“Groovy decor and good location, but a bit run down.”

and 1 more site!
Beijing Mandarin Fortuneland Business Hotel
Ranked #3,381 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Pros:
Crazy mushroom lobby
Funky wall treatments and furniture
Quiet
Spacious rooms
Soft comfortable bed (which can be hard to find in China)
Wifi
Okay Chinese style buffet breakfast

Cons:
Rooms smell faintly of smoke (common in China)
Everything seems a bit dirty around the edges
No free drinking water
Transparent door to the loo

All in all, it was fine. The location is good and I enjoyed the groovy 70's ambiance. I felt like I should put on some Barry White and get together with my special someone, except maybe 7 years ago when all of the furniture and fixtures were new.

Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I spent 3 weeks in the Fortuneland Hotel and found it to be a pleasant stay. I was on an internship working in the centre of the business district everyday meaning the location of the hotel was important. Only walking distance from shops and 2 major subway stations meant that I didn't need to go far for much making my stay so much easier since I knew little Mandarin.
The staff were helpful and worked very hard to please guests despite limited English. The food in the hotel was traditional Chinese meaning breakfast didn't appeal to many westerners but if you're willing to try something new then it isn't that bad. The choice for dinner wasn't fantastic but was inexpensive.
My room was very large and clean. The toilet blocked a few times but with a call to reception it was fixed very quickly.
Overall I enjoyed my stay and would recommend to anyone looking for a prime location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mhairi-Claire C
Reviewed 18 November 2011

After we were dropped off outside an apartment building by the cab driver who insisted this was the address, we had to navigate through the lobby of another building on the street to get to the Meihao Fubang AKA the Fortuneland International Hotel which was snug in the middle of other towers.

The foyer looked great with some funky mushrooms on the ceiling, but that is where it all went down hill. We struggled to check in with the non english speaking reception staff who seemed almost annoyed that we had a reservation, after 15 minutes or so we were headed to our room optimistic. What we found after we exited the lift was a couple of swollen and warped wooden panels around the windows near the lift not a good start.

The room was quite large and had a nice flower painted on the ceiling, however the white paint on the far wall was peeling and cracked, strike one. We had a look in the bathroom which was also pretty spacious and had some colourful (but see through) red plastic dividing the bathroom from the kitchenette area. One look at the bathroom and it was plain to see it was not clean, the bath had dark marks in it, the taps for it had rust around the base and were loose the bath filled up at a rate of about 2 cups a minute and the shower wasn't any better, the bath tub was not sealed properly into the base and was coming apart.

We had no choice at 10:00pm at night but to stick it out, in the morning we expressed our disgust at the state of the room at reception but were met with a sort of shrug and then forced smile with scatter shot questions in broken english. We were originally staying for 5 nights but opted to leave after one, they did not seem to mind that we were leaving early it seemed almost routine.

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody who does not enjoy slumming it and DIY projects on their holiday.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rusty_Rimfire
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I had originally booked at this hotel for 5 nights because the pictures of the hotel looked decent. When I arrived the location was terrible and the hotel was even worse. We got to the reception and the girl was rude and the porter didn't even help us carry our luggage to the rooms. When we entered our room it was very dirty and the bed was rock hard. There was also a lot of noise as it was next to a huge construction site. Worse hotel I've ever stayed at. The photos on here are very deceiving. Not recommended it was a rip off!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AusTravellers88
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed as a couple for 2 nights. The lobby made a modern impression, but very run down and dirty. The room (standard, low category, dont remember) was okay, two king size beds. Small bathroom with nice shower. Dark room since only a window in the bathroom. Someone knocked on our door in the middle of the night, not very lovely place to stay.
The price was cheap though and connection to Metro and the city center is good.
Would not go there again unless price is very cheap and I dont find any other place nearby... Rather be looking for something else!!!

Room Tip: try to get tower a
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blondieCologne
Reviewed 23 May 2010

From the moment taxi left me in front of the hotel I had a bad feeling about this place and god I was right. People working on the reception are trying to be nice but their knowledge of english is poor. After I checked in (lasted about half hour) I was shown to my room. Room was in the building next to the main building and the hallways look like under construction. First thing I noticed were the grey sheets on my bed. I entered the bathroom and there isn't a shower cabin(shower is just attached to the wall and if you get a shower the whole bathroom gets wet. Toilet was clogged and the towels were dirty. Whoever rated this hotel 4* was not here or was paid under the table. This is a 1* hotel and not even close to the second *.

2  Thank seljo
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We booked this hotel because we saw it had a round room with a round bed! We booked it for 5 night but stayed only 1 because upon styaing there that night we noticed how dirty everything was. There was hair all over the carpet and the sheets still had cigarette stains on them even though it was a non smoking room and there were still ash trays in the room. Also there was alot of construction going on aroudn the hotel and you could hear everything. Needless to say we checked out early.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple