“a pretty good hotal”

Ranked #140 of 6,483 Hotels in Beijing
Singapore River, Singapore
“a pretty good hotal”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The location is a little far from most of the scenic places and one has to take a taxi which cost about 70 rmb and about half an hour to most of these secenic places like the forbidden city etc. However it is about 10 minutes drive from the Olympic Village. it is located diretly opposite the world famous Quanjude Peking duck restuarant. There is also a super market directly opposite the hotel.

The staff of the hotel is good, friendly and attentive. Response to services requested is pretty fast. The room is of decent size although the layout for the newer wing is better than the older wing. the breakfast spread is so so, nothing to crow about in terms of quality.

The bed is pretty firm and the room is well kept and clean.Overall the hotel is value for money

Room Tip: Asked for the non smoking room if you are not a smoker
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LokeSM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Terrible hotel, from front desk - room - restaurant. No services at all. Staff are lazy,
Front Desk - I didn't book twin bed room, coz they can't find the king bed, then they said I DID book at twin bed. Actually, they don't try to find it for me. Ok, eventually, gave me the King bed but on the smoking floor....I went back to front desk with all my luggages....after 30 seconds, gave me the non-smoking floor (but I need to bring all my luggage back to front desk to ask them), staff play game Terrible
Room - in the morning, start at 8;30, some decoration job will start next to my room.., I don't have any notice when I checkin the room Terrible
Waiitng lift in the lobby, lift door open, but close immediately coz their staff didn't hold it, just try to close the lift door asap....terrible.
Restaurant - we have six person, can't arrange sit together. (WE ARE SIX not SIXTEEN!) Terrible
when I check out early in the morning around 5:30, front desk staff non stop yawn, so unprofessional.
This hotel is consistency bad services

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank K L
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Do not upgrade your room. The rooms are all the same. The upgrade give ZERO benefit.

My upgraded room was 1 floor higher. Exactly the same layout. Wifi was included in my corporate rate, so the upgrade gave no wifi benefit either.

Beds are very hard. They are like sleeping on concrete. Although I asked for extra blankets to soften the bed, I still slept badly and woke with aches.

The upgraded room had large water stains and mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. The bottom of the shower so was starting to build up mold. Finally, the bathroom had a strong sewer odor in the mornings.

Managements response to my complaint was that if I came back, they would make it up toe on the next stay.

Why would I want to come back?

• Stayed August 2013
Foix, France
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed here for three nights during a private tour of China in September 2011 with Oriental Travel of London. The Hotel is situated on a wide and busy road but the hotel has a slip road for taxis etc. The nearest subway is only a 10 minute walk away and is convenient for the Lama and Confucius Temples, the shopping centre of Wangfujing, and the Forbidden City etc.
Opposite the hotel is a shopping mall/market, "Macdo Cafe" and an excellent bakery chain.
The buffet breakfast offers a wide variety of food ranging from bacon and eggs to cereal, vegetables, salades, fresh fruit and fried rice or noodles!
I took a faulty hairdryer to the reception before breakfast and by the time I had returned to my room it had already been replaced.
Overall an impressive hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Rooms are clean. Hotel breakfast average. Location good for business travelers heading to wang jing. For tourist, better off to stay closer to second ring or within. Subway at datun about 10mins walk away. Most tourist sights are within walking distance from subway stations. Travel after 10am to avoid the peak hour crowd.

Room Tip: Use your gha to snag an upgrade. Rates are good during end June to aug.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Currently staying here for work - room is spacious and clean. Lobby's Cafe Marco has an eclectic selection of items for breakfast buffet. Staff are attentive and energetic. Can't ask for much more. The next time I am in Beijing, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank vagabond_for_life
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 13 June 2013

From Sunday, June 9th till Wednesday, June 12th, I and 4 of my staff stayed at the Marco Polo Parkside in Beijing. First of all I would like to mention the fact that the overall hygiene and cleanness was a disgrace. Not once was my room vaccum cleaned during my stay. Amenities never got refilled and bedsheets never got changed. I felt lucky that I had my towels changed! During my check-out I had to answer the ultimate question whether or not I had something from the minibar. I denied! Still, the hotel staff called the floor manager to check whether or not I am lying and whether or not I stole items from the room! I protested heavily to be treated as a liar and as a criminal, and I asked to talk to the MOD. Mrs. Angelina Hong, Assistant Manager, only confirmed that this is a standard procedure. As such I decided that me, my family and my company will never ever stay in any of the Marco Polo hotels ever again! It was such a humiliating experience in this hotel, it's beyond comprehension!

Room Tip: Even non-smoking rooms smell like a cigar lounge! Be very particular!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business