“A great hotel for an old-world experience!”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 6,568 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 24 June 2011

If you want a more authentic local experience, then this is the place for you. The hotel is in a traditional hutong and is utterly charming. The staff speak English well and are accommodating and friendly. The room we had was very small, but delightfully furnished with elegant old-fashioned pieces, and had a modern bathroom, flat-screen TV, and an exotic and comfortable bed. The neighbourhood is safe, with a sleepy police station nearby, and there are a few great restaurants along the alley. Breakfast is good - a mix of Western and Chinese. If you want a warm and memorable hotel, this one's for you!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed 22 June 2011

- Very nice and available english speaking staff helping a lot in organizing sightseeing tours (thank you girls !!)
- Free internet wireless connection !
- Located nearby metro station, bank with ATM for cash withdrawal and post office
- Chinese-style traditional hotel in a typical Hutong
- Quiet room (including PC + headphones)
- Excellent cleanliness
- Large breakfast

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2011

They went out of their way and spent significant time and effort trying to return to us the money we had forgetfully left behind in their safe. Above and beyond ordinary expectations! We had the wedding suite, but I think the charm of the place--courtyards and friendly staff-- would have been enough even without the special room.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marty56003
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I only got to stay one night at this hotel which was my first night in Beijing. I got there very late after my flight was delayed and the staff had to help my cab driver find it. The hotel would probably send a car for you though or I am sure they would arrange it. This is pretty luxurious hotel but it's character is completely Chinese, which I loved! My room was beautiful and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The staff was amazing. I arrived very late and the bar had just about shut down for the night and I think they kept it open just so I could grab a very gratifying cold beer after my long day of travel.

Because of finances I moved to a hostel the following day but I would have loved to stay in this hotel for my entire stay. I think their rates are very reasonable but I was running low on funds, so I moved to a hostel. They had no problem setting me up in a cab and providing directions to the cab driver for my difficult to find hostel.

I would absolutely love to stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This is courtyard hotel, based on a former nineteenth century courtyard house. In other words, it is typical of the 'old china' - most of the guests are westerners, although with a few chinese. Having said that, the staff are extremely helpful, friendly and pleasant, the surroundings peceful - there is an especially beautiful courtyard/garden with flowing water and seats and tables. Breakfast is good, with coffee and some western as well as much chinese food and was included in the price - around £40 for a single room, which in fact was upgraded free of charge when I arrived. I especially liked the peaceful atmosphere and authentic furnishings. Will return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Johnolbrich
Reviewed 9 June 2011

A great little hotel in charming local area not to far away from the subway. Especially the staff has to be acknowledged for their helpfullness.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and it had been recommended to me by my colleague who stayed here in February this year and i did not regret having accepted his suggestion.

For a true experience of the traditional courtyard residences in Beijing and the real feel of the Hutong as life used to be during the dynasty period, this is the place to be, yet in a clean, relaxed and very safe environment. The hotel has a very traditional feeling with the basic modernities of today. The buffet breakfast was great and the staff was extremely friendly. Thank you Vivian, Cathy and Cindy for your warm hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo