“Excellent for that price!”
Review of Zhong An Hotel

Zhong An Hotel
Ranked #216 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 4 February 2014

+: very closed to the railwaystation, very clean, free wifi, nice price, good service at the reception, where we've booked a taxi to the Chinese Wall and back, and also the taxi to the airport.
-: not easy to find it for the 1st time. TIP! Print the name of the hotel and the street in Chinese (so you can ask a local people to show the direction) and a map with the location of it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Krristina

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Honestly, when I first stepped into our room, I was quite shocked, the room (and other hotel facilities as well) was more a hostel style room than a *** hotel. The room was very basic, with no wardrobe and not much space, but what was the worst for me - there was no door into the bathroom, the bathroom was separated from the rest of the room only by a curtain! Which is OK if you want to take a shower, but not that much OK if you need to use the toilet and you share the room with your boyfriend...

Also as Chinese eating etiquette is very different from the Western one, table after Chinese breakfast is a real mess. So if you fancy to have a decent breakfast, have it as soon as possible so you have a chance to encounter a clean table (Chinese get up very early, the breakfast is served only until 9 am, so you should come at 7.30 or even earlier...).

Honestly, if I hadn't pay the hotel before I saw it, I would probably have considered changing it after first seeing it. But after the first two days I got used to it (except for the curtain in the bathroom :) , what was essential for me was the cleanliness of the room. But please note that this is really more a hostel-type facility, so if you are searching for something fancy, this hotel is not for you.

Location of this hotel is very good though as it is right next to the main train station and next to the Line 2 metro (which is a central line), so you get very quickly anywhere you need to get.

Staff was very helpfull and spoke quite good English (which is really exceptional in Beijing).

Room was cleaned every day and the cleanliness of the room was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Silvie K
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Hotel is in a small Hutong. To get there from the airport, we took the Airport Shuttle Line 3 for 16 yuan to Beijing Railway Station, the last stop. Once off the bus, it's about 5 minutes' walk to the hotel. Since we have a lot of luggage, we hired a tricycle for 25 yuan to carry our luggage to the hotel while we walked along it.

There are a lot of people living, sell food and groceries in the hutongs leading to the hotel. The hutongs do not smell that good. But this is authentic Chinese living, full of people of lower income level. So if you want to have a firsthand exposure of how people of less privileges live, this is a good hotel to stay. Mind you, this is not a glitzy place, but the environment is comfortable and safe and unpretentious.

The hotel itself has a nice restaurant. We ate free breakfast there everyday and had one dinner there. The food is above average and the restaurant is nicely air conditioned.

The front desk is ok, No professional smiles, but they were quick to help us whenever needed. The room (we had the family suite) was nicely decorated and quite large. We had a king size bed and a queen size sofa bed for 4 people. The king size bed was very good and in a separate room. The sofa bed was not that comfortable but ok with short stay. The room is clean and has free wifi.

It is 10 minutes walk to the subway entrance in the Beijing railway station. There are also a lot of bus stations around, but you have to do some more researches on exactly where the bus stations is, since Beijing railway station is a huge.area.

I am not sure whether I'll stay here again next time in Beijing. But I am pretty happy that we stayed here. It was a good experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Fan J
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many , many times over the years. It's ideally situated for getting around Beijing, economically priced and i've always had great friendly service. The restaurant is excellent and reasonably priced. I would never stay anywhere else whilst visiting Beijing.
It's also a great place to meet fellow travellers to share experiences whilst relaxing in it's comfortable courtyard in the warm evenings in spring and autumn.
Whether your there for business or just holidaying it's ideal............Highly recommended on a low budget.

Room Tip: If there's more than two visiting together, the apartment is ideal.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I needed a basic day room for a very late night flight. The hotel is well situated for the Beijing Railway station as well as the airport bus service. However, it is in one of the alleys adjacent to the station precinct, and very difficult to find. It was a very interesting history. My room was very basic, but reasonably clean. It is not geared to Western tourists seeking the creature comforts of the big chain hotels, but is perfectly adequate for a short stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2013

The hotel was overall very good. We stayed there for 4 nights and never had a problem with the staff or getting assistance if needed. I speak Mandarin but the other two friends I was with only knew phrases at best and they didn't have any problems to speak of. They offered us suggestions on where to go for different things. We were able to get directions to the bus system to take as to a different area of the Great Wall that isn't a tourist trap and had a great time. Location was nearby the Forbidden City, Tian an men square and other historical sites. The hotel had chinese food with some western variations and it was good. Also nearby at the Henderson Plaza was franchise American food and ice cream. It isn't the Ritz Carlton (if it was I couldn't have afforded it) but it does treat you well, is comfortable, has internet, Air conditioning and was better than just meeting needs. It is in a tricky spot to find but once you know where it is you're coming and going isn't a problem. Some have made mention of hearing the trains from the nearby station...we didn't have a problem and we were in different rooms in different parts of the hotel (cheap rooms weren't closeby each other). the courtyard area was very nice, as the rest of the hotel and is a place we will stay in again when we are there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Spudman86
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Zhong An Hotel is a Trainspotters Paradise! But I'm no trainspotter. However, I was not too disturbed by the trains outside my window. The horn honking is worst at about 11pm and again at about 6am. Luckily I sleep during the intervening 7 hours. I've stayed at hotels overlooking streets of China with infinitely more horn honking! Wired in-room internet is somewhat unreliable, and you have to ask the front desk to turn it on (Why don't they do this automatically?) TV has no english channels. Room is ok, but basic. I like the shower, with shower curtain, so no sopping wet washroom afterwards. Convenient location by the train station+subway+buses+major tourist attractions. Stay here, and skip the China Railway Museum. Outside your window is a continuous showing of Chinese rolling stock of every imaginable description. I admired the hotel's double windows (not just double pane windows, but full-on, two sets of double pane windows) to try keeping the noise out. It helps. I was not bothered, even though the horns reach a crescendo at 11pm. The room was fine, if a bit basic. Can't say the same for the internet: too slow to the point of dying every evening once the guests check in.
Excellent restaurant! Breakfast buffet in the morning was included in my room rate. It would be perfect for vegetarians: good variety of veggies offered: broccoli, pumpkin, cauliflower, and many many more. I had dinner here a couple nights, at reasonable prices and enjoyable.
I was never impressed by the hotel staff at the front desk, so don't expect much. Usually one speaker of limited English is available, so that does help. But generally, they can't be bothered to attend to the guests.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business