business travelers who want to stay in a luxury hotel but have to pay by his/her own. These are the highlights:

(1) Which room to stay? Let me just say that I love my room with a view, and oh boy, did I get one (see pics)! I stayed in Room 1824 (the hotel has 19 floors). This is a corner room with two floor-to-ceiling windows facing southwest and west. Look at the pictures! This is one of the best views in Beijing (if you know a better one, please tell me! I'll try it next time). Since the manager does read reviews here, maybe he or she can point out how high you need to stay with an unobstructed view of the forbidden city and bell and drum towers. But definitely ask for one. (I also want to publicly applaud Angela, Regent's reservation department representative, for reserving this room with wonderful view for a new guest! You've definitely earned a long-time customer for Regent.)

(2) service and facilities: Do stay in an executive room with lounge access. Even after this, the price is still cheaper than most western chains in Beijing. The ladies in the lounge (17th floor) were friendly without being too intimidating (I am the type that want to be left alone. Oh, and they are pretty!) Breakfast was great (you order a main course from the menu, and then there are buffet tables as well). Wine and liquor selections for the happy hour are decent. I did use the swimming pool twice, which is 25m. It is bright and airy. Although the locker room is dark and a little bit on the humid side, it feels maintained. Coffee in the room is French press (Now you see I am just listing stuff from memory....) I don't know why you'd want to work when the view is perfect (ok, I admit you can't see anything when the air is heavily polluted, which is like all the time). But if you need to, the desk is big (see pic) and I love how they put the table by itself as opposed to against the wall. Most people have already mentioned that internet is free and fast enough (you do need VPN to access youtube or facebook). You get to iron two shirts for free if you stay in the executive room as well (maybe there are more free services, I don't remember. They did give you a list of complimentary services when you check in, which is nice). I love the Molton Brown shampoo they provided!

(3) Location: The hotel is three Beijing blocks away from Forbidden City and TianAnMen Square (a 20 min walk), a block away from Wangfujing (it's touristy, but in an exotic Chinese way very unlike shopping streets in other countries). Down on the ground level, Jinbao Street has one of the most expensive malls in Beijing. Several extremely well known local restaurants in the neighborhood. So I didn't try the hotel restaurants. Do ask the concierge for recommendations (also be prepared to pay a major world city price though). Right by the mall, there are old alleys (hutons) that are still crowded with collective households. Not too many places in China can you still see such a deep contrast of rich and (dirt) poor living side-by-side. Although there is a subway exit in the building (Denshikou on line 5), line 5 is the main north-south artery, and being squeezed to death during rush hour may not be nice and should be avoided. The fact that it is centrally located in the city, given Beijing's hellish traffic, is probably the only reason why it is not a good alternative for business travelers. But again, if somebody is paying the bill, there are better located (and much more expensive) places for you in this city.

Overall, this hotel really is nice and I highly recommend you to stay in their executive rooms. People complain about noise on the lower floors, but come on, I don't really know how you can avoid that staying in the center of the Chinese universe which is at the foot of Forbidden City!

Room Tip: Higher floors facing west have forbidden city view. East facing rooms are blocked by two buildings i...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Hau C
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time to write such a comprehensive report on your recent stay with us!

We are absolutely delighted that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that we managed to deliver on our promise once again.

I do believe that you highlighted all of our key selling points!

As for the unobstructed view to the Forbidden City, you start getting it from about the 12th or 13th floors upwards and it obviously gets better as you go up (weather permitting of course!). You may of course make the request to have a high floor room with a view on the Forbidden City at the time of booking. These are however are most widely requested rooms and we therefore cannot guarantee that we'll be able to come through on the request but I can assure you that we do our very best to deliver on such requests.

We are very happy to know that you would recommend us so highly and that we can now count you among our ever growing family of loyal guests.

I have shared your compliments with all of our team (especially with our team at the Regent Club Lounge) to thank them for all their continuous efforts. It is compliments such as these that make it all worth while for us in the end.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

For the price, it is such value with nice room fixtures and great room views outside...very high hotel! The 20st transfer deck gives another nice panoramic view of the city. The staff was responsive friendly to help calls though. The hotel is right at one mall and next to two other Citywalk malls. No problem for mall shopping or food. Overall a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on your recent stay at the Regent Beijing!

We are glad to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay here with us and that you were overall pleasantly surprise.

We hope to have the pleasure of being able to surprise you further should you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Beijing!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I spent many months researching hotels in beijing after previously staying during the Olympics and getting ripped off big time. I chose the regent from the many here in beijing because of its position being close to the Wangfujing plaza and its reputation and reviews. From the moment you walk into this hotel you are made to feel like a VIP and within a day you are known by name by most staff. The room was large and luxurious and offered my wife and I space to do our own thing without getting in each others way. The bed was super comfortable shower had great pressure and when you get to the swimming centre spa/gym you are blown away by its opulence. This is truly one of the best overall hotels in china and world and I have been to many many places
On the downside the Chinese restaurant within the hotel offers average quality meals at outrageous prices. Breakfast too was $56aus so we looked around and found a great food court at 138 wangfujing plaza. Best kept secret though go to the park plaza hotel which adjoins the Regent , it has a superb breakfast for half the cost. If not Starbucks right at the door.

However if you wish to be treated like a king the Regent is the place to be as is also the Peninsula Hotel. Unfortunately we then had to move hotels because we joined princess cruises tour group for an Asian holiday cruise and got moved to the Marriott City Wall Hotel which has no service no soul and a really bad locality next to nothing
Sorry to go on but most people going to beijing for the first time don't want to make mistakes... Just take my advice book the Regent and have breakfast next door

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank glenroben
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking a few minutes to share your opinion on your recent stay at the Regent Beijing!

We were delighted to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you'd choose to stay with us again in future.

Please note that the Park Plaza is in fact our sister 4-star hotel. We are therefore very happy that you found their breakfast and service to be to your liking too.

We look forward to welcoming you back once again when your travels bring you next to Beijing!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel lobby is a beautiful open space.
The checkin staff are quick, efficient & very helpful. The staff speak very good English.
The rooms are very well appointed & there is complimentary wifi & water.
The rooms have a safe, coffee & tea making facility & an iron. & ironing board.
The hotel on the whole is very clean. & so are the rooms - the only let down is the shower- which is mouldy- very disappointing for a hotel of this standard & given that the rest of the hotel is so clean. They really let themselves down in this area.
The location is excellent within close proximity to major tourist sites ( forbidden city & tianamen square & shopping )
Beijing is an amazing city & this is a well located & good hotel.
My only advice is pack thongs for the shower as it is not as clean as the rest of the hotel & hotel rooms. Please see photos I have attached.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion on your recent stay with us.

We were very sorry to hear of the issue you encountered with your shower. I tried looking for the pictures you mention in your review but could not find any. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and can assure you that this was an isolated incident as the many positive reviews relating to the overall cleanliness of our rooms (including the showers) found on TripAdvisor attest to. I would be very grateful if you could send me an email (karim.alvensleben@regent-beijing.com) with the room number so we may look into this matter.

We are however very happy that despite this inconvenience you found the remainder of our services and facilities to have met your expectations and that you did enjoy your stay with us.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Best thing about the hotel is the service. They do try to do everything to make your visit to Beijing a good one. Rooms are lovely but a trifle dark. Better reading lights would have made this a five star. Breakfast was super with both Asian and Western foods. A view of the Forbidden City from my room let let me know where I was

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mac0620
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us!

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Regent Beijing and have taken good note on the darkness of the rooms. We are currently looking into it and are gradually changing the bedside table lampshades from a dark brown to white to allow more light to go through.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again soon!
London
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

This was a lovely experience and I would be happy to recommend to fellow travellers. The hotel was very pleasant and well located and the staff deserve praise. We chose to pay extra and stay on the executive floor and use the club facilities. What a waste of money. Don't do it! We were not offered the executive check in and were told food was available between 6 & 8.00pm. We arrived at 19.30 and there was nothing available and when we asked, were told that the hotel was busy and that they were very sorry! Breakfast was very limited and we reverted to the general restaurant which was much better. When we asked the club for concierge service, they did not understand and again we approached the regular concierge on the ground floor who was great. I can recommend the Hotel but save your money on any perceived upgrade. Total waste!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonPilot
KarimvA, Executive Assistant Manager - Rooms at Regent Beijing, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank for taking a moment of your time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us.

We were glad to hear that you overall enjoyed your experience while staying at the Regent Beijing. We do apologize for the shortage of canapes at the evening cocktail during the two evenings you went up.

The comments you made to our team while staying with us have prompted us to re-look at our internal procedures when we have such a high level of business at the Regent Club Lounge to ensure such issues do not recur in the future. I assure you that you would easily see a change for the better if you came back. As you may tell from the numerous compliments to our lounge service, this is not a usual occurrence. As for breakfast, please note that if you have any particular requests for items not usually available at the Regent Club Lounge, our team will be happy to try to accommodate your order as best we can although it may take slightly longer as we would have to order it from the main kitchen downstairs.

With regards to the Concierge service, I believe this was more a matter of miscommunication. Our colleague at the lounge was indeed trying to retrieve the information you requested but the internet speed at that particular time slowed down. This is unfortunately something we are subject to in China and out of our control as the firewall may sometimes momentarily restrict access to certain websites in an arbitrary manner. We are however glad that our Concierge team downstairs managed to effectively resolve the issue for you.

Please let us know If you are planning to return to Beijing in the near future. I would be glad to extend complimentary access to the Regent Club Lounge upon your next visit to make up for these inconveniences and for you to experience the improvement for yourself.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again soon!
Moscow
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I m now staying in this hotel. Pluses-good location,fully equipped rooms,enough space for 2 ppl to stay in. Minus-room for smokers has an old smell of tobacco. Bath tube and tube are swallowing water very slow. Mirror in the hall is dirty. Chinese restaurant in the hotel is overprised and dun have even half food from the menu. Waitresses is far from having good English. deposit taken upon check in is appr the price of 4 days of our staying.
In overall-hotel is good just for sleeping. Go to eat and spend yr time somewhere else

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking your time to share your opinion on the Regent Beijing!

I was sorry I couldn't meet you on departure but understand that you've spoken to our Duty Manager when you checked out. We have taken good note of your comments regarding the room and restaurant and have shared it with the relative departments to address this issues immediately.

With regards to the restaurant pricing, Lei Garden is a well-known fine dining restaurant chain with two Michelin-starred outlets in Hong Kong and Macau (mainland China is not officially covered by the Michelin guide) and as such follows the pricing of other fine dining restaurants in the city. Dining in Beijing can be quite expensive. Fine dining restaurants often have similar pricing as one may find in other big cities such as Hong Kong, Tokyo or even New York.

As for the deposit, you may choose not to leave any deposit if you prefer. However you would not be allowed to charge any incidentals (room service, restaurant, bar, etc.) to your room.

We are glad however that you did have an overall positive experience and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again when you return to Beijing so that you may witness the improvements.