“Great Location - Great Potential”

Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing
Ranked #172 of 6,556 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 4 January 2009

The Days inn Forbidden City Beijing is a really good hotel, with good people, excellent location and really has everything going for it.

So I do wonder why I cant rate it that highly. In fact in terms of value for money this hotel has the potential to be the best in Beijing in its class. It has many good points including great housekeeping, good location and free internet. There isnt even really anything that they do wrong it is just either how they explain things or what they dont do.

The things that bugged me were basic easily fixed issues. For example

1. We had prepaid our week stay (through a Trip adviser site) and had confirmation all money was received and booking confirmed. So when we turned up we were not allowed to check in until we paid a further 500 rmb bond. We had just flown for 16 hours and travelled by train and cab to the hotel and at 6.00am in the morning we didnt have the cash. So we had to pay on a credit card. So instead of a raving review all about arriving at our hotel at 6.00am and getting our room immediately, instead we had a negative experience. When we left we were able to get the credit reversed easily, however it could have been handled much better or advised earlier. It is not uncommon to ask to have a copy of the credit card and I would happily agree to this, but requiring cash is NOT a good practice.

2. We had (based on a review) specifically booked a deluxe room with a view over the adjoining Hutong. However no one had told reception and a room was not available on check in. We were told we would be moved later that day when available. After a week we still had the same room we started in. It was a perfectly comfortable room, but was very small. The bathroom was almost bigger than the bedroom. Basically if you say something is going to happen it should be up to someone to ensure it does happen. Also the booking system should be able to record requests so front desk staff know what has been requested.

3. For the European New Years Eve we asked the front desk what was on locally that we could go to and celebrate at. I was told they didnt know as foreign tourists arent their major market. Ironically I rang another hotel we had used previously in Beijing and they gave us a list of activities and also arranged our New Year trip for us free of charge! Surely there must be a central visitor information record of these things that could be posted in the lobby. Even better task a member of staff with good english to keep this up to date and offer some alternatives to all guests looking for things to do. If they sell other peoples tours the commission could even make the hotel some money. Dont get me started on why promote yourself overseas if this is not your market!

4. For room service I have no problem paying the price plus an additional service charge. However the adjoining cafe/restaurant also has a 10% service fee for anything ordered, even a soft drink. I thought this could have been built into the price of the item, however the prices are already pretty steep compared with adjoining restaurants. A glass of local beer effectively costs over 30rmb with the services fee, yet a bottle (maybe three glasses) is only 25-35rmb in many local restaurants and as little as 5 rmb at the shop next door. We didnt even have a breakfast which at 68rmb was more than we paid for a meal for two nearby. A main course in the evening (150-190rmb) would have cost us more than we paid for a two course meal with drinks at another restaurant (130rmb).

5. When we tried to take taxis from the forecourt they often quoted very high prices before setting off. For example a trip to the drum tower the two taxi drivers in the forecourt wanted 50rmb as a fee. So we walked off and flagged one down outside and paid 18rmb on the meter. It seemed to be a small scam where drivers parked on the foyer charged foreigners excessively.

So would I recommend Days Inn Forbidden City to others? Yes, I guess so as it is a good place and has a good team. For most people it will be ideal.I would stay there again if I needed to..

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 December 2008

Hi! We stayed at the hotel for a couple of days ,the location is definately very very good, you can spend two days visiting places within walking distance to this hotel. The hotel is new so it was well maintaines ,neat and clean.The only thing which was negative about this hotel was the size of the room,it was quite small,you hardly have place to walk if you have 2-3 luggage with you,the bathroom were nice and big in proportion to the room.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel about a year ago, when it was still brand new and LOVED it, it was one of my favourite hotel stays ever. I now compare all budget hotels to this one...

In fact, on one of the two days I budgeted for sightseeing I got so comfortable under the fluffy duvet, watching the news on the flat screen TV, that I lost track of time and didn't leave the hotel until lunchtime, and didn't even regret it. It instantly felt like my bedroom at home, decorated in the style I like most in a hotel, with crisp white linen, clean neutral carpets, flat screen TV mounted on wall, glass shower door, big mirror... functional and minimalist and not at all kitch or mouldy or over the top.

I have to add that this was a small room, more than big enough for one person, but perhaps a bit more cramped for a couple.

This was a personal extension to a work trip, so I moved to the much posher Raffles hotel down the road a few days later (on work's expense) and I have to stay I missed the Days Inn which was much cosier!

There was the occasional language problem and growing pains as these were the early days of the hotel, I asked for a plug adaptor (for UK plug) on my first evening and they didn't have one or didn't understand me... But they didn't just move on and forget about it: later the same evening, several hours later, they knocked on my door, having sourced one! I was quite touched by the eagerness, actually.

Also, I booked the room on the internet and when I called them directly from Dubai to confirm my booking, they didn't understand me at all. But I needn't have worried, when I arrived and showed them the printout of my booking, all was well.

Room service was friendly and swift; internet access in the room was free, the breakfast was a bit uninspiring but at this price, I didn't mind at all, there are plenty of eateries in the area.

The location is perhaps best of all, right on top of the forbidden city as well as food street, upmarket malls etc - there is a reason why the fancy hotels like Raffles and the Grand Hyatt are located in this district and at the Days Inn you get to experience the area on a budget.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2008

I just returned from Beijng and the Days Inn Forbidden City is the place to stay... Walking distance from Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and WangFuJing Street it's a great spot to the those who visit Beijing...

The staff is very nice, english friendly and you'll feel like home.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2008

The location is very good. About 5-10 Minutes walk to either TianAnMen or WangFuJing. Closest subway is TianAnMen Dong, about 5 Minutes away.

The location is quite quiet. However, when I was there there was a construction site right next to my Window that started working at 07:00am. After I moved my room to the other side of the building it was OK.

The budged rooms are basically below ground level and have very small windows near the ceiling. Means rooms are quite dark. Rooms are also extremely small. But still OK value. On the plus side, the room safe could fit my 13" notebook.

The hotel is in OK shape. Staff is very friendly. The breakfast was good, but at RMB68 not exactly cheap.

I am not sure if I would stay again. Next time I may stay again in Days Inn Joiest.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2008

This hotel is in the perfect location to see Beijing. You can easily walk to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. The hotel itself is adequate and it is only a Days Inn but for a newer property (opened in 2007) it is already falling apart. My shower was leaky and had mildew and the carpet of the room was stained. I've stayed in many worse places but it seems like they cut corners on maintenance and upkeep. The staff was helpful and had decent English. The hotel breakfast is only about $10 a person but my family of four walked down the street each morning to a nearby dumpling restaurant and ate well for $10 total. You can't do better for the location but you can likely do better for the price. If I traveled with family I would likely stay here again. If I was by myself or just with my spouse I would likely look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2008

I stayed at the Days Inn for 7 nights in October/November 2008.
I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel.
We had a standard double room at the 3rd floor, we had a nice view over the hutongs from our window.
Our room was nice, very modern, normal size. We had one queen bed, not so big, but comfortable.
The flat TV - screen only offered 2 english channels, out of 60 channels that were on chinese.
Everything in the room was clean, except the floor, there were many hair in the floor and some in the bed too. The hotel offered slippers, we used them so the hair in the floor were not a problem.
Breakfast was not included, so we payed for it every morning, it was a little expensive, but they had a big selection so it was worth it, we payed around 70 Yuan per person.
The staff was nice and most of them speaked english, great if you want to ask something. We booked a tour to the Great Wall in the reception, I don't remember the price, just that it was quite cheap. The tour was fun, but we only haved 1 ½ hour on the wall, it was too little. I would recommend to hire a cab and do a private tour to the wall instead.
The reason for my trip to China, was actually of my mother's 50th birthday... On her birthday, the staff had left a really nice birthday cake in our room, so we got a real surprise when we got back to our room in the evening and discovered a cake! :-)
I definitely recommend a stay att the Days Inn hotel, very nice and just 5 minutes to Wang Fu Jing Street and 10 minutes to the Forbidden City. There were always some cabs outside the hotel or on the street...
My only complaint about this hotel is about the deposit the hotel wanted the first day when we checked in, I don't know if this is normal in China, but I thinked it was a little strange. The staff said the deposit for one day was 115 yuan, so they asked for 1.000 yuan in deposit for our stay, it's more than 115 per day, so I really don't understand it. But we had to give them 1.000 yuan in deposit, this was not fun, because we could have spend the money on our vacation... we had them back when we checked out, but we were going home then, so you couldn't spend them... that was really stupid, at least I think so... This is the only thing I didn't liked with the hotel, if you're going to stay at this hotel bring some extra yuan for the deposit....!

I don't think you're going to regret if you book this hotel, it's great, if you disregard from the deposit!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family