Holiday Inn Express Shangdi
US$267
US$165
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewscleaning feesubway stationcentral beijingbusiness tripplatinum memberfree shuttleenjoyed my stayminute walkstay there againbreakfast buffetairportinternetgymchinesetaximcdonaldschina
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Well, I have to admit as a holiday inn hotel, it's not that excellent, when I first arrived, I was surprised that it didn't even have fridge in-room, nor is there a gym. I stayed at the hotel for nearly 5 months, from March to August 2011, on and off, because the client is closeby and there's not much choice if I don't want to commute in the infamous Beijing peak hour traffic.
But all the staff were very friendly, although sometimes not proficient, they all meant well and willing to give you a hand. Given the price paid, I think it's worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BeyondRachel
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Our office moved to a location near here (Zhonguancun Software Park). So, we decided to stay here, and avoid Beijing traffic.

The location is convenient. There is a free shuttle to the software park, as well as other high tech business nearby. There is no return shuttle, but you can find a taxi.

The hotel itself is not special. It's relatively new, so rooms are in good shape. The hotel seems aimed not at foreigners, but for Chinese. Many signs and brochures are not printed in English, only Chinese. The restaurant is very basic, with a couple fixed meals at night. Breakfast is ok, mostly Chinese.

For me, I'll probably stay further away next time at a nicer hotel and take the subway up. But, if you have business up here, don't want to deal with traffic or the subway, this is a reasonable alternative.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank bjblue
Reviewed 9 June 2011

The location of the Hotel is within short walking distance from the Shangdi MRT/Metro/Sub way station. The Hotel is mainly for the business traveller who wants to stay near the IT /Business Zone in Shangdi District. The best thing is the price - I am sure you wont get the Holiday Inn hospitality anywhere with this price.
There are couple of attractions like the summer palace etc are within short distance from this Hotel.
The Rooms are standard, but the breakfast is good. The resturent and bar is not that great, try out the food joints opposite to the Hotel.
The Hotel could be reached directly by the Airport Shuttel (if you have 2 Hrs to spare vis a vis about 1& half hrs & 140 RMB in cab) or MRT.
The reception and room service is good.
Try the small shopping place towards the Shangdi metro - for bergain shopping.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank nabarunr
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I stayed here twice for three weeks each trip. Unfortunately, the first trip yielded better results than the second. On the second trip, I found that the restaurant had been severely handicapped by whatever new business plan Holiday Inn had adopted, and they had replaced a decent 10 page menu with a one pager that had 6 items on it, half of which were not available.

Additionally, if you enjoy coffee in the morning, this is not the place for you. There were more than a few times the coffee machine was broken, but when it wasn't, the coffee it urned out was super strong and there was no option for cream, despite that on the first trip (and for the first few days of the second trip), cream was available. In fact, when I inquired with the manager about cream, he actually claimed they never served it, which was not true. In fact, he insinuated I was lying by saying they did, which I found offensive.

One night, I went down to get food around 9:30 pm. The restaurant is supposed to be open until 10 pm, but they had already closed despite that they were at full capacity. I thought this was unprofessional, but with the language barrier, when I inquired, they just looked at me like I was crazy. So I had to go to the little convenient mart that they have shoved into a closet sized space with very overpriced items (for example 6 RMB for a bottle of coke, or 25 RMB for a bowl of that instant noodle soup).

Despite the American brand, few staffers in the hotel spoke well enough English to assist me most of the time.

If you can find another hotel that better suits your "western" desires, do so, as this one barely cuts the mustard. The rooms are nice and clean, but the service leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank crabideau
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I stayed here for a business trip, for this purpose the hotel was more than adequate. My room was modern, comfortable, clean and really large. The shower was a huge walk in shower. The TV has a number of cable channels (none English) but does include a sports channel. There is a safe in the room and free broadband. There is also free internet in the business centre. There aren't irons in the room but there is a "laundry corner" on the 3rd floor with ironing facilities. The hotel staff have a basic grasp of English but it is a struggle! There is a mini-bus to drop you at your office locally which is a great free service. It runs at about 4 allocated slots in the morning; I took it at either 08:15 or 08:45. The hotel is approx 7 mins walk to Shangdi subway, then about 40 mins (with 2 changes) into the centre of Beijing. I would not recommend for tourists due to the travel time to the major locations. Breakfast included a good selection of food, although we only had toast and orange juice. There were noodles and other traditional chinese foods for those who wanted it! The bar is quite small but they served us peanuts with our beer and the price for drinks was reasonable. Shangdi has lots of restaurants (including Pizza Hut and KFC within 10 mins walk).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business