“Great Experience, Awesome Value and Perfect Location”
Review of Zhong An Hotel

Zhong An Hotel
Ranked #479 of 6,463 Hotels in Beijing
London, United Kingdom
“Great Experience, Awesome Value and Perfect Location”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My stay in the Zhong An marked my first ever visit to China and was a great experience for me. Upon arrival ( I took the bus from Beijing Airport arriving at the train station) I did struggle to find the Hotel as the Beijing Hutongs are hard to navigate and after a long flight and being thrown into your first steps in China it;s a bit disorientating,
After battling off a crew of locals who wanted to charge me to show me the way a nice guy with a briefcase (who was then slapped in the face by a local conman) pointed me in the right direction! The walk is only 5 mins max from the station and all it's nearby amenities.
I was a bit unerved at the start as the first alleyway you walk up is really ramshackle and there's a rather pungent public toilet you have to pass but then I spotted the neon and was happy to find the hotel!
I was lucky that my room was really quiet, no indication I was so close to a major train station and I found my room to be clean and cosy and had a wonderful stay there. I booked a single room and it was relativley spacious with en suite bathroom, spotless bedlinen and polite staff.
Had a few language difficulties with staff but they always made the effort to either pass me over to someone who spoke more English or made a call etc. There is also a desk there that operates tours and offers tourist info so you can book up trips the the Great Wall etc from the hotel. Unfortunlately my tour was cancelled at 6am minutes before I was geared up to head out as I was the only person booked on the trip...but the facility is there if you need it! Alternatively you can use the buses from the bus depot in Tianenmen for such trips to Ming Tombs, Great Wall ect!
As a solo female traveller I felt safe staying in this area and was really impressed with the location and how quickly and easily I could walk to major sights around the city. There is also the subway system closeby to get to areas further away which was very easy and cheap to use.
There's a great Veggie restaurant just over the road from the station which served up great food as well as a handful of convenience stores for snacks and supplies.
The busy Wangfujing street and night market were about 10 minutes walk away which was awesome. It;s a great base for anyone wanting to just wander around the city by foot as spots like the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square are easy walking distance.
Overally I would highly reccomend this place as it;s great value for money, decent rooms, clean, boasts friendly and helpful staff and is perfect location! I actually returned to the Zhong An a few weeks later when back in Beijing and once again could not fault my stay there!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
England
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel back in April but only just remembered to write a review on it now. The hotel is conveniently located in the centre of Beijing next to the big railway station. The subway station is just over the road. The hotel is a little tricky to find the first time (we had to ask for directions, which was difficult for our first time in China!) but it is just simply behind the police station which is next to the railway station. It is on a little back alley and although the street smells really badly (as unfortunately, a lot of Beijing's main city part does) and people spit all the time on the floor around you, the hotel itself is clean, smart and attractive.
It is quite small and has a definite traditional feeling about it, from the decor to the garden in the middle of it. The room had a nice flat screen TV but only one English speaking channel. The shower was nice as it was a sort of open space with a plug hole in the floor but a vast space to shower in, only parted by the shower curtain.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, they speak enough English to get by as long as you speak slowly and clearly for them (which is fair enough given we don't speak a word of Mandarin!!)
There is a tiny little shop where you can buy simple goods like water, sweets (I insisted on buying Galaxy bars for £1.50 a go just for a taste of home) and crisps etc...
The restaurant was ok... breakfast was a buffet and had enough food that was palatable to us Westerners but evening meal was a little bit more difficult (might I add that I am a staunch Vegetarian and struggled for the duration of the whole trip to eat..) The menu is very hard to decipher for English speakers and what I did order resembled nothing like the explanation.
One great feature of the hotel was that they loaned us a desktop computer for the week we were there for something really cheap like £10 for the whole time. I avoid going on computers and internet when I am away as we are exposed to it enough at home but being so far away from home it was a luxury to be able to send emails to family back home.
Overall, it is a convenient, affordable, basic but decorative traditional Chinese hotel with a lovely ambience to it; lots of red hanging lanterns and dragon/mythical adornments everywhere.....

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Bovec, Slovenia
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We have stayed in this hotel for couple of days. First day we had a bit of trouble finding it (first time in china), but after a few tries we finaly located it. It is not on the main street, therefore it is a strange feeling waliking off the main street into this "hutong". We have never experienced problems though.

Hotel is nice, reception desk is OK, they have a desk to book tours, activities, etc.

Hotel room was decent, clean. Our window looked just at main Beijing railroad station, but it was not noisy - even if windows were not best quality. Bed was good, thoug one pillow was hery heavy and hard. Bathroom was clean, some small issues needed fix.

We did not use breakfast service( if they have one).

Good location if you continue travel or come in by train (we went to shanghai) as railoroad station is close.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Stayed in this property while travelling China and visiting Beijing. This hotels is very close to one of the important train stations in the city and also close to the subway. Breakfast (chinese style) is include and internet is provided in the lobby. Rooms are ok, and bathroom is clean. A good relation price-quality.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cristian C
Panajachel, Guatemala
Reviewed 26 February 2010

This hotel suited our needs well with the price, location and room set-up. My husband & I were traveling with his parents over the Chinese New Year and they offer a 2 room apartment set-up (w/o fridge or microwave though). The bedding & towels were clean, but the rest of the place definitely needed a good clean. Didn't appear that the hotel has a vaccum as there were bits of dirt and debris all over the carpet areas with thick lines of dust along base boards & under beds, etc. The bathtub had soap scum residue and the kitchen counter had leftover black sticky stuff on it. Outside of that, we had a good experience, the staff was fairly helpful & gracious. It isn't easy to find the first time, we called the hotel & had them speak to our taxi driver & had no problem.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2010

500m to the east and south of Beijing's main railway station in a locally-typical housing area. It has a very good standard of apartment, particularly in view of the reasonable tariff. The station is nearby, but I was not aware of any traffic noise. Many transport links also nearby - but initially you need to either speak Chinese, or have the address written in Chinese for a taxi driver.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank JMc_8
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We got off the trans mongolian train and went to the tourist board who suggested this hotel.

It's fine if you want a cheap convenient place to stay, it is near the tube and train station and there are lots of restaurants and shops nearby. The room was clean and modern, free water, wifi and toiletries, someone mentioned in a previous review that there were condoms in the bathroom, in my time travelling in China all of the hotels put condoms in the room even five star ones, so doesn't mean that this place is 'one of those' sorts of hotels!

Breakfast wasn't up to much, Chinese style and you need to get in early if you want any of it as the staff from the police station next door tend to take over.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple