“Double happiness in Beijing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #12 of 6,442 Hotels in Beijing
Melbourne, Australia
“Double happiness in Beijing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

My wife & I very much enjoyed our recent stay at this hotel. It is located in a Hutong (alley) where you can experience the "real" Beijing. There are many good restaurants in the vicinity. All the staff are very friendly and helpful & the breakfast provided is good. It's great to be able to relax in the courtyard after a hard days sight seeing. Whilst the rooms are on the small side this didn't bother us as we spent very little time in our room. I recommend this hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ShaieB_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

We really enjoyed out stay of 7 nights in the 'wedding suite' of this hotel in the hutong. A great way to experience some authentic culture! The staff were very helpful, the breakfast offered was plentiful, there was a computer in the room with free wifi. We found lots of great eateries within a few minutes of the hotel and the subway and grocery store only a short distance. Some taxis didn"t want to take us up the alley to the hotel but we enjoyed our walks from the main roads to the hotel so this was not a problem. We had organised transport on arrival and departure so bags were not an issue. I would highly recommend this hotel.......

1 Thank SunshineCoastLady
Creston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Just got back from our time in China. The Beijing Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel was instrumental in our AMAZING holiday in China.

First, we were in contact with the hotel prior to our arrival in China and the e-mails were replied to quickly and efficiently. We needed to book our train tickets to Xi'an for very specific dates with very specific sleeping arrangements. The hotel handled this all for us, prior to our arrival, via e-mail. Also any specific room requirements mentioned in the e-mails were in place when we arrived.

Secondly, the hotel is an oasis of tranquility in a busy, and HUGE city. The rooms are well appointed with a bathroom that would be at home in most western houses. The bed in our first room was a little hard as there is no box spring and the mattress was foam (228). Our second room was much better (006) with a spring mattress and even a private roof-top terrace. As countless other reviews have said the rooms are great. The best part of the accomodations are the courtyards. A great way to decompress after a hectic day. Just sitting out on the swinging bench/table using the free wi-fi and drinking a 50 cent Chinese beer... doesn't get any better.

Thirdly, the area/hutong is ideal. There is a Wu-Mart about 10 minute's walk, right by the Dongsi "B" subway entrance. Expand your culinary bounderies, check out the unusual (for us) offerings. I bought a bunch of packaged spicy chicken feet for souvenirs, yum!! Go great with the inexpensive Chinese beer. The location was very important for us primarily as it gave us a glimpse into Chinese life. In a western style hotel I was afraid I'd be insulated from the "real" China. Walking down the alley was an experience as there are bikes, electric bikes, motorcycles, trikes, and even the occasional car that ply the alley. I'll hear bike bells in my sleep for the next few weeks!! Lots of local shops where you can get an ice cream or soft drink.

Fourthly, the area has a good selection of restaurants. For the traditional Peking Duck there's a Dadong restaurant about 15 minutes walk. Famous for their lean Peking Duck if you can get by their impersonal, frankly unfriendly service you'll have an enjoyable meal. Another restaurant nearby (turn right as you exit the hotel) is "Taste", in the hutong. Mango chicken was enjoyable as well as the noodles with spicy pork sauce. Pricy and small, make reservations. Another restaurant in the hutong was "Small Cafe". The restaurant is owned by a Chinese fellow that is quite well-travelled, claiming to have visited 52 countries. He speaks very good english and is helpful with menu suggestions, of which there aren't many. Good Thai Green Curry, although I make one as good or better. A chance to try something different while in China. Our favourite though was a restaurant I found while reading another Tripadvisor review of the Double Happiness Hotel. It is a Chinese muslim restaurant in the next hutong. Turn left as you leave the hotel, then left again at the end of the alley. The restaurant is located in the next hutong/alley (Dong Si Wu Tiao) right on the corner, on the right hand side (see my pics). We met the waitress (Cheung Yinyin) who suggested MANY dishes, all "Very, very good" as she put it. We didn't know it was a muslim restaurant, thinking it was just traditional Chinese so we were surprised to see some of the dishes had bread in them. Wow, the best meal we had in China... and also the cheapest. We (4 of us) ate like kings, including drinks (beer, Coke) and the whole meal was around 100 Yuan ($16 CDN). We couldn't even finish the whole thing. Spicy Spinach, Spicy beef (had cumin and other spices), fried rice, beef skewers, and a potato, bread, chicken, hot pepper, tomato and onion "stew" (small, 40 Yuan). If you only order one thing order the tomato stew thing. We ordered the small (40 Yuan) and it was the size of a pizza platter. I'm sure the large is the size of a manhole cover!! Surreal eating at a miniature table and stools on the edge of the alley with the locals. At one point a huge dump truck almost ran the lot of us over. Where else can you say a dump truck drove through your restaurant?!?

Lastly and most importantly, the staff (De De, Kathy, Lily, Jacklyn, Catherine, Aggie, Sunny, Tency and Alan) were SIMPLY THE BEST. While the accomodations are great, the staff are superb and truly make this THE hotel to stay at. Any problems were addressed immediately, they were happy to make any bookings or arrangements you needed. We even got to go to the Great Wall at Mutianyu with Lily! The kids thought she was the best, she really added to our Great Wall experience. Make sure you ask De De to come camping on the Great Wall with you, she LOVES it!! Just bring your rubbish bag full of bedding, De De and a sense of adventure!!When we arrived (quite late, after midnight) the lovely Kathy met us at the front door and helped us with our taxi driver. She got us all checked in quickly so we could go to our room and crash. They were so great to talk to after a long day's adventures. They helped us with sorting out our subway routes, written instructions for taxi drivers (make sure you have your little yellow card for the taxi return trip to the hotel!!) and even giving us advice on bargaining at the "Dirt Market". While we were strangers when we met, we were friends when we parted.

So, if you want an experience as important as any other while you're in China stay at the Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel. I did, and I wouldn't trade our time there for anything!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank CDNVistaCruiser
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

If you choose to stay in one of the western-clone hotels in the city when you could stay here, you must be crazy. This felt like authentic China and I loved the fact that it was situated in a Hutong, so that we experienced local life.

The reception staff were fantastic - kind, helpful, friendly and attentive throughout our stay - and they spoke good English. The atmosphere in the hotel was calm and tranquil and the seating in the public courtyard sections was great - relaxing and gently convivial.

Breakfast was good, but my advice is to get there early as the room is quite small and you can find there's no place to sit if you arrive later in the breakfast session. However, this was never a problem for us.

In Shanghai, we stayed in a five star hotel which didn't offer us the convenience of the Double Happiness in Beijing. To have both free wifi and your own internet-connected PC in the room was something I've not had in any other hotel - and it's a big plus. Bigger/posher hotels take note! Oh, and they also supplied two free bottles of water each day. Once again, very helpful and something which so-called "superior" hotels would do well to emulate.

In summary, I can honestly say that this is the most memorable and pleasurable hotel I have stayed in. The whole experience was great and when I return to Beijing I will definitely book in to the Double Happiness - and if they have no room, I'll change my dates!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Malcvtr
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

My wife and me stayed for 4 nights in the Double Happiness. Authentic and well-restored hutong as you can find. All comfort. 10 minutes walk from Dongsi metro. Good base for a citytour in Beijing. One of the best features of this hotel is the enthusiasm of the staff. It was one of the reasons we selected this hotel since we are a bit wary when it comes to dealing with Chinese. I know, harsh ordeal, but people who have been in China understand what I mean...
Take my word: you are going to like a stay in this place!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. Especially the offer of free bike rental was great as it allows you to get around quickly. Taxi drivers don't really like to go there as it's hard for them to get in and out of the hutong and it's a bit hard to find first, so here's how to get there from Dongsi subway station: Walk out of the station to the right on Dongsi street, then into Dongsi Sitiao street to the right, which is the 3rd or 4th cross street. There's a little makeshift aquarium/fish stand at that corner (see pics). You'll find the hotel after about 250m.
They also arranged a driver for me to go to the Mutianyu section of Great Wall and a train ticket to Shanghai, so great service. The breakfast is very copious and more chinese than western which I find more interesting also. Just the salty oily duck egg is not necessarily my taste ;-)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Just back from Beijing which was the last stop on our China visit, having stayed in Xian and Shanghai also. We arrived on an overnight sleeper from Xian, caught the no 21 bus then the metro to Dongsi metro station and then a 5 minute walk to the hotel. It cost less than £1 to get there.This really felt like old China and even though you think you may have just arrived in the slums, the people who live in the Hutong are delightful, warm and friendly. The Double Happiness is situated at the top end of Dongsi Sitao (road) and the name of this hotel describes it perfectly. The staff are warm and friendly, the courtyard layout is relaxing in this bustling and very crowded city. The decor is sweet and they were fitting new carpet (red obvs) whilst we were there. There are nice touches of accommodating their Western visitors, in particular the breakfast. There are no many restaurants and eateries in the Hutong, you will be spoilt for choice. We felt totally at ease and were grateful as this was the fiirst area my husband and I were not being photographed by the locals or other Eastern tourists. I have travelled all over the World but this ranks as one of my favourite hotels ever - it's one that will stay in our hearts forever - thoroughly recommend! (Southport, Merseyside, UK)

1 Thank Karen N