I stayed here twice for three weeks each trip. Unfortunately, the first trip yielded better results than the second. On the second trip, I found that the restaurant had been severely handicapped by whatever new business plan Holiday Inn had adopted, and they had replaced a decent 10 page menu with a one pager that had 6 items on it, half of which were not available.
Additionally, if you enjoy coffee in the morning, this is not the place for you. There were more than a few times the coffee machine was broken, but when it wasn't, the coffee it urned out was super strong and there was no option for cream, despite that on the first trip (and for the first few days of the second trip), cream was available. In fact, when I inquired with the manager about cream, he actually claimed they never served it, which was not true. In fact, he insinuated I was lying by saying they did, which I found offensive.
One night, I went down to get food around 9:30 pm. The restaurant is supposed to be open until 10 pm, but they had already closed despite that they were at full capacity. I thought this was unprofessional, but with the language barrier, when I inquired, they just looked at me like I was crazy. So I had to go to the little convenient mart that they have shoved into a closet sized space with very overpriced items (for example 6 RMB for a bottle of coke, or 25 RMB for a bowl of that instant noodle soup).
Despite the American brand, few staffers in the hotel spoke well enough English to assist me most of the time.
If you can find another hotel that better suits your "western" desires, do so, as this one barely cuts the mustard. The rooms are nice and clean, but the service leaves a lot to be desired.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome to Holiday Inn Express Shangdi Beijing. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Zhongguancun Shangdi information industry base with close proximity to the famous Tsinghua University and Peking University. Beijing Capital International Airport Shuttle Bus directly to hotel. The hotel is 10 minutes away from historical Summer Palace and Yuan Ming Yuan Park, Only 5minutes walking distance to Shangdi Subway station. The hotel features196 well appointed guest rooms functionally equipped with a 26 inch LCD television set, satellite and more than 70 cable channels including CNN, HBO, NHK, NOW, Phoenix and in-room safe. Guests are entitled free to wireless high-speed internet connection in-room or at any public area within the hotel and complimentary use of computers in the business center. More so, free buffet breakfast is included. Other hotel facilities include a meeting room, unique concept Great Room F&B outlet, self-service laundry and ticketing vending machine Holiday Inn Express Shangdi Beijing is the only international brand hotel in the area that truly understands the needs of business travelers.Hotel Address and Direction: -- No.33 Shangdi East Road Beijing 100085 P.R. China -- 200m s drive East from the East of Shangdi Roundabout.From Beijng Capital Airport to HotelTake the airport transfer bus to Shangdi ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Shangdi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Shangdi Hotel Beijing
- Holiday Inn Beijing
- Holiday Inn Express Beijing
- Beijing Holiday Inn